Join our zoo community

Jardim Zoológico de Lisboa Lisbon Zoo

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Newzooboy, 21 Jan 2008.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks. The first evidence I've had since it was born that this baby is still doing okay.:) Have made a comment on the photo about the reason for my particular interest in it.

You didn't happen to notice a name anywhere for it?

Last edited: 17 Mar 2016
  2. Pertinax

Other than DNA testing, maybe they could trace the pure father from their records too, that's if only one of these two males was present at the conception date of the 2011 infant. But not if both of them were there.

Unfortunately I rather doubt they would return one from Sao Paulo all the way to Europe?

3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Sorry, no I didn't.

4. Pertinax

Someone traced it from their website- Jahiri.

5. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd already seen the video from that link but didn't think it was the same pair.

6. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1 Bottlenose Dolphin born at the end of May.

7. CindelP

CindelP Well-Known Member

Not really. Many of the areas where the iberian lynx is supose to live are protected areas but also many (and i mean many many thousands of acres) are land that is used to hunt (mainly rabbit and small birds). That quote is mainly to hunters, to get them sensitive to the lynx and to understand that it is possible to get territories where hunting is allowed and that the lynx also live there.

This is also important because there is a major lack of wild rabbits in Portugal because of mixomatosis and hemorragic fever and some hunters dont really like the idea to introduce (or should i say, re introduce) the lynx, that will kill/predate the rabbits.

So that quote must be taken in contex on the portuguese hunting reallity. However, and im happy to say, that almost all hunter commuty are happy to have the lynx back.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  8. CindelP

Hi everyone,

Im back (well, ive been lurking but unfortunally my time is scarce). Anyway, i went to Lisbon Zoo today and i would like to share some thoughs:

1. LZ is still an amazing zoo, the best of the whole Iberia Peninsula IMO, but im a little concerned.
    While it is notorious very money spend in some exibits as the new Iberian Lynx and it is a very clean zoo with beautifull gardens and green areas i do find that is hasnt really evolved in these last 5 years. By the oposite!
    This being said i do know that money must be scarce everywhere but even tought this is a city zoo (it is in the heart of Lisbon) one 40% of the land is trully used (you can check google maps, and see that the nothern side of the hill ....).

2. LZ was famous for the great hoofstock that it used to had, mainly thanks to the great imports from African colonies like Angola and Mozambique. Yet, i saw very little hoofstock today. In fact, the black face impala were reduced to 4, also the scimitar 4 ! Up the hill, where the road ends (being closed for years now) there were only 4 sable antelopes with some other roan antelopes and sitatungas. All of these looked quite old and not really in showy well taken care. These is not really a critic, but a fact and there may be a explanation (getting old age and not breeding? phasing out?). But it really made me think how a great colection of hoofstock as came to this....

3. Someone asked about the giraffe. Well, last time i was there i counted 11. Today i only say 7. And i must say not impressed. How are they breeding? Have any new blood been brought to the zoo?

5. About the indian rhinos has also someone has asked ... well, not sure! There were four, splited into twos. One seemed like m&f and the male was interested. The other it seen a mother and a youngster (1 1/2 old) but i dont think that they have bred. Ive update a cell photo that i took.

6. Lions : just by curiosity, have any new blood been brought?

7. Gorrilas semeed happy and the baby is as healhty as he can be! He is trully doing well and Nasibu looking great. Chimps seemeed a little fewer but a baby and also a great group. Orangs (4 total) doing great but perphas better shade in the exibit.

8. Dolphins : Theres a calf in display, but and dont take me wrong, i reallu dont like dolphins ans orcas in captivity

9. Overall a great zoo with an amazing colection of animals (for example in cats you find siberian tiger, sumatran tiger, persian leopard, snow leopard, ocelot, puma, clouded leopard, lion, iberian lynx, euroasia lynx, afrian lion, chitas (7 i think) and jaguars) but today i left with the impression that it could be much, but much better!

KEEPER and kiang like this.
  9. Pertinax

Good news the baby is still doing well. I believe one female- Ulca- died in the last year or so, leaving the group now as 2.2 ? being Nasibu, Anguka, the 2nd female(forget name) and the baby.

Do you have any update photos of them you can post in the gallery?

10. CindelP

Hi,

Yes, i believe youre correct. At least i only say Nasibu and other two adult females plus the baby.

Unfortunally i only took a photo with my cell, but i will post it right now.

Btw, the colubus monkey seen to be doing great with the gorillas.

11. Pertinax

Thanks, I saw it. Its a good record of the group as it is now. :) Nasibu and his little son are the only living descendants of an old female 'Delilah' who now lives at Belfast zoo.

CindelP likes this.
  12. CindelP

Hi everyone.

I got lucky and i had the morning off during a work trip so today I went again to Lisbon Zoo. My general idea is still the same as posted in January.

I didnt took my camera so i choose to take general photos of the exibit and animal witg my cell. Please excuse the quality and being a cloudy day didnt help.

I will post them in the gallery. If any questions, please just post here or on the photos.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2017
  13. Ducula

Ducula New Member

I feel that in many ways Lisboa has taken a step back, not only in the hoofstock collection but overall. How many hear can remember the bird collection of 15 years ago, with a great representation of pheasants, turacos and fruit doves? All but gone now. The marmoset collection was at one point one of the best around, and it is now also only a shadow of what it used to be.
    The zoo is clean enough, agree, but the exhibits are unkempt, and this gives a rather "dirty" look to them.
    The reptile house is dreadful and the collection of reptiles has suffered as much as the bird one.
    With Lisboa's mild climate, they could do so much more if the right resources were available/used properly.
    My 5-cents anyway.

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

15. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi zoochatters,
    in the middle of July I do plan a visit to Lisboa Zoo for the first time and would like to ask some questions. For me, as for others zoo-nerds, the highlight species is the Iberian Lynx. I will be visiting during hot and sunny summer and I know the lynxes have large and well-planted enclosure and I guess it will be quite tricky to spot the cats with no acessible indoor viewing. Do they have any favourite hidding spots or does anyone know what period of the day are they mostly active ? Immediately after opening time or before closing time ? Is there any regular feeding ? I'll have the whole day in the zoo (had to convince my girlfriend:rolleyes:) and I'll not leave the zoo until I see them:p. And my last question - do they still have Red-tailed Guenons and how many do they have ?
    I do appreciate any response to my questions and thanks for your help.

Jakub

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This thread I wrote last month may help a little:

Photographic Walkthrough of the "Tapada do Lince-ibérico" complex for Iberian Lynx & Iberian Rabbit [Jardim Zoológico de Lisboa]

The indoor area is visible via CCTV so you will be able to a) see if they are out at all and b) see when they go out and hence work out where in exhibit they will be emerging.

One individual remains as of last month.

17. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@TeaLovingDave
    thanks a lot for your reply regarding both Lisbon Zoo and Oceanario:).
    Jakub

18. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you mean that you only saw one animal, or only one remained? I am sure there were two in the enclosure when I visited last week. I wish Jakob good luck and that he sees the Iberian lynx; I only saw one on the CCTV. And can anyone confirm if there are still rabbits in the adjacent enclose; whilst their label is on show there did not appear to be any signs of occupation (droppings or feed).

Tim May likes this.
  19. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Indeed there were two red-tailed guenons on exhibit last week.

20. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Are there any news about elephants? Jassa has been there for a long time and still nothing. All five cows are genetically very valuable. Does the zoo plan to replace a bull if Jassa does not work?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.