Join our zoo community

List of books about individual zoos

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by TinoPup, 30 Oct 2018.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I figured I'd turn my amazon wish list into a post for here ;) They're sorted by zoo, then author. I've only included books that are specifically about individual zoos. There are others you can find that are about the parks that zoos are in where they maybe get a chapter, books that are primarily about wildlife but mention zoos, etc, but I haven't included those. I also haven't included books meant for children, or ones that aren't in English.

Brookfield Zoo
    -Let the Lions Roar!: The Evolution of Brookfield Zoo, Andrea Ross. Chicago Zoological Society, 1997. 273 page, hc. A history of the zoo, published by the zoo itself.
    -Brookfield Zoo & the Chicago Zoological Society (Images of America), Douglas Deuchler. Arcadia, 2009. 128 pages, pb. A history of the zoo.

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
    -Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (Images of Modern America), Joshua McMorrow-Hernandez. Arcadia, 2017. 96 pages, pb. A history of the zoo and theme park.

Cincinnati Zoo
    -
    The Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden: From Past to Present, David Ehrlinger. Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden, 1993. 141 pages, hc. A history of the zoo.
    -The Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden (Images of America), Joy W. Kraft. Arcadia, 2010. 128 pages, pb. A history of the zoo. "… the venture by bird-lover Andrew Erkenbrecher and friends blossomed into a top-tier zoo inspiring a passion for nature-a champion of endangered species with its own college-preparatory high school and an unrivaled commitment to education, research, and innovative breeding programs."

Cleveland Zoo
    -My Life in the Cleveland Zoo: A Memoir, Adam A. Smith. Drinian Press, 2014. 418 pages, pb. The story of Smith's life at the zoo, from a summer job as a tour train driver in his teens to night watchman after college and eventually an elephant keeper.

Columbus Zoo
    -Gorillas in our Mist: The Story of the Columbus Zoo Gorillas, Jeff Lyttle. Ohio State University Press, 2016. 214 pages, pb. "... chronicles the characters and events ... From the brutal capture of the zoo's first gorillas in the rain forests of Africa to the birth and mother-rearing of a fourth generation of offspring, author Jeff Lyttle takes the reader through the triumphs and tragedies of a captive gorilla program that is on the leading edge of the effort to preserve the endangered western lowland gorilla."

DeYoung Family Zoo
    -It’s a Wild Life: How My Life Became a Zoo, Bud DeYoung. Medallion Press, 2014. 256 pages, hc. "Welcome to the fascinating, heartwarming journey of one man, one woman, and an amazing cast of critters, whose stories will warm your soul."

Elmwood Park Zoo
    -Elmwood Park Zoo (Images of Modern America), Stan Huskey. Arcadia, 2016. 96 pages, pb. A history of the zoo. "Although the early years of the zoo were more akin to a small farm, it has gone through an extensive expansion during the past few decades. ... The zoo today, with new features including a zip line and a giraffe exhibit, looks to the future, with plans for even more exhibits, a new restaurant, and an additional 20 acres yet to be developed."

Knoxville Zoo
    -Knoxville Zoo, TN (Images of America), Sonya A. Haskins. Arcadia, 2007. 128 pages, pb. "This book celebrates the zoo’s fascinating history with approximately 200 black-and-white images and detailed captions of its birth, rebirth, and journey toward becoming one of the nation’s premier zoological institutions."

Lincoln Park Zoo
    -The Ark in the Park: The Story of Lincoln Park Zoo, Mark Rosenthal. University of Illinois Press, 2003. 216 pages, pb. "Looks at the development of Chicago's Lincoln Park Zoo, from its beginning in 1868 to the present day."

Memphis Zoo
    -Memphis Zoo (Images of America), Robert W. Dye. Arcadia, 2015. 128 pages, pb. A history of the zoo.

Mesker Park Zoo
    -A Pictorial History of Mesker Park Zoo, Evansville Zoological Society. M.T. Publishing, 2011. 208 pages, library binding. "...through a brief history complemented by hundreds of never before published photos from both the Willard Library archives and the zoo archives."

Milwaukee County Zoo
    -Milwaukee County Zoo (Images of America), Darlene Winter. Arcadia, 2014. 128 pages, pb. A history of the zoo.

New York City Zoological Society
    -Confessions of an Accidental Zoo Curator, Annette Berkovits. Tenth Planet Press, 2017. 338 pages, pb. "the inside scoop… was born in Kyrgyzstan and grew up in postwar Poland before coming to America at age sixteen. In her three-decade career with the Wildlife Conservation Society in New York, she spearheaded the institution’s nationwide and worldwide science education programs."
    -You Belong in a Zoo! Tales From a Lifetime Spent With Cobras, Crocs, and Other Creatures, Peter Brazaitis. Villard, 2003. 368 pages, hc. Peter went straight from high school to a job at the reptile house at the Bronx Zoo, where he stayed for 30 years before becoming curator at the Central Park Zoo.
    -New York City Zoos and Aquarium (Images of America), Joan Scheier. Arcadia, 2006. 128 pages, pb. A history of the 5 zoos and 1 aquarium within NYC, along with some children's zoos that have existed.

New York City Zoological Society: Bronx Zoo
    - Gathering of Animals: An unconventional history of the New York Zoological Society, William Bridges. Harper & Row, 1974. 518 pages, hc. A history of the Bronx Zoo and the people who founded it.
    -Wild Lives: A History of People & Animals of the Bronx Zoo, Kathleen Zoehfeld. Knopf Books for Young Children, 2006. 96 pages, hc. "Wild Lives takes readers through a century of zookeeping at one of the most-beloved zoos in the world, and shares what zoologists have learned over the years about keeping wild animals."

New York City Zoological Society: Central Park Zoo
    -Central Park Zoo (NY) (Images of America), Joan Scheier. Arcadia, 2002. 128 pages, pb. A history of the zoo and its predecessors.

Oklahoma City Zoo
    -Oklahoma City Zoo 1902-1959 (Images of America), Amy Dee Stephens. Arcadia, 2006. 128 pages, pb. A history of the zoo's first 57 years.
    -Oklahoma City Zoo 1960-2013 (Images of America), Amy Dee Stephens. Arcadia, 2014. 128 pages, pb. The second half of the zoo's history.

Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo
    -Doc: Zoo Memories and Animal Stories, Lee G. Simmons. Legacy Preservation, 2018. 371 pages, hc. "Doc takes readers through an exciting, decades-long journey of animal care across 51 countries and Antarctica. Sharing stories in an easy-to-read manner... In addition to zoo and animal stories, Doc includes Simmons’ thoughts on zoo and aquarium design, a listing of Omaha zoo exhibits and expansions that he partook in, and his curriculum vitae, which lists his published academic papers."
    -Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium, Eileen Wirth. Landmarks, 2017. 160 pages, pb. A history of the zoo, as well as its conservation programs.

Oregon Zoo
    -Elephant House, Dick Blau. Penn State University Press, 2015. 108 pages, hc. "...a thought-provoking study of the Oregon Zoo’s Asian Elephant Building and the daily routines of its residents..."

Phoenix Zoo
    -Phoenix Zoo (Images of America), Debbie Veldhuis. Arcadia, 2018. 128 pages, pb. A history of the zoo.

Reptileland
    -Reptileland: How a Boyhood Dream Became a Modern Zoo, Clyde Peeling. Peeling Productions, 2014. 148 pages, pb. "This book chronicles the ambitious journey behind establishing one of the country's leading specialized zoos. … The book also records philosophical changes in the function and purposes of zoos over the last half-century. "

Riverbanks Zoo
    -Riverbanks Zoo & Garden: Forty Wild Years, Palmer Krantz. University of South Carolina Press, 2014. 224 pages, pb. "Much like the zoo itself, this book features extraordinary animals, dynamic natural habitats, and significant historic landmarks. Riverbanks's rich history is captured here through anecdotal stories and nearly two hundred brilliant photographs and illustrations, making it easy to see why Riverbanks is recognized as one of the nation's great zoological parks and botanical gardens."

Saint Louis Zoo
    -Animals Always: 100 Years at the Saint Louis Zoo, Mary Delach Leonard. University of Missouri Press, 2009. 208 pages, hc. "Overflowing with stories, photographs, and fascinating sidebars, this captivating volume covers the Zoo’s rich history and its emergence as a modern-day center of research and conservation."

San Diego Zoo
    -Mister Zoo: The Life & Legacy of Dr. Charles Schroeder, Douglas Myers. Zoological Society of San Diego, 2015. 400 pages, hc. "Beginning with some of Charles Schroeder's boyhood experiences, the book chronicles his veterinary studies, his work as a San Diego Zoo veterinarian, and his Zoo directorship through stories, anecdotes, and reminiscences from those who know him best. A great opportunity to learn some of the early history of the World-Famous San Diego Zoo and San Diego Wild Animal Park, and to get to know a Zoo legend.”
    -The San Diego Zoo: The First Century (2 book box set), Lynda Stephenson. Zoological Society of San Diego, 2015. 400 pages, hc. Book 1: The Founding Era 1916-1953. Book 2: The Modern Era 1954-2016. " Illustrated with 500+ timeless photos, the history preserved in The San Diego Zoo: The First Century the whimsical, the colorful, the audacious, the heart-tugging, the groundbreaking, and the visionary is destined to be treasured by Zoo lovers for generations to come. Two coffee-table size volumes with dust jackets in slipcase..."

San Francisco Zoo
    -San Francisco Zoo (Images of America), Katherine Girlich. Arcadia, 2009. 128 pages, pb. "This book celebrates the San Francisco Zoo's 80-year history as it revisits cherished animals and structures like Monkey Island, Storyland, and Dentzel Carousel.”
    -San Francisco Zoo (Postcards of America), Katherine Girlich. Arcadia, 2009. 15 pages, cardstock. 15 postcards of images from the zoo's past.

Smithsonian National Zoo
    -Raising America’s Zoo: How 2 Gorillas Helped Transform the National Zoo, Kara Arundel. Mascot Books, 2017. 224 pages, hc. "...shares the heartbreak and triumphs of these first-generation zoo gorillas and their caregivers who worked tirelessly to make their lives better. Witness the personal story of Nick Arundel, a man who at first celebrated their capture, then grew to regret his tale of hunting gorillas... Experience the National Zoo's voyage of contentious responsibility, limited capacity, joyful discoveries, and urgent deadlines to preserve western lowland gorillas."

Turtle Back Zoo
    -Turtle Back Zoo (Images of America), Brint Spencer. Arcadia, 2014. 128 pages, pb. A history of the zoo, from its founding as a seasonal children's zoo through its renovation and transition into a first-rate, modern zoo.

Woodland Park Zoo
    -Woodland: The Story of the Animals and People of Woodland Park Zoo, John Bierlein. History Ink, 2017. 200 pages, pb. "A history and exploration of the challenges, innovations, lore and controversies surrounding Seattle's zoo… full of photography."

ZooNebraska
    -Zoo Nebraska: The Dismantling of an American Dream, Carson Vaughan. Little A Publishing, March 2019. Hc. The story of Zoo Nebraska, a 7-acre zoo in a tiny town that started as a primate center and eventually closed. "A resonant true story of small-town politics and community perseverance and of decent people and questionable choices."

ZooTampa at Lowry Park
    -Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives, Thomas French. Hachette Books, 2005. 304 pages, hc/pb. " Based on six years of research, the book follows a handful of unforgettable characters at Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo…"

2. TinoPup

UK & Ireland zoos

Bristol Zoo
    -The Wild Within: Histories of a Landmark British Zoo, Andrew Flack. University of Virginia Press, 2018. 272 pages, hc. "an innovatively thematic account of the history of one of Britain's most durable zoos. Engagingly written, full of fascinating detail, and informed by political insight, it chronicles the evolving relations among the zoo's inhabitants, its staff, its visitors, and the cultural contexts that they shared."

Chester Zoo
    -Our Zoo, June Mottershead. Headline, 2015. 288 pages, hc. A history and memoir of Chester Zoo, as told by the daughter of the founder, with a focus on her childhood.

Colchester Zoo
    -The Story of Colchester Zoo, S.C. Kershaw. The History Press, 2013. 304 pages, pb. "This is a tale of struggle and heartbreak, but also of transformation and redemption, and is a fitting tribute to a great animal institution as it reaches its 50th anniversary."

Dartmoor Zoo
    -We Bought a Zoo, Benjamin Mee. Harper Collins, 2008. 320 pages, hc/pb. The story of Mee's family moving to Dartmoor and purchasing a a wildlife park, reopening it the following year.

Dublin Zoo
    -Dublin Zoo: An Illustrated History, Catherine de Courcy. Collins, 2010. 368 pages, pb. Stories of animals and visitors, from 1831 to the modern era.

London Zoo
    -The Zoo: The Story of London Zoo, Barrington-Johnson. Robert Hale, 2005. 192 pages, pb. "a unique, fascinating, and often amusing history of London Zoo, illustrated with over 70 images."
    -The Zoo: The Wild and Wonderful Tale of the Founding of London Zoo: 1826-1851, Isobel Charman. Pegasus Books, 2018. 368 pages, hc/pb. " the story of the first zoo in history, a weird and wonderful oasis in the heart of the filthy, swirling city of Dickensian London, and of the incredible characters, both human and animal, that populated it."
    -London Zoo from Old Photographs 1852-1914, John Edwards. John Edwards?, 2012. 312 pages, hc.
    -Zoo Tails, Oliver Graham Jones. Transworld, 2016. 208 pages, pb. Stories from the chief vet at the London Zoo, who began in 1951.

Marwell Zoo
    -My Marwellous Life in Zoos and Conservation, John Knowles. Book Guild Ltd, 2009. 193 pages, hc. Autobiography of Marwell's founder.

3. TinoPup

World zoos

Baghdad Zoo
    -Babylon’s Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo, Lawrence Anthony. St. Martin’s Griffin, 2008. 256 pages, hc/pb. "A tale of the selfless courage and humanity of a few men and women living dangerously for all the right reasons, Babylon's Ark is an inspiring and uplifting true-life adventure of individuals on both sides working together for the sake of magnificent wildlife caught in a war zone."-Saving the Baghdad Zoo: A True Story of Hope and Heroes, Kelly Milner Halls. Greenwillow Books, 2010. 64 pages, hc/pb. "Bolstered with large, beautiful color photos and informative sidebars, this dramatic picture-book-size photo-essay tells of the U.S. army rescue of zoo animals in the Iraqi war zone."

Berlin Zoo
    -Through the Lion Gate: A History of the Berlin Zoo, Gary Bruce. Oxford University Press, 2017. 320 pages, hc. "the intersection of zoology, politics, and leisure… from its founding in 1844 until the 1990 unification of the West Berlin and East Berlin zoos."
    -War Zone Zoo: The Berlin Zoo and World War 2, Kevin Prenger. Independently published, 2018. 114 pages, pb. "a story of how violence and dictatorship made the Berlin Zoo lose its innocence, but it is also a story about love for animals, human powers of survival and the rebirth of the historic and public icon the Berlin Zoo still is today."

Parc Zoo de Paris
    -Architecture Zoo: Parc Zoologique de Paris, Veronique Tschumi. Somogy Editions d'Art, 2014. 160 pages, hc. "… 3D pictures, scale models, blueprints and drawings allow one to understand how the architectural project was conceived, in which the animal dwellings became, in the course of an intellectually inventive journey, that of humans."

Palestine
    -The Zoo on the Road to Nablus: A Story of Survival from the West Bank, Amelia Thomas. PublicAffairs, 2008. 304 pages, hc. "This engaging and deftly told book shines a light on a lesser-known victim of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict: Palestine's last zoo, located in battle-ravaged Qalqilya, surrounded by Israel. British journalist Thomas recounts a year and a half in the life of the zoo, following zoo veterinarian Dr. Sami Khader's dogged—often futile—attempts to transform a neglected menagerie into an institution of international caliber."

Tokyo Zoo
    -The Nature of the Beasts: Empire and Exhibition at the Tokyo Imperial Zoo, Ian Jared Miller. University of California Press, 2013. 352 pages, hc. "this study of the Ueno Zoo shows how the human world has been constituted in large part by its engagements with nature and animals―and, conversely, how the zoo reflects larger questions of modernity, desire, violence, and history."

4. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I can recommend Rhinos on the Lawn, the book about Cotswold Wildlife Park in the UK.

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for providing such great lists and I'm such a zoo nerd that I already own almost all of the books!

- I have 5 out of the 6 books in your 'world zoos' category, only missing the publication about the architecture of the Paris Zoo. It is $46 Canadian and only a 160-page book....I'll skip it.

- I have 9 out of the 10 books in your 'UK & Ireland' zoos category, only missing the new Bristol Zoo book...which I've heard is very academic and rather dull and boring.

- I have 36 out of the 38 books in the USA zoo book list, only missing Elephant House (about Oregon Zoo) as it is very expensive, only around 100 pages and it received a poor review in Zoo Grapevine magazine several years ago. I'm also missing the book about the DeYoung Family Zoo although I'm tempted to order it from Amazon right now! :)

Overall, I have 50 out of the 54 books on your list and I might just order that DeYoung one...

Here is a thread of mine that is almost two years old, but it does specifically list around 90 zoo history books that I own and it might help @TinoPup with their choices:

Zoo History Books

vogelcommando and JVM like this.
  6. TinoPup

That one never showed up on my searches, thanks for mentioning it! I went to Cotswold a lot when I was little so that one has definite interest to me :)

I figured someone around here would be a collector, not surprised it's you ;) I somehow missed that thread of yours, I'll have to go through and see which ones are still remotely available. I know there's a lot put out by zoos themselves that never make it past their gift shops, I've tried looking for them on different sites but it's impossible to do a search for zoo-related books without also getting the tens of thousands of children's books.

I'll be doing another thread on general zoo books, maybe tonight or tomorrow. I need to convert my spreadsheet to this format. I have a lot more books from that list.

snowleopard likes this.
  7. TinoPup

If you can read German, Schüling Buchkurier's website has hundreds of books, primarily about individual zoos. Almost all are in German, though, plus a few in Dutch and Polish. There's a few in English, but those are already mentioned here.
    Schüling Buchkurier - online shop

snowleopard likes this.
  8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A couple from my state...

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (Images of America), Peggy Pickering Larson & William Ascarza. Arcadia 2010. 127 pages.
    Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum: A Scrapbook, Peggy Pickering Larson. 2002 Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. 105 pages.

Heritage Park Zoo
    The Raven Wore Boots, Claire Waite. Loose Moose 2018. 132 pages.

snowleopard and TinoPup like this.
  9. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Anyone know of any books about Oakland?

10. Karie K

Karie K Member

Toledo Zoo
    The Toledo Zoo's First 100 Years: A Century of Adventure by Ted Ligibel
    Written by Ted J. Ligibel, this full color book features beautiful photos and exploits through the years of development at the Toledo Zoo, heralded as "America's most complete zoo." From the first animal—a woodchuck—to the "near international incident" between Toledo and London over "Slippery Sam", the escaped seal named Cyril, to the building of the amphitheater, aviary, reptile house, and aquarium to the zoo's near closure in 1980 to its rebound, the Lights Before Christmas, the arrival of the pandas and more, this book chronologically covers the glorious history of Toledo finest fauna field housing.

11. TinoPup

snowleopard likes this.
  12. Macaulay

Macaulay Active Member

I can recomend nine lives by david gill about south lakes wild animal park now known as Safari zoo

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

An excellent work of fiction :p

14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wondering that there are still no Dutch zoos on the list but evenso, there are several of them. That said... most of them are published only in Dutch :( .
    Some which I have in my llibrary :
    Apenliefde - kroniek van een apenpark. Book about the history of Apenheul
    Iets grootsch & buitengewoons - great book publish at the 150 anniversary of Rotterdam Zoo
    Burgers Zoo 1913 - 2013 - een familiebedrijf met passie voor dieren - about the history of Burgers Zoo

And for all english speaking people I have another one :
    - The Stationary Ark by Gerald Durrell about the Jersey Zoo ( Durrell Zoo )

snowleopard likes this.
  15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another one which I own myself ( in English ) :

- Penguin Millionaire - The story of Birdland
    by Len Hill ao about the history of Birdland - Bourton on the Water