Join our zoo community

List of Predator/Prey Exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Moebelle, 29 Oct 2012.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The flamingos are in their own area near the elephants, not with the hippos (Zoo Tycoon 2 much?) Also, while the lion and cheetah exhibits on Kilimanjaro Safaris is a predator-prey setup, the crocs are enough separated from everything else that there is no visual connection. The tigers on the Maharajah Jungle Trek also have a predator-prey setup with the banteng, Eld's deer, and blackbuck.

2. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

akron zoo has snow leopards next to himalayan Tahrs.

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

And Werribee's lions look out onto the large drivethrough exhibit which has kudu, eland, waterbuck, zebra, giraffe, rhino and ostrich.

:p

Hix

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good I've never seen it but that Cat Complex looks horrible. What was the predator/prey exhibit (Lions/Nyalas? When was it opened).

They should reopen World of Darkness I was too young when it closed to remember it

5. ThylacineAlive

I was like 10 the last time I went to DAK I don't remember much ok:)

6. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Birmingham has a mostly invisible wire mesh fence between the Lions and the Old Giraffe exhibit (now it contains Ostrich/Grant's Zebra). The Grant's gazelle have lived with the Giraffe their whole life and have moved with them.

7. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Strictly speaking maned wolves are predators, but they do eat large quantities of vegetable matter and the animal prey they take is generally rather small, up to the size of young deer and hares (typical prey items are even smaller). Well below adult giant anteaters size. Consequently maned wolves have sometimes been mixed with various other animals in zoos, including giant anteaters:

Giant Anteater and Maned Wolf at Audubon Zoo - YouTube

Same combination has been done elsewhere. However, I wouldn't feel too confident about it if either was breeding = more aggression from parents + young giant anteaters could potentially be preyed upon by maned wolf. Another example is maned wolf and capybara:

Capybara and Maned Wolf at Wildlife Safari (Oregon) - flickr

8. ThylacineAlive

Wow I would not have expected for some zoos to actually group the animals together

9. drgmcooke

drgmcooke New Member

Hi guys,

If done intentionally are there any research papers invesitgating the responses by either prey or predartors?

10. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've always wondered if these setups stress the prey animals. In Disney's Animal Kingdom the animals seemed oblivious to the lions, I'm not sure if that is the norm or not though.

11. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've been looking for some time and haven't found any. Not only is there unexplored potential for frustration in predators and stress in prey, but even prey that don't display symptoms of stress may experience a reduction in effective enclosure size. This could make otherwise adequate exhibits too small.

If you do find anything, please let me know :)

Last edited: 19 Apr 2017
  12. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Metro Richmond zoo has klipspringer with king vulture

13. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Many places keep small crocodilians and turtles together, even though in the wild I've seen videos of alligators happily crushing turtle shells as if they were enjoying a nice, crunchy snack :confused:

14. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Odd geographic mix aside, King vultures are scavengers and likely wouldn't prey on klipspringers.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Bronx also has a Snow Leopard-Tragopan predator prey exhibit. So, to summarize for the Bronx, it has these exhibits where the visitor can see predator and prey at the same time:
    1. Lions-Nyala, the first predator prey exhibit in the U.S.: https://newsroom.wcs.org/News-Relea...-Iconic-African-Plains-Exhibit-Turns-75.aspx; also, from the front of the Nyala yard you can see the Thompson's gazelles on the other side of the lions.
    2. Rothschild's Giraffes and Ostriches-African Hunting Dogs (can see the giraffes and ostriches from the dogs, but not the other way around).
    3. Black Leopard-Silvered Leaf Monkeys. Malayan Tapirs and Gibbons are visible on the other side of the walk from the leopards.
    4. Gharial-Fish (in the same pool, although I don't know whether they are actual prey species for the gharials, which are presumably fed to the point they won't hunt)
    4. Snow Leopards-Tragopan.
    In addition to seeing leopards across from tapirs and gibbons in Wild Asia, in Madagascar you can see Fossa across from lemurs. And I simply can't remember whether you can see the gaur through the back fence of the tiger exhibit in Wild Asia (on the monorail tour).

16. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There is this research paper (I only have access to the abstract) that studied the reactions of five African herbivores kept in proximity to lions in a zoo exhibit. The results showed that the herbivores did modify their behaviour when the lions were in view (they were more vigilant) but these modifications seem to have no deleterious effects on them.

An ethometric analysis in a zoological garden: Modification of ungulate behavior by the visual presence of a predator

Giant Panda likes this.
  17. ThylacineAlive

I've seen the wild dogs from the giraffe/Ostrich viewing. They're only visible if the dogs come up to the fence, though.

~Thylo

18. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've made predator/prey exhibits in Zoo Tycoon 2.

19. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Now Polar Bear-Harbor Seal.
    No longer contains ostrich.
    Both of these no longer exist.
    Milwaukee's Asian Black Bear has died, now contains an American Black Bear.

20. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Nice concepts, especially the polar bear and pinniped idea! The closest I have seen to this type of exhibit as far as I can remember was a spectacled bear pacing backwards and forwards along the conjoin of the South American tapir enclosure at Chester Zoo licking his lips!