Join our zoo community

List of Zoochat Members Wanting to Found a Zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Zoofan15, 28 Jun 2017.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have created this thread with the intention of providing a place for like minded people to discuss their goal of starting up a zoo, ask questions, receive advice and possibly provide opportunities for people with similar objectives to collobarate and make their shared dream a reality.

It will also assist with marshalling the large number of threads dedicated to those wanting to found their own zoo into a single thread. ZooChat, thank me later.

To start with, please answer the following 5 questions as briefly as possible if you are wanting to found your own zoo:

1. Intended Location of zoo: (eg. London, England; Arizona, USA etc.)

2. Species Intended to be held: (eg. New Zealand native animals and farmyard animals; World class zoo with megafauna; reptiles of Southeast Asia etc.)

3. Time frame for building/opening: (eg. Less than 2 years; 5 years; 10 years; 10 years+)

4. Open to collaboration with others: (eg. Yes or No)

5. Biggest restraint if not opening in the next 2 years: (eg. Finances; Lack of willpower etc.)

Please note, this has been placed in the Zoo Discussion forum, not the Fantasy Zoo forum so this is for people with aspirations to open a real zoo in the future (even if it’s in 10 years plus) so no posts with location listed as: your computer, no species intended to be held as: whatever is available on your Zoo Tycoon 2 expansion pack, no time frame for building as: when you get home from school, no collaboration with others as: whatever friends you are or aren’t speaking to today and no biggest restraint as: the amount of space on your hardrive. Serious and tangible zoological ambitions only people.

steveroberts and Jambo like this.
  2. grandelover1

grandelover1 Well-Known Member

Location- Somewhere in Midwest

Species- Whatever is possible, and what I feel like would fit at the time

Time Frame- 10 yrs

Open to Collabing- Yes

Restraint- wanting to save money and to make sure everything fits well before I start

steveroberts and Zoofan15 like this.
  3. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Species:world class zoo with high animal variety
    Time: 10+years
    I don't know for collaboration
    Restraints would be finances

4. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Species: World class, specifically focusing on African Wildife but anything is fine.
    Time:10-20 years
    Collab is fine
    Finance is the main challenge.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2017
    Zoofan15 likes this.
  5. TheEthiopianWolf03

I actually made two threads on my zoo so if you want, you can check it out. I feel this is much better though.
    Thanks for making this thread Zoofan15.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  6. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Got to love the good ol' country of Arizona :D. But in all seriousness though...

Species: Start small but grow into word class facility.

Time: 15-20 years

Collab: ...YES!!! PLEASE!!!!

Main Challenge:

7. Zoofan15

Thanks @TheEthiopianWolf03, I've enjoyed reading one of your threads (I was the one who insisted you acquire mandrills instead of drills) so far and will check out your second thread.

steveroberts likes this.
  8. TheEthiopianWolf03

Can we start asking for advice?

steveroberts likes this.
  9. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can see that my thread was inspiring...^^

It's funny how very similar your projects are. Aren't there enough zoos in the Midwest already? And isn't the North Carolina Zoo close to Charlotte, NC?

Brum likes this.
  10. TheEthiopianWolf03

Well in that case, where do you suggest to build a zoo? I chose the Midwest because of it's access to exotic animals. Compared to states like California who don't let people have exotic animals. This means it's harder to build a zoo in California than it is in the Midwest. I'm sure you know this already though.

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jul 2017
  11. natel12

North Carolina zoo is over 80 miles away from charlotte and the shortest drive would be at lest an hour and a half

12. Batto

@natel12: so would there be a serious demand for a zoo in Charlotte? After all, you've got a SeaLife Centre, a farm and a bird of prey show there, haven't you?

@TEW03: that depends on many a things, such as your concept, your finances, the available building areas, the local authorities, the aforementioned local legislature...If there is no zoo around, you should ask yourself WHY there isn't any zoo around. If there are zoos around, you should ask yourself how you can compete (or at least coexist) successfully with them.

13. cuckooduck

cuckooduck Active Member

Im hoping to open a conservation breeding centre, devoted to the breeding and releasing of threathened birds and small mammals. The centre will have a large off display breeding facility and an attached park with large exhibit, used to educate and display the species bred at the centre.

1. Intended Location of zoo:
    south west of England- Devon or somerset

2. Species Intended to be held: Mainly an avian facility, concentrating on aviculturally rare and globally threathened, anseriformes, galiformes, wading birds, birds of paradise, trogons, fish eating birds( pelicans, grebes, penguins). Mammals would include, captivily rare individuals and threathened small species. Small felines, small primates( marmosets and tamarins mostly), marsupials(with a concentration on macrapods) and small rainforest antelopes (duikers).

3. Time frame for building/opening: I will hopefully have started construction within the next 15 years, and a further 5 years closed to the public to sort out any issues

4. Open to collaboration with others: Yes. Im a bird guy so would need to find some more mammally focused individuals to help.

5. Biggest restraint if not opening in the next 2 years: Finances and lack of a suitable site.

Van Beal likes this.
  14. TheEthiopianWolf03

Here is my predicament:
    I have made a thread talking about what animals to start of with a zoo. I am asking the same question on this thread because I want a second opinion.

I also have to rethink my whole zoo's collection. So my zoo is now a clean slate. I have no animals planned right now for my zoo. I am willing to hear any ideas or take any suggestions. Thanks!

15. Batto

Assembling a zoo species wishlist is fun, easy - and pretty much pointless, at least at this stage. As for advice - take a look at the thread that inspired this one.

16. natel12

What thread is that?

17. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

1. Intended Location of zoo: R. Macedonia - probably in future it will be Upper Macedonia or Vardar Macedonia or Northern Macedonia, or Greece

2. Species Intended to be held: almost anyone that can be easily get from another zoo, or is cheap to by from a company for wild animals

3. Time frame for building/opening: 5-ten years

4. Open to collaboration with others: Yes with everyone and every institution

5. Biggest restraint if not opening in the next 2 years: Of course, money. With money, you can hire experienced zookeeper/vet, and even you can hire a brave entrepreneur that will do the project, if you don't have a courrage to start while you are younger.

Van Beal and Zoofan15 like this.
  18. Batto

The aptly named "How to found a zoo". By yours truly.

19. Zoofan15

Yes, yes you can. Others, feel free to fill out the five questions that this thread started with the details of your planned zoo.

20. TheEthiopianWolf03

I need help deciding what animals to start of with. They need to be animals that I can get without AZA accreditation. Here are the regions/exhibits:
    Africa
    South America
    Australia
    Reptile house
    2 walk through aviaries (Africa and Australia)
    A few stand alone aviaries

Van Beal likes this.