Join our zoo community

List of Zoochat Members Wanting to Found a Zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Zoofan15, 28 Jun 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

If you outline your plans on an internet forum then why would you not expect any opinions in response? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: 31 Dec 2018
  2. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

"All the best and everything but somewhere out there there's a real world, and I worry slightly what happens to you when you encounter it..."

In all due respect, that is not someone's opinion, it is a sweeping condescending statement. It makes an accusation firstly unjust, secondly unfounded and thirdly insulating and unneeded.

If someone wishes to knock my plans that is one thing, but to make an opinion on someone they do not know or know anything about is very different in my book.

I replied in full to your genuine questions, which I gave my logical reasoning for.

Someone else decided to take a swipe for no reason and which was personal, not aimed at a post.

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the incredibly discourteous reply.

My point wasn't intended to be condescending as such - it was simply that you've clearly been very lucky or very successful or both, but you need to bear in mind that this is not everyone's experience. The vast majority of people in Britain, including your hypothetical future zoo staff and visitors, will never be in a position to retire by 50/55 - over a decade before the current state pension age. Throwing around phrases like that does make you seem out of touch, I'm afraid - as does the suggestion that you're visiting 'every zoo in the world'. If you're really in a position to do this then power to you.

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

My statement was 'aimed' at the post where you stated that 50-55 was a 'normal retirement age', and I pointed out that that was not a realistic situation. That was all. It is certainly relevant to your plans if you think that, as I would suggest it would make you an uncomfortable employer to have if you don't understand the basic realities of your employees' lives.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You could have another thread 'list of people NOT wishing to found a Zoo'. Despite a lifelong interest I'd be the first to sign up...

6. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As already pointed out by Maguari, that's a rather ambitious plan (just ask @alexkant ), and might not even be that productive or beneficial for your future operation.
    According to you, money isn't an issue. May I ask in what profession you work or what the source of your funding would be?
    Do you have any long-term experience in professional (wild) animal husbandry and business management?

7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And me, owning a zoo does not seem like it would be a lot of fun, at least until it's up and running successfully. You've got to sink a lot of cash in to a venture that may fail and cost you your savings/house/family... Fair play to anyone who does it (looking at you @Batto ) but it's not for me.

8. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Amongst many points I could make, I do wonder if doing loads of VIP stuff is really that useful towards setting up a zoo?* Whilst I'm sure you'll pick up some titbits of useful information I suspect there's better ways of getting more intensive/comprehensive information and guidance. Have you considered taking an animal/zoo management course?

* For instance, I can't imagine doing a VIP experience at Lakeland Wildlife Oasis will give you much that's transferable to building Britain's Pairi Daizi (which seems to be what you're aiming for).

pipaluk, CGSwans and jayjds2 like this.
  9. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Zooreviewsuk unless you're a celebrity with a multi-billion pound(?) business, than you really can't have 5 full size parks fully operating and opening at the same time, you'd be in a lot of debt...

ThylacineAlive, Jambo and Shorts like this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I've fixed your above post, which seemed to have somehow entirely turned into a link to Chlidonias' profile :p

Shorts, Jambo and ZooBinh like this.
  11. Zooreviewsuk

I appreciate your concern, but I have seen Zoo's be set up on 500K, or £1m. I've seen collections of quality take a few million.
    No I'm no celebrity and no I am not a billionaire. But I have enough stashed by to make it a reality over time.
    If I blow everything I have and end up homeless chasing a dream so be it, because it's a good dream to have, and something which will make me happy doing it, it will make me even happier proving people wrong.
    I experienced debt once, and it was a lot more enjoyable than having wealth I can tell you that, being wealthy doesn't make you happy, it actually eats at you, makes you insecure, lonely, depressive and I have found being around animals, learning and that fascination is the best feeling in the world. If I spunk off everything I have chasing it, then so be it.

Jambo likes this.
  12. Zooreviewsuk

I do intend to take a conservation and zoology degree down the line. The VIP is stuff isn't just the learning. I've met hundreds of keepers, many when I visit a zoo now stop and chat to you, and your on first name terms, It's opened doors to meet some fascinating people, who are keen to pass on your knowledge. At one Zoo, I was told by a head keeper, that he wished zookeepers at his zoo went to other zoos and spoke to other keepers and tried to see how other places do stuff, as it's great learning and he thought what I was doing was fantastic as it's a great way to learn. It also gives you an opportunity to animals up close, their personalities, and how they use their exhibits and whether the exhibits are actually ideal.
    I invite you to come with me one day on one of the trips I do, believe me they are great. It's not all about giving a bit of carrot to a Lemur.
    I absolutely love doing what I do. 5 days a week I'm visiting zoo's, 3 days on experiences. I've learned a lot in the last 2 years and learning so much more. I've found over time my interests in certain animals that in years gone by would blow my mind, are now nothing to some amazing animals that 2 years ago I didn't know existed.
    It's not just about doing the fun stuff as well, I love mucking in with the keepers, cleaning stuff, learning about diets and enrichment and animal welfare and everything.
    Keepers are often amazed when you don't just wanna feed and stroke an animal, but your intrigued with the animal and have a million questions, it's great for them, as it makes there day seem more worthwhile and enjoyable and have a sense of purpose.

So no, it's not gonna teach me everything I need to know along the way, but it's a good starting point, and it gets you to meet and know a lot of very useful people to know.

I have been fortunate to sit down for hours chatting with a couple of directors, and they both said the same, don't buy a zoo! But for me, I could think of nothing better than walking out into an Aviary full of exotic birds, or watching fishing cats hunting in a stream, or being able to give animals space to act naturally and be themselves.

13. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I think the best mentality for building a zoo is just focus on getting the education money, experience first before diving into the idea of building a zoo. I think this thread should be more focused towards people who aren’t just interested, but well prepared. I’m sure everyone on this site loves visiting zoos but that doesn’t mean you should own one. There are so many factors to consider that could go wrong even if you have everything in check. I think @Batto and the other zoochatters really gave me the proper insight to zoo building and how difficult it really is and how a love for animals isn’t going to cut it. Of course I’ve said this before and it’s probably not worth repeating since others have said it as well but owning a zoo might not be what you are looking for. Maybe you want to care for animals and that’s why you want to build a zoo or maybe you want to be involved in conservation effforts around the world. There are other jobs that give that sort of enjoyment. Of course you shouldn’t let the opinions of the internet judge what you want to do in life but maybe take it into consideration? This is really not directed at one single person but overall to everyone on this thread who has a interest in building a zoo including myself.

(Before anyone calls me a hypocrite for asking about zoo building in Africa, I ask that because it seems that everyone wants to build zoos in places that already have well established zoos nearby and not places that are almost devoid of zoological facilities (Such as most parts of Africa).)

Jambo, BigNate and ZooBinh like this.
  14. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For most African kids in urban areas, they are LESS likely to have seen a lion or an elephant or hippo (in person) than an American kid. Thus in many ways quality zoos are needed in the third world. Question is how do you get them, and even more important, support them.

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Well, I am everywhere.

animal_expert01, TNT, CGSwans and 5 others like this.
  16. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Sounds as if you have everything worked out. Wish you great success, and hope you let us all know as your plans progress. All the very best of luck.

pipaluk, ZooBinh, Jambo and 1 other person like this.
  17. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This sounds fun, so I might as well chime in too ;)

1. Intended Location of zoo: Alberta, Canada. Ideally somewhere close to Edmonton to ensure a steady guest base.

2. Species Intended to be held: Birds. Lots of birds. Emphasis will be placed on certain species groups (e.g turacos, cranes), as well as species struggling in the dreaded red SSP category. Other, non-avians, such as macropods and elasmobranchs will feature as well.

3. Time frame for building/opening: 2-4 years if all goes well.

4. Open to collaboration with others: Eh, with the right individual(s) yes, but realistically no.

5. Biggest restraint if not opening in the next 2 years: I have one last "bucket list" species group I want to work with before I bear down and dedicate myself to my own facility. That list would be:

Penguins
    Hornbills
    Elephants
    Cetaceans

I've worked with the first three, just need to tick off that last one now, and I worry that if I don't try and finish this list before I bear down towards my own facility, the regret of "never knowing" will eat at me for the rest of my life. Fingers crossed I'll be able to check off cetaceans this year, which will of course hasten the timeline to open (or maybe not, depending on how much I enjoy the position ;) )

The other "restraint", I suppose, would be if I can manage to land a good position at one particular facility (that happens to have a variety of species I enjoy working with, pays incredibly well and offers decidedly good benefits), that could potentially drag out the timeline to open into the 5-10 year category, since I'm not completely daft, I'll take (and keep) a good thing if I can get it, after all!

Jambo, BigNate, ZooBinh and 1 other person like this.
  18. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Serious question here, how would that happen. I remember seeing that one other place on the forum.

pipaluk likes this.
  19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Haven't the foggiest!

birdsandbats likes this.
  20. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd like to but I don't know how realistic it could be given all the CITES, costs and logistics in transfer shipping etc..... If it won't happen I have another plan: to have my own private backyard zoo on 10-20 acres.