Join our zoo community

List of zoos and aquariums at South korea today

Discussion in 'South Korea' started by dt644, 23 Dec 2019.

1. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

As I look at it, there seems to be a lack of information about Korean zoos and aquariums in Zoo chat, so I will make the list of zoos and aquariums at Korea simply.

First of all, there is an association of zoos called "KAZA"(Korean Association of Zoos and Aquarium) in Korea. The association is home to most of the famous zoos and aquariums in Korea, including the famous Seoul Zoo and EVERLAND Zootopia.

And I'm not sure if I have this in foreign countries, but since the 2010s in Korea, there have been opened several private zoos called "indoor zoos" and "raccoon cafes." These private zoos do not provide a proper environment for animals, and most of them are petting Zoo, which simply allows visitors to touch and feed them. Although me, and many animal lovers in Korea as well very hate these places but I will write about them for organizing information.

Finally, Korea has a registration system for zoos and aquariums that went into effect in 30 may 2017. Under the law, places displaying more than 50 animals of 10 species should be registered as zoos, but some places are not legally classified as zoos by using methods to display only fewer animals to avoid registering as zoos. However, I will try to write about all the animals exhibition facilities, commonly called "zoos" in Korea.

To write the list will be mainly used KAZA's member list at KAZA website and records of the Korea Zoo's investigation released in 2018 by the Korean animal rights group, The Aware. First, I will write the zoo and aquariums registered with KAZA.

2. drill

drill Well-Known Member

how bad is this list? Jižní Korea • South Korea

3. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Well, this list is nice. In that list, even I am a Korean and living in Korea, there are places I have never seen before. but I think...some places and some zoo's information are omission in that list.

After looking at this list, I feel like I may not have to do this...but since I said "I will," so I will continue.

4. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

In the KAZA, There are three groups divided by region. The list is shown below.
    • Head office Group(It is mainly a gathering of zoos and aquarium in Gyeonggi Province.)
    • Chungcheong Province, Jeolla Province and Jeju Island group
    • Gyeongsang Province Group
    From now on, I'll sort it simply out in that order.

Zoos and aquariums at KAZA Head office Group

Seoul zoo(Seoul Grand Park Zoo): Public zoo, The chairman of KAZA, Conservation Institution for Conservation of Endangered Species.
    -note: The alpha of a Korean zoo. has longest history and largest area, greatest variety of animals at all of zoos in korea.

EVERLAND Zootopia: Private zoo, The vice chairman of KAZA, Conservation Institution for Conservation of Endangered Species.
    -note: It is one of two zoos in Korea where there is a safari attraction that uses a bus. and the only one zoo in South Korea where the Giant panda has. Korean zoo manias call It "Lion, Tiger and Giraffe factory". Like this nickname, here is notorious for its incestuous breeding of animals. Lastly, it is the richest zoo in Korea. Because Samsung Group runs it.

Seoul Children's Grand Park: Public zoo.
    -note: Many Koreans are also often confused because similar names, but it is different place from Seoul Grand Park Zoo. It also holds animal shows under contract with animal performance company named "Anistory". there are many criticism about it, the Seoul Metropolitan Government, the operator here, said it cannot terminate the contract in the middle of the deal because it signed a 20-year long-term contract with Anistory. This contract ends in 2021.

Lotte world aquarium: Private aquarium. The vice chairman of KAZA.
    -note: An aquarium in the basement of Lotte World Tower, the tallest building in Korea.
    This place promoted their three Beluga the most. but it was criticized for its poor environment, would give up beluga breeding after two males died on April 2, 2016, and Oct. 17, 2019, respectively.

COEX aquarium: Private aquarium.
    -note: An aquarium famous in many ways, It is one of South Korea's two aquariums has manatee, and has even been on display for a bit time Octopus minor named "Samuel," which Conan O'Brien bought in the Korean fisheries market and donated here at 2016.
    Hanwha Hotels & Resorts Co., Ltd.: Private aquariums.
    -note: Hanwha Group's resort business, It has four aquariums under the name "Aqua Planet".

Aqua Planet 63
    -note: It is located in 63 Building, a famous skyscraper in Korea. Hanwha Group was acquired the old aquarium was there and remodeled, So it is relatively smaller then another Aqua planets.

Aqua Planet Yeosu
    -note: It was opened in time for the 2012 Yeosu World Expo. Beluga is the mascot.

Aqua Planet Jeju
    -note: The largest aquarium in Korea, mascot is whale shark. they displayed two whale sharks captured in the waters off Jeju Island as here, but none after releasing them due to opposition from animal rights groups.

Aqua Planet ilsan
    -note: Mascot is walrus. They are promoted the display of land animals and water creatures. and they was displayed three jaguars(Father, Mother, and their son) either, but the jaguars were sent to Uchi park zoo and Jeonju zoo in 2018. because many people was in protest of the jaguars being kept only indoors.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2019
  5. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Zoos and aquariums at KAZA Chungcheong Province, Jeolla Province and Jeju Island group

Daejeon O-world
    : Public zoo, The vice chairman of KAZA.
    -note: There are two types of animal exhibition facility, named "zooland" and "Birdland." zooland is one of two zoos in Korea where there is a safari attraction that uses a bus.

Cheongju Zoo
    : Public zoo, Conservation Institution for Conservation of Endangered Species.
    -note: This is the background of the documentary film "Dongmul, Won" which was released in Korea this year. They are small and poor, but they have relocation plans with zookeepers and veterinarians who have a firm commitment to animal welfare.

Jeonju Zoo: Public zoo
    -note: It was one of the most notorious zoos for its poor environment, but improvements have been made to the point of calling itself an "ecological zoo" under the current mayor's policy. The biggest improvement achievement is the wolf exhibit named "wolf's forest". The wolf can hide well enough to people couldn't find.

Uchi park zoo: Public zoo
    -note: It is not as much as Jeonju Zoo, but it is where the renovation is taking place slowly.

National Institute of Ecology: national facilities zoo and research facility
    -note: It is the only national facility among the member of KAZA. it is not just the display of animals, also do the study about biology and ecology.

Marine Park(Seogwipo): Private aquariums.
    -note: I don't know about this place. I just know that this is the place to perform using dolphins.

6. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Zoos and aquariums at KAZA Gyeongsang Province Group

Dalseong park zoo
    : Public zoo
    -note: The oldest facility and worst place among Korean public zoos. No improvement has been made since it was built inside the historic site of Dalseong earth rampart in 1970. Due to the fact that the location is a historical site, expansion or improvement work is impossible and the zoo should be relocated, but it has Just only been mentioned as a political pledge and has not been moved for more than a 20 years. Although the location of the zoo's relocation has been decided in 2017, it is uncertain whether the zoo will be built properly because Daegu Metropolitan City, operator of dalseong park does not know the zoo well.

Samjung the park: Built by public, but operations are conducted by private construction company named "Samjung".
    -note: The zoo was rebuilt on the site of "Seongjigok Zoo", a public zoo in Busan that operated from 1972 to 2005. It was the Busan Metropolitan Government that oversaw the construction, but Samjung, a former construction company, runs the zoo as the city continues to delay the acquisition. So the name is "Samjeong" The Park. With the Busan Metropolitan Government delaying the acquisition of the zoo, Samjung owes more than $45 million for construction costs. So Samjung The Park is collecting relatively high admission fees.

Jinyangho zoo: Public zoo
    -note: my home town zoo. worst place among Korean public zoos with Dalseong park zoo. There are plans to relocate in six to seven years.

Ulsan grand park zoo: Public zoo
    -note: I don't know in detail, but I know it's not that big.

SEA LIFE Busan Aquarium: Private aquarium. The Branch office of KAZA.
    -note: The most famous aquarium in the southern part of Korea, has longest acrylic tunnel in korea. It is run by Merlin Entertainments' SEA LIFE, and was sometimes display rescued Finless porpoise. Until their treatment is complete.

Daegu aquarium: Private aquarium.
    -note: It is on the top floor of the Shinsegae daegu, a large department store in Daegu Metropolitan City. and It is one of two Korean aquariums that has manatees.

Jangsaengpo Whale Museum: Public aquarium.
    -notes: It is a museum to commemorate the famous whaling base of Jangsaengpo, a port in Ulsan Metropolitan City. they has bottlenose dolphins for the performance, but they were captured at Taiji in Japan. Therefore, even though it is a public facility, it having come under tremendous criticism for bring dolphins captured from taiji and raising them for performance purposes.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2019
  7. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

I add one zoo in this group because I missed one in this group.

Incheon Grand park zoo: Public zoo.
    -notes: I don't know in detail, but I think this place will be similar to Ulsan Grand Park.

8. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

@dt644 Which Korean zoos do you think are 'must-visits'?

9. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Ordinary people will choose Seoul Zoo or EVERLAND, but I will choose National Ecology Center. there are focuses on educating "ecosystems," and so on, including animal and plants exhibit galleries that reenacted the five climatic zones.

It is equipped with the largest area deer exhibit in Korea, about Water deer, the Siberian roe deer and the Long-tailed goral. also has the second largest area Eurasian otter exhibit, and the largest area Bird of prey exhibit.

And it is also the only place in Korea where accommodate Black stork, Rhino iguanas, Gentoo penguins and Chinstrap penguins. Black stork is a winter migratory bird that visits South Korea very rarely.

Last edited: 24 Dec 2019
  10. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

The place which are known to be run by government agencies, famous about for displaying animals or conservation facilities, are as follows:

Baekdudaegan National Arboretum
    -note: Located In the deep mountains of Bonghwa County, North Gyeongsang Province. it was opened 2017, run by the Korea Forest Service.

The Korea Forest Service built this place the for seven Amur tigers brought in from China(six were brought in from China, and one was born in Daejeon O-world 2012.) 1994 to 2011 to display them to brag about "restoration of the Korean tiger". but it were built too late, and all but one died due to the lack of knowledge of tiger management.

So now, there are Amur tigers sent from the Seoul Zoo are now on display.

Natural Monument Center
    -note: It is located in Daejeon Metropolitan City, run by the Cultural Heritage Administration of Korea. The endangered species is generally managed by the Ministry of Environment, but in South Korea has protected natural objects called "natural monuments," including several species of animals and plants, which are managed by the Cultural Heritage Administration.

Although it is a museum focused on stuffed animals and specimens, it exhibits several fish designated as natural monuments.

Species restoration technology institute
    -note: They are operated by the Korea National Park Service. responsible for the structure, breeding, and reintroduced of endangered species, and they has four centers. main, central, northern and plants centers.

• The main center: located in Gurye County, South Jeolla Province. It is responsible Ussuri black bear.
    • Central center: located in Yeongju City, North Gyeongsang Province. responsible Red fox.
    • Northern center: located in Inje County, Gangwon Province, responsible Long-tailed goral.
    • Plants center: located in Muju County, North Jeolla Province. responsible plants like a name.
    they can be difficult for foreigners to go because as I known, advance reservations are required for viewing.

National Science Museum
    -note: A science museum located in Daejeon metropolitan city It is operated Ministry of Science and ICT and Communication many fossils and animal specimens, including stuffed animal specimens that were kept at Changgyeongwon Zoo, the predecessor of the Seoul Zoo, are on display, and there is displays freshwater fish, insects, amphibians.

The other Science Museum operated by the Ministry of Science and ICT is as follows.

• Gwacheon National Science Museum: located in Gwacheon City, Gyeonggi Province.

The Science Museum cooperative with the Ministry of Science is as follows. most of them also displays animal specimens and live fish, insects.
    • Gwangju National Science Museum: located in Gwangju Metropolitan City.
    • Daegu National Science Museum: located in Daegu Metropolitan City.
    • Busan National Science Museum: located in Busan Metropolitan City.
    • National children's Science Museum: located in Seoul Special City.

And I missed it to write. The National Institute of Ecology is managed by the Ministry of Environment. I'll stop here and keep writing because the list is going to be longer.

11. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

South Korea's Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries has several aquariums and maritime museums, but their organization is complicated so writes only them down separately.

Korea National Maritime Museum

-note: An aquarium and museum about sea, located in Busan Metropolitan City.

National Marine Biodiversity Institute of Korea
    -note: Located Seocheon County, South Chungcheong Province. They displaying marine specimens more than living animals, but it is displaying the only alive Sea snakes at Korea.

National Fisheries Research and Development Institute(NFRDI)
    -note: Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries's research center. headquarter located in Busan Metropolitan City, they has a branch offices in another area. The aquarium and museum belonging to the NFRDI is as follows.

• Fisheries Science Museum: It is part of the NFRDI headquarters facility in Busan. they has aquarium, and I think their famous things is Bones specimen of Right whale found dead in Incheon in 1996. and there is a old Sea turtle specimen named "Gangjin turtle". Gangjin turtle was captive in 1949, and the first bred Sea turtle at Korea.
    • Inland Fisheries Research Institute(중앙내수면연구소): located in Gapyeong County, Gyeonggi Province. As its name suggests, research on freshwater fish is the main, they are displays freshwater fish specimen and live freshwater fish.
    • Inland Aquaculture Research Center(내수면양식연구센터): located in Changwon City, South Gyeongsang Province. it is affiliated Organizations for the Inland Fischer Research Institute. concentrated on the breeding and population growth of freshwater fish.
    • Cetacean Research Institute: located Ulsan Metropolitan City, It is a research institute that studies marine mammals. There are no living animals, but I heard that there are many whale specimens.

Chlidonias likes this.
  12. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

I will correct the wrong information. The whale bones specimen at the Fisheries Science Museum is not Right whale(Eubalaena spp.) but Fin whale(Balaenoptera physalus).

In Korea, Right whale and Fin whale are called same name. so I was confused their English names.

13. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

The Ministry of Environment has other animal exhibition facilities besides the aforementioned National Institute of Ecology. In addition, the National Park Service, which operates the Species restoration technology institute is technically a sub-organization of the Ministry of Environment.

National Institute of Biological Resources
    (NIBR)
    -note: Located in Incheon Metropolitan City. It's older then NNIBR below but NNIBR is more famous, so I don't know much about this place.

Nakdonggang National Institute of Biological Resources(NNIBR)
    -note: Located in Sangju City, North Gyeongsang Province. I heard they displays little live fish and insect, but they has great stuffed animal dioramas, with rare extinct animal stuffed specimens, such as Great auk, Carolina parakeet, Labrador duck, Passenger Pigeon, Paradise parrot, Heath hen and a pair of Huia.

And the Korea Forest Service, which previously said it operates Baekdudaegan National Arboretum, operates one more of the following Arboretum facilities.

Korea National Arboretum
    -note: Located in Pocheon City, Gyeonggi Province. It is in charge of breeding and proliferating Relic longhorned beetle(Callipogon relictus), an endangered species and natural monument insect in Korea, and sometimes displays their alive Relic longhorn beetle as a special planned exhibition about insects. there are also living wild Relic Longhorned Beetle, But they are very rarely found.

Previously, it was ran a zoo but shut down at 2017. because a male Amur tiger named "Duman" from china, he was most important exhibition animal at that zoo, but moved to Baekdudaegan National Arboretum.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2019
    FunkyGibbon likes this.
  14. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Let's Run Park
    -note: They are theme parks about horses and horse racing, include Petting zoo. owned by the Korean Racing Association, that Under the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. there are three places in Korea.

• Let's Run Park Seoul: Located in Gwacheon City, Gyeonggi Province.
    • Let's Run Park Busan Gyeongnam: Located in Busan Metropolitan City.
    • Let's Run Park Jeju: Located in Jeju island. as far as I can tell, the Korean Racing Authority bought two Plains zebras from Florida in 2007, saying it would exhibit them here, but the whereabouts of the two zebras are unknown.
    The animal exhibition facilities in Korea that I know are run by government agencies are about this much. If I find more later, I'll add it, and now I'll move on to another topic about zoos and aquariums at Korea.

15. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

The list that I'm going to write this time is animal exhibition facilities run by local governments in South Korea, not affiliated with KAZA. Animal exhibition facilities run by local governments in Korea are often composed of insects and fish to operate on a low budget. I will write down the checked places by region.

To write this list, I also looked at the list of WZD, that drill told from above. As I have thought of it, I had seen that site a long time ago, but I didn't remember that. So I thanks for drill reminded WZD site again.

Located in Gyeonggi Province

Seodaemun Museum of Natural History
    -note: Located and operated by Seoul Special City. It mainly displays fossil and animal specimens, but also displays live frogs, fish and insects. as well as male Asian elephant stuffed specimen and bones specimen named "Koko", which were born at Seoul Children’s Grand Park in 1995, dead in 2002.

Dream Forest
    -note: Located and operated by Seoul Special City. Sika deer are on display. It's not exactly a petting zoo, but like other Korean zoos, many thoughtless visitors seem to feed the deer often at will.

Pangyo Sports Center
    -note: Located and operated by Seongnam City. It is a public gym, but there is a facility on the first floor that displays insects, hedgehogs and turtles, according to their website.

Guri Insect Ecology Museum
    -note: Located and operated by Gury City. Not only insects but also small-sized reptiles and amphibians appear to be on display.

Freshwater Fisheries Research Institute
    -note: Located in Yangpyeong City and operated by Gyeonggi Province Gov. It is a part of Gyeonggi Province Maritime and Fishery Resource Research Institute. I think it will be difficult for foreigners to watch because it has reservation system.

Bucheon Natural Ecological Park
    -note: Located and operated by Bucheon City. There is a small zoo that displays several kinds of animals.

Incheon Butterfly Park
    -note: Located and operated by Incheon Metropolitan City. This place even promoted they had first exhibition of dragonflies at korea in 2011, but now I think they don't have dragonflies.

Located in Gangwon Province

Hwajinpo Aquarium
    -note: Located and operated by Goseong County. The website of here was promoting they are displaying Alaska pollock(Theragra chalcogramma). Alaska pollock is a fish that Koreans eat a lot, but due to overfishing, it is no longer caught in Korea's sea.

So, while importing pollack to eat from a foreign country and a breeding study of pollack forms captured in Korean waters is under way, several aquariums in Korea display such this cultured pollack. However, since most of the aquariums that display these cultured pollack are known to have died in large numbers, it is not clear whether this place still has pollack.

Gyeongpo Aquarium

-note: Located and operated by Gangneung City. This place is mainly displayed Asian small-clawed otter.

Hwacheon Native Fish Experience Eco Center
    (토속어류생태체험관)
    -note: Located and operated by Hwacheon County. They are displaying mainly about freshwater fish native to the Korean Peninsula, and their exhibition size does not seem to be that big.

PyeongChang Donggang Freshwater Fish Ecology Center
    -note: Located and operated by PyeongChang County. They seem to put Korean doty barbel(Hemibarbus mylodon), that's endangered specie and native specie of fish on the Korean Peninsula that inhabit also this region, as its main species while exhibiting fishes.

Yangyang Insectarium
    -
    note: Located and operated by Yangyang County. They are displaying small fish and insects. Local news reports in 2019 said their displaying animals has short life spans because they didn't have professional zookeeper and Yangyang County is pushing for a use to another usage this building.

Samcheok Freshwater Fish Exhibition
    (삼척민물고기전시관)
    -note: Located in Samcheok City and operated by Gangwon Province Gov. I don't know here detail.

Located in Chungcheong Province

Danuri Aquarium
    -note: Located and operated by Danyang County, North Chungcheong Province. This place exhibits mostly freshwater fish.

Chungnam Wild Animal Rescue Center
    -note: Located in Yesan County, South Chungcheong Province. As its name suggests, it is the facility dedicated to wildlife rescue, not zoo. but as the largest and most professional rescue center in Korea, and it is displaying several rescued wild animals that they were determined couldn't back to the wild. In particular, it is the only place in Korea that has Crested honey buzzards(Pernis ptilorhynchus).

Cheongju Land Butterfly Park
    -note: Located and operated by Cheongju City, South Chungcheong Province. It is attached to Cheongju Land with the aforementioned Cheongju Zoo.

Geumgang Natural Recreation Forest
    (Geumgang Arboretum, KeumKang Arboretum)
    -note: Located in Gongju City and operated by South Chungcheong Province Gov. I know that there is a zoo with Asian bear and Japanese macaque.

Asan Ecological Environment Insect Museum
    -note: Located and operated by Asan City, South Chungcheong Province. Although it is focuses on insects, its website also promotes mammals and reptiles such as Meerkats, Chipmunks, and Blue tongue skinks.

Daecheongho Natural Ecology Center

-note: Located and operated by Daejeon Metropolitan City. It looks like they have a small zoo that keeps rabbits and so on is attached, but I don't know in detail.

Located in Jeolla Province

Geumgang Migratory Bird Observatory

-note: Located and operated by Gunsan City, North Jeolla Province. It is an observatory facility for visitors to see the Baikal teals(Anas formosa), a winter migratory bird that many number comes to this region during the winter, but it also has facilities for raising and displaying birds.

The Suncheonman National Garden

-note: Located and operated by Suncheon City, South Jeolla Province. This place is after the garden fair held in 2013, still used as a garden thema park. There is a zoo that displays not so big animals, such as the Aldabra tortoise, Otter, Wallaby and birds.

Maritime & Fisheries Science Museum

-note: Located in Yeosu City and operated by South Jeolla Province Gov. It is the aquarium and museum, which has the largest cylindrical tank in Korea, according to their website. But I think the cylindrical tank at the POSCO Center in Seoul is bigger.

Seomjingang River Fish Museum
    -note: Located in Gurye County and operated by South Jeolla Province Gov. The aquarium and Museum, according to their website, are also on display Otters and Chinese pond turtle(Mauremys reevesii). Chinese pond turtle is an endangered species and natural monument animal in Korea.

Jindo Marine Ecology Center
    -note: Located in Jindo County, South Jeolla Province. I'm not sure who operated this, but it seems to be either Jindo County or South Jeolla Province Gov. It was on the list at WZD site, so I looked about it. According to the information and reviews that I could found in internet, I think there are not displaying living animals today. but they are displaying various stuffed marine animals, such as Whale shark, and many kinds of shells.

Located in Gyeongsang Province

E-world
    -note: An amusement park that located and operated by Daegu Metropolitan City. There is a small petting zoo in a corner. that zoo is a very typical petting zoo. but their Saanen goat's exhibit has complex structures, that's see so so.

Uljin Expo Park
    -note: Located and operated by Uljin County, North Gyeongsang Province. They have aquarium, petting zoo and Insectarium.
    • Uljin Aquarium: It is part of Uljin Expo park, and known to be quite large, and there are Sea turtles and Harbor seal. But I don't know much about this place.
    Uljin Freshwater Fish Museum(민물고기생태체험관)
    -note: Located in Uljin County, operated by North Gyeongsang Province Gov. It is part of a Gyeongbuk Research Center for Freshwater Fish.

Andong(Geyongsangbukdo) Wildlife Eco Park(안동/경상북도 야생동물생태공원)
    -note: Located in Andong City, operated by North Gyeongsang Province Gov. As far as I know, it is a wildlife rescue center and also runs a zoo that displays several species of animals.

Yecheon Insect Research Institute & Ecology Center
    -note: Located and operated by Yecheon County, North Gyeongsang Province. Yecheon County is an area actively engaged in research into edible Insects. Since this facility were built to also promoted business, they often makes and promotes food made from insects.

Gyeongsangnamdo Arboretum
    -note: My another home town zoo. Located in Jinju City and operated by South Gyeongsang Province Gov. there is a zoo that serves as a wildlife rescue center.

However, when the registration system for zoos was implemented in Korea in 2017, most of the animals they had were sold elsewhere as an expedient not to register as zoos. So although it is not legally classified as a zoo now, I consider it a small zoo because it is still displaying few animals. And it is one of the places where I said earlier that used an expedient not to register as a zoo. I don't know why they didn't register as zoos. even they are run by "Province gov.".

Hamyang Native Fish Eco Centre
    -note: Located and operated by Hamyang County, South Gyeongsang Province. It is aquarium and fish farm, that mainly about Sturgeons.

Tongyeong Fisheries Science Museum
    -note: Located and operated by Tongyeong City, South Gyeongsang Province. There is an aquarium of not much size.

Mountain Rabbit Song Park
    -note: Located and operated by Changnyeong County, South Gyeongsang Province. It is a petting zoo, that displayed rabbits and another small animals. that built to commemorate the creator of Korea's famous children's song "Santoki."("Santoki" means "Mountain bunny" or "Hare")

I don't know how many Coati there were, but between the end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019, they exchanged guinea pigs at the Jinyangho Zoo for a pair of their South american coati.

Crested Ibis Restoration Center
    -note: Located and operated by Changnyeong County. Although the center is created to restore Crested ibis(Nipponia nippon), as I known the Environment Ministry and the Cultural Heritage Administration are also cooperating in the management of the center, as the bird is so precious. Pre-booking is required for viewing, and the museum is displaying a comparison of Crested ibis and foreign ibis species that are subject to restoration.

Upo Jamjari Nara
    -note: Located and operated by Changnyeong County. "Jamjari" means "dragonfly", like that name, It is a place where dragonflies are displayed. As far as I know, it is the only place in the country that is currently displaying live dragonflies.

Located in Jeju Island

Jeju Nature Park(제주자연생태공원)
    -note: Part of the Hallasan National Park, which was created along the Halla Mountain area, the highest mountain in South Korea. they are displays rescued wild animals and insects that live on Jeju Island, such as Jeju roe deer(C. p. tianschanicus), Jeju White-backed Woodpecker(D. l. quelpartensis).

And as I knew, sometimes they display Prosopocoilus astacoides blanchardi, a stag beetle species which II class endangered species in korea and only inhabit Jeju Island. Some other place at Korea outside Jeju Island also raise this stag beetle for breeding purposes or sometimes sell only male with get permission, which I think here is more special then another facility that breeding P. a. blanchardi. because this facility is on Jeju Island, home of this species.

Jeju Roe Deer Observation Center
    -note: Like the name. A place where Jeju roe deer are displayed. The name is "Ecology", but they allow visitors can feed roe deer, So I think It looks close to Petting zoo.

I think there will be more animal exhibition facilities run by the local governments of Korea besides the ones written here, but I will write down this much. If I find anymore, I will write it down further.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2020
    amur leopard and Chlidonias like this.
  16. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

I'm interested in touring South Korean zoos and aquariums someday, but I'm having trouble finding good species lists for the country's institutions. Is there a database I can search?

For example, COEX Aquarium's website claims to have 17 shark species in its main tank; does anyone know what they are? Thanks!

17. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your interest in Korean zoos and aquariums.

Unfortunately, there are very few people in Korea who want to analyze zoos and aquariums professionally, and most people who run zoos without distinction between public and private sectors are indifferent to managing their own websites.

As a result, the most of Korean zoo's website often shows that there are still species that disappeared a few years ago, and some species have disappeared without a trace. So often have to go through newspaper articles to sort out the kinds of animals that were in zoos and are now in the zoo, and look at posts and the dates visitors wrote on their personal blog.

So In conclusion, there is no database yet to search for animals in Korean zoos and aquariums. If you need anything instead, ask me. I'll answer as many questions as I can.

And I'll find out and let you know about the shark in the Coex Aquarium you asked me.

Jungle Man and RatioTile like this.
  18. RatioTile

Thanks!
    I believe the zoo in Busan has some rare mongoose species; are they still there? How about the birds of paradise?

Also, what’s the aquarium trade sector like in Korea? Are there diverse imports of aquarium fish? I hear about the industry in the rest of East Asia a lot, but I don’t know if fishkeeping is popular in Korea.

19. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

First, I will talk about sharks in the COEX Aquarium. I am sorry but I have never been there, so I have summarized the sharks that are said to be there by referring to the homepage and other articles. It may be different from now, so please note.

• Sand tiger shark (Carcharias taurus)
    • Sandbar shark (Carcharhinus plumbeus)
    • Blacktip reef shark (Carcharhinus melanopterus)
    • Whitetip reef shark (Triaenodon obesus)
    • Tawny nurse shark (Nebrius ferrugineus)
    • Banded houndshark (Triakis scyllium)
    • Nurse shark (Ginglymostoma cirratum)
    • Brownbanded bamboo shark (Chiloscyllium punctatum)
    • Whitespotted bamboo shark (Chiloscyllium plagiosum)
    • Port Jackson shark (Heterodontus portusjacksoni)
    • Horn shark (Heterodontus francisci)
    • Short-tail nurse shark (Pseudoginglymostoma brevicaudatum)
    • Cloudy catshark (Scyliorhinus torazame)
    • Zebra shark (Stegostoma fasciatum)
    • Wobbegong (species unknown)

I think the zoo in Busan you mentioned is Samjung The Park. There has been closed since April 25 due to Busan City's refusal to buy. I visited there twice in 2017, the mongoose at there was only two species that Indian Grey mongoose and Meerkat. And both of two visit, were not opening tropical bird showrooms due to bird flu problems, but I know there is no bird-of-paradisa.

As far as I know, there are only indian gray mongoose and meerkat in Korea now. There are several more private zoos in Busan, but they are all poor indoor zoos, and there are no species that are kept exclusively. But to find 'rare' mongoose species in korea... I think there will be Yellow Mongoose at Cheongju Zoo. Yellow Mongoose doesn't exist now, but that was a species that only Cheongju Zoo had in Korea.

As for bird-of-paradisa in Korea, I had mentioned that in another thread.(Birds of Paradise in captivity) Perhaps even now it is not much different from the one mentioned there.

Animal trade is not a field that I know in detail, so it's hard to tell you in detail, but...to wrote About the ornamental fish raised by individuals, Korea's market for ornamental fish is unlikely to be much different from other countries. There are many private fish farms for breeding ornamental fish, not for edible purposes, and some species tend to rely on imports from the country of origin or Southeast Asia, while others have heard that they exported fish species such as Discus to China.

However, this story is limited to freshwater fish. As far as I know, there are no fish farms in Korea that breed ornamental saltwater fish for commercial purposes. Fish farm in Korea where breed saltwater fish are a place for breed food fish.

Some of Korea's native freshwater fish were taken out by Japan to be improved for ornamental purposes, but most native freshwater fish in Korea are also cultured for food purposes. But deservedly, protected species are exceptions.

some species are raise for food purposes but also raised for ornamental purposes as well, and a typical example is Leopard mandarin fish(Siniperca scherzeri). The Leopard mandarin fish is used for food, but because of its beautiful patterns and appearance, there are people who raise them for ornamental purposes, and there are gold and white varieties that have been improved for ornamental purposes. And in the Han River, there are naturally inhabited by golden leopard mandarin fish, which are designated as natural monuments and protected.

Kifaru Bwana and RatioTile like this.
  20. RatioTile

I found a photo of a rare gibbon at the zoo in Seoul:
    Nomascus concolor / Black crested gibbon in Seoul Grand Park Zoo

My friend who posted this photo has doubts that it was labeled correctly by the zoo. Does anyone know more about this animal?

Also, are there any other parks in the world that keep Nomascus concolor?

Last edited: 17 Jun 2020