Join our zoo community

Literal Dream Zoos

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Yi Qi, 3 Nov 2018.

1. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever had a dream where they were in a fantasy zoo?

Last night, I had a dream I was in this very small zoo that consisted of only one exhibit, a large enclosure with a train running through it. The enclosure had llamas (I counted six) and a single bactrian camel, as well as a pool for american flamingos near the station. Just across from it was a building functioning as a discovery centre and restaurant with a couple animal displays. It seemed to be a mashup of African Lion Safari's Nairobi Sactuary reserve and Riverview Zoo's Hoofstock row.

Mbwamwitu likes this.
  2. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Just curious: was it a lucid dream or a regular dream?

And I kind of don't have dreams. Not sure if this is usual.

3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member

You do, you just don’t remember them. Dreaming is universal among humans and possibly among mammals, from memory.

FelipeDBKO likes this.
  4. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Think it was somewhere in between. After the initial visit I saw it again twice before waking up.

FelipeDBKO likes this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

I see aquariums in my dreams all the time, though regular zoos rarely turn up.

There is one aquarium that has occurred in my dreams multiple times: one where the fish and sea lions can fly, and sometimes escape. They are obviously a pain to catch. ;)

The other aquarium dream I had (only once) is where there is an aquarium nearby that does not have any photos in the ZooChat gallery. I get there, see that the aquarium is awesome, and then realize I don't have my camera. So I can't take any photos of the animals or the exhibits.

6. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member

YO, so glad you made this thread, I've long wanted to share this specific dream but thought no one would want to hear it. Typed a whole phone note recounting it seconds after I woke, so I have it in excruciating detail (lol) which I will summarize below:

The third floor of my apartment building is pretty much empty space. In my dream, that whole space was a small zoo that connected to the apartment on the floor below through a massive waterfall. Half of the zoo was putrid, dark, damp, with cramped cages, seeing no natural light; it had a few reptiles and amphibians, some monkeys, a kangaroo, giant otters, a tiger, and a black panther. Oh, and giant tortoises.

The other half was an indoor tropical rainforest, something like the Amazonia exhibit in National Zoo (DC). Greenhouse walls on one side, but also that massive waterfall in the middle. The giant tortoises were falling and flopping off the top of the waterfowl and landing in the pool below. Other species were occasionally let out to run about the rainforest half. In my dream, it was the black leopard's rotation in that area... and he could also speak to me. Ofc.

For some reason, I decide to advocate for a major renovation that includes getting rid of the large mammals and switching to a "Reptile Zoo" - it would be a more appropriate use of the limited space. The landlord agrees with my idea: to have turtles and tortoises on the lower floor, and bring in snakes for the upper floor.

Since the animals can speak to me (lol), they voice their mixed feelings about this - and, at this point, it gets really weird, because I realize some of them are actually were-animals who can shape-shift from human form (old high school friends) into being kangaroos and giant otters and what not.

Another old school friend of mine is the tenant of the space and he's angry with our renovation plan of his zoo, because he's in love with the girl who turns into a kangaroo. But he's happy that we'll at least get "cooler snakes". We get into an argument because I want to house pythons and pit vipers, and all he wants is king cobras.

Eventually, a box full of snakes arrives. I go to open them. As I do so, thousands of small, weird snake-like worm creatures leap out of the box (labelled "python") and jump at me. They are like leeches, sucking blood. I start killing them as they attack me. We wonder what else the breeder might have sent. And I wake up.

LOL, that was therapeutic.

Yi Qi likes this.
  7. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

What delicious dreams have all of you! Especially the last :)
    I rarely remember what I dream, but there is the last zoo-related dream that I remember:

I was assisting to the Gerald Durrell's funeral. Gerald Durrell was also here, alive, assisting to his own funeral, and sad and disgusted for the lose of a familiar (that was himself). Once ended the funeral, I went with the wife of Gerald to visit the place. I knew that the place have enclosures with rare species that I wish to photograph, and I went to go and see these. Not big outdoor enclosures, but more kinda terrariums and glassed indoor enclosures. But the place, that looks like a weird mix of a restaurant and a commercial center, have other non-zoological things, like shops, etc. And that's what the wife of Gerald want to visit. So I resigned to go here with her, hoping to have the chance of visit the enclosures later. Sadly, I waked up before seein the exhibits or the animals...

Yi Qi likes this.
  8. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member

I've only had one dream involving an aquarium that I remember. It was this really cool looking aquarium by a river somewhere, but you had to take a test to get in.

By the time I completed the test and handed it to the ticket person, I walked inside, and then I woke up.

EUGH

9. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I had another dream last night, where me and my mom were at this exhibit with an indian theme reminiscent of european zoos like Leipzig, that for some reason had common hippos in it (maybe it had a general tropical theme and i'm remembering it wrong?). They were pretty big ones at that, being 2 metres at the shoulder or bigger, and at least one was sitting like a dog. The exhibit itself was pretty impressive, having glass viewing for both underwater and on land, with them having a big grassy field; as mentioned above it was situated in an indian or at least southeast asian temple. I remember seeing a map for it, and I remember seeing red pandas on it just before the temple.

10. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member

I'm sure I've imagined whole zoos in my dreams before, but I never seem to recall them all. Here's some vaguely animal-related dreams I DO remember though

It is the last day of school before Summer and I am taking my pet lizard to my uncle before I go on holiday. He runs a mobile zoo in one small, old-timey circus-style carriage. It contained a European badger, colobus monkeys, a baby orangutan, and various other reptiles

There was an Indian Rhino kept in a small pen underneath the rail bridge in the centre of my home-town (a rather dingy, depressing, post-industrial place). I befriended it and helped it to escape, How to Train Your Dragon style

In another dream I was in a car with two of my childhood friends and one of their mothers. We were driving up a hill away from my hometown, going to what was either some kind of camp in the African jungle or a very immersive safari park. We drove past some geladas on a grassy hill. There was a small hut in the middle of an African jungle/British forest hybrid where we were taught how to track gorillas. One of the guides opened a door and there was an elephant. Later on I spotted a leopard but nobody else could see it

One of the most vivd dreams I've ever had though came from when I was around 5-7. Me and my family were in Blair Drummond Safari Park and all the guests were having picnics in the lion area. I was the only one who seemed to think this was strange, so I went to the petting zoo instead. I heard a growl and turned around, where I saw the big male lion standing in the entrance. It pounced towards me and the dream ended

I'm sure there's some symbolism embedded in those somewhere...

Yi Qi likes this.
  11. Scottish Wildcat

I had a dream about a zoo last night, probably because of this thread. I wish I'd written it down so I could remember it better, but I'm sure it was Edinburgh zoo because I definitely saw the Budongo Trail, but there was also a large indoor tropical house

12. Ebirah766

Maybe it's a prophecy ;)

13. Scottish Wildcat

Maybe I should try and dream about the zoo as it was ten years ago then!

14. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I just remembered I had another dream weeks ago, where I was visiting the Toronto Zoo and there was an exhibit for the normally off-show New Guinea singing dogs. Thing is, their exhibit was a barren cell with little to no lighting, and the dog itself was morbidly obese and immobile.

15. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Yet another dream I had was that my mother has bought an elephant sanctuary in Illinois and my family subsequently moved there. There were four indian elephants, all female, and they all lived primarily indoors with only a small outdoor pen the size of my house. Strangely enough, my normally-zoo hating mother was rather chill about it, though she did want to change it. I got to interact with with them all with their keeper, even petting them before I woke up,

16. Ebirah766

I repeatedly have had dreams about a zoo somewhere in New York, and I'll try to get more information up later.

17. birdsandbats

I have dreamed about various zoos the past three nights. Here they are:

Night One: The Best Zoo Ever
    This zoo was located on a green sphere randomly floating in the sky (looked kind of like this): [​IMG]
    It featured vast, open exhibit for hundreds of species. Visitors could enter any exhibit they wished, though the animals were restrained by invisible fences. Only visitors with common sense could enter the exhibits. :p The zoo was also a green city (literally and figuratively) with about fifty people living there, and a hotel. However, during the course of the dream, the animals all escaped after the computer system went down. At the end, though, they all got back in their enclosures (but only after I was chased by a Snow Leopard).

Night Two: The Best Small Aquarium
    In this dream, I visited a small aquarium that I had never been to and was unrepresented in the ZooChat galleries. What I found was a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong hallway filled ceiling to floor with fish tanks. Saltwater, freshwater, brackish, river, lake, open ocean, coral reef, and everything in-between. It had what I thought for some reason was 'the best Blind Cave Fish Tank Ever' but in real life it would be very poor. This is what the tank looked like:
    [​IMG]
    At the end was a view from a window of a pond (owned by the aquarium) for "Common Bottlenose Lake Dolphins", Mediterranean Monk Seals, a rainbow colored Alligator Snapping Turtle/tortoise hybrid, and (drum roll please)... a pair of Vaquitas! In real life, this would be a very nice, if small, aquarium.

Night Three: Wisconsin World Aquarium
    In this dream, I had already been to said facility (though in real life it doesn't exist :p). Wisconsin World Aquarium was just like Dallas World Aquarium, except it was an actual aquarium except there were no Yapoks or rare birds (or rare anything). In my dream, WWA had just opened a 'Wisconsin River' exhibit that was viewed from the rainforest canopy above (very Wisconsin-like theme here). The first tanks contained some native species and some sort of Amazonian catfish. The second contained Amazonian fish, and a tree that had a statue of a Koala (o_O) and Venezuelan Troupials. The final was coral reef (double o_O) complete with a Hawksbill Turtle.

Looking forward to what I see tonight. :)

Jambo likes this.
  18. Scottish Wildcat

Oh I forgot to mention this dream I had ages ago when I was still in school

The dream was set in my high school, but for one day they had transformed it into a theme park with rollercoasters going from the different departments and costumed characters and stuff. The only zoo elements was a tiger in home economics that I didn't see, and the football pitches which had been flooded and turned into a lake for hippos

Yi Qi likes this.
  19. Ebirah766

What exactly did the tank look like for the blind cave fish?

20. birdsandbats

Just like the picture.