Join our zoo community

Literal Dream Zoos

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Yi Qi, 3 Nov 2018.

1. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member

Just a box with 3 huge cave fish?

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

Actually a box with 20 tiny cave fish. :p

3. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Last night I dreamed I was visiting some zoo with a massive polar bear exhibit, around 12 to 40 hectares in size. Much of it was a massive pool with fake ice flows around it, and and you had to take a boat to see it all. There was also something related to elephants, but I can't remember much of it.

4. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

A few nights ago (likely last week), I dreamed my family was at this small zoo located entirely inside a barn. We met the owner, a guy who had a string southern accent with the appearance to match to took us on a tour, but I was alone within him for the rest of the tour. One exhibit, the only one I remember was for two black panthers (didn't living in an all outdoor enclosure the size of my house. For some reason, my guide got angry and stern for some reason. The zoo ended with a gift shop that was literally a modern store like Walmart or Petsmart.

5. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member

A while back I had a dream the African spoonbills at the Oakland zoo began singing a dancing as if they were in a Broadway play. I'm like 90% sure they also had top hats and canes

Mbwamwitu, Sarus Crane, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  6. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

Had two dreams about really horrible zoos where the animals suffered. One of them had a happy ending, the zoo got reported and shut down and the animals were sent to better zoos.

Did have one surreal zoo dream. I was taking a tour at the Houston Zoo. We leave the elephant area and walk for a while on a path in an empty, open field with nothing but bright green grass. We reach the orca exhibit. It looked like a tank version of the langur exhibit at the San Antonio Zoo. Like a lot of wild animals that appear in my dreams, the orcas were much smaller than in real life, maybe about the size of porpoises, no bigger than bottlenose dolphins. I stop and stare at the orcas, they stare back. The tour group moves on, but I'm just entranced by the orcas. Then the dream ends.

Yi Qi likes this.
  7. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Had another dream about a zoological park, and like TheMightyOrca's, it was about killer whales too. My family was in Montreal and and at some aquarium, where I watched an orca show. The weird thing was the tank wasn't so much a tank as a lake around 2 metres deep by my estimate. There was also a large machine in the back which the orcas went into and were shot out of.

8. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

'Nother dream. This time, it was a mashup of some water ride and animal exhibit alsa Aquatica, with a middle eastern or mediterranean theme. The slide had two animal exhibits - a fish tank of nondescript fish, and the other a glass viewing to another (which later turned out to be a bedroom for my great aunt). The first time, the ride was outside, the next it was inside.

Mbwamwitu likes this.
  9. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member

The day you posted this I was in Jacksonville having fun with their African Spoonbills and wish they were doing the same! They're pretty big for a spoonbill and their red legs and facial skin make them a great candidates for a broadway show! Roseate's are so overated......

Mbwamwitu and Hipporex like this.
  10. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member

I've had lots of zoo/animal related dreams mostly good, some scary. Are there separate threads for good and bad dreams related to animals/zoos? I was wondering because some of the scary ones might be appropriate to post towards Halloween time.

11. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

My dream was probably the most surreal one I had in a while. I got my parents to take me to Parc Safari, but it was located at the top of a large hill/mountain, no doubt one of the Monteregian Hills. "Parc Safari" was entirely indoors, with several exhibits outside, notably flamingoes and another being a very small cage for lions - who were on its roof, but no-one cared; according to mom it was 11 PM yet seemed to be daytime, hence the flamingos sleeping. At the end before I woke, Junot and Carole the african elephants were walked around it, and got to see their indoor paddock, a paltry 9-sqaure metre room.

12. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member

Driving through a safari park (that I apparently own?) with my mum. There's a big open reserve with quite a rough, winding road, with no other cars around. Mum's driving too fast and ends up running over a couple of small birds (like finches and I think one guineafowl? She doesn't really like animals so I guess it makes sense on a meta level). I tell her to slow down and we come to the centre point of the reserve which is a large lake surrounded by palm trees.
    In and around it are several elephants and giraffes: all white, like the pictures of elephants you see at Etosha covered in clay (though I'm not sure if these ones were covered in clay or just leucistic, I'm sure I asked myself that question in the dream too). There is a lion reserve (That I didn't see) but we didn't go in it because our car was suddenly one of those pump cars that requires two people to operate.

Cut to an interior reptile-house. A keeper is handling a (very fat) baby Nile crocodile for a small group of teenagers (me among them). Apparently we were with some kind of programme at the zoo, because he was congratulating us (mostly me) on "all our hard work over the last few weeks". There are some tanks with snakes in the room and I walk around them looking for an African rock python. I point out a few snakes and asks the guide if they're pythons, but he corrects me (they were fictional species I'm sure I made up: the "African Bush Rattlesnake" for example). Eventually there is one floor-to-ceiling (but rather thin) tank where the window is part of a fake tree trunk, this holds the python. A door from the snake room leads to a large open indoor exhibit that is either an aviary or a Nile crocodile exhibit

I woke up and fell back asleep again, and I'm sure I had some kind of dream involving dragons (I watched a certain new movie last night), but I can't remember it.

Mbwamwitu and Yi Qi like this.
  13. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Another night, another dream, this time a friend invited me to a wedding at a church down the street from where I lived, but when my family got there, it had been replaced by three islands, each for a different monkey - the first was for squirrel monkeys and the third was for white-handed gibbons. The strange part was that each island, as I walked closer to them, morphed into water rides. There was also a room we entered that functioned as a storage facility full of disused play structures, including one that was a cow.

I remember that I had reading about a small zoo in Kansas called the Ralph Mitchell Zoo that has a WPA-era monkey island earlier that may have inspired it.

I've written so many entries in this thread, I might have to make my own seperate thread for them.

Mbwamwitu likes this.
  14. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member

I think you need to design a full fantasy zoo combining all your different dreams. It can become a full go-to dream landscape for you like in Inception :p

15. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member

I've got three dream zoos that I can remember, the first one has a giant exhibit with great white sharks (weirdest and least viewed from my dream), the second on was a literal city zoo, meaning the zoo was in the city with a drive through shark exhibit, free roaming lemurs, and some huge hippo exhibit, and the final one was a mix of Milwaukee and Brookfield with an exhibit with Sifaka and Proboscis Monkey, a tiny Bison that people could pet, and Asian Elephants

Yi Qi likes this.
  16. Ebirah766

Hey, guess what. I had another dream where it cuts off before I actually get to see the place. Only exhibit I remember was a small in-wall exhibit that was sandy that held a couple minnows or whatever they're called.

17. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Though I dream about a tropical paradise teeming with wildlife often,the only zoo set dream I had,was of this noisy family that I actually encountered during a real life visit to Wingham that banged on both the chimp and barbary macaque enclosure windows, being inside their own exhibit and anthropomorphised chimps and gorillas banging on their window and pulling faces,mocking them

18. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member

I remember having a dream of a small zoo, but actually have pretty huge hippo exhibit and an exhibit filled with crocodiles.

Another one is a zoo in a building. Like a building for aquarium but it's a zoo. I remember going into a pygmy hippo exhibit and suddenly ends.

I also have a dream going onto some sort of large, underground aquariums. The tanks are pretty huge. And I also saw some pretty huge manatee exhibit.

19. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I had a dream of visiting a small free-admission zoo consisting of a large muddy field home to a large clydesdale/shire horse and a giant grizzly bear with an open shelter at its furthest left, and it was viewed via raised walkway; I even got to feed the horse. The exhibit was directly next to a stadium-shaped lake with an island in the middle, home to some species of primate, perhaps spider or capuchin monkeys. Towards the end, I went from walking to on a flatbed-like vehicle that went around the bend and seeing a map that suggested there was a tropical house and other exhibits, but I woke up before I could see more.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2019
  20. Ebirah766

I had a dream where I was at an aquarium that was in Hawai'i, and South Korea at the same time. Only exhibits I remember was the open ocean area that had the tunnel above the ground and completely glass, as well as a giant squid, humpback whales, etc. and a lab-sort of exhibit featuring smaller animals.