Join our zoo community

SEA LIFE Weymouth Little penguins return to Europe

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 21 May 2018.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

TNT, Macaw16, Fallax and 13 others like this.
  2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow!

Brum likes this.
  3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wow from me as well!

4. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

WOW - interesting, as it's all gone quiet down at Living Coasts about their proposed import. I wonder if they are involved?

5. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Oh wow! Is been many years since I last went to Weymouth, must be about time for another trip :)

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice one!

I do hope they have learned from past husbandry experiences (avian malaria and other diseases to which these "tropical" penguins are susceptible.

8. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The fact that they refer to then as the first colony of little penguins in Europe makes me question how aware they are of past problems with keeping this species.

9. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I visited the Weymouth Sea Life Centre today; although I've been a number of times previously, my last visit must have been at least ten years ago.

Generally speaking, I am not very enthusiastic about Sea Life Centres but have always thought the Weymouth one was better than most of the others. I enjoyed my visit today, especially the weedy sea dragons.

It is probably not necessary to comment that today's visit was primarily to see the recently arrived little blue penguins, the only ones currently in Europe (although I have seen the species several times previously at both Antwerp Zoo and Bristol Zoo in years gone by).

The little blue penguins have an indoor pool and access to a spacious sand-covered outdoor enclosure. They were incredibly noisy; I've never known little blue penguins (or indeed any penguin species) to be so vocal; at the end of the afternoon, when all twenty were shut in their indoor accommodation, the noise they made was deafening.

NB If anyone else is planning a trip to Weymouth soon, it is advisable to book your entry tickets, in advance, on-line; this is considerably cheaper than buying them at the entrance on arrival.

kiang, Kifaru Bwana, pipaluk and 3 others like this.
  10. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to a photo in The Times on Saturday (29th February) two Fairy (Blue or Little) Penguins have been born there, which is almost certainly a U.K. first. I have been unable to find further details, not even on the Sea Life website. Anyone know more?

11. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wow

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

13. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sea Life are having quite the start to 2020, what with these births, and the arrival of the sea otters. Very impressive, hopefully these developments are the start of a trend towards more individuality in the UK centres. :)

14. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It is obviously excellent news that little blue penguins have hatched at Weymouth Sea Life Centre.

However whilst it is, I think, a UK first breeding I am sure the claim that they are the first of the species to be hatched in Europe is erroneous; little blue penguins have previously hatched in Antwerp Zoo.

Kifaru Bwana, pipaluk and TriUK like this.
  15. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cologne has also bred them.

Kifaru Bwana, pipaluk and Tim May like this.
  16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the meantime 3 more chicks have hatched. Sexes of the Weymouth-bred animals 5 males and 4 females.

17. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Which now brings the colony to 29 animals; 16 males and 13 females.

FBBird, Jungle Man, pipaluk and 4 others like this.
  18. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited on the 20th May 2021 and it was a very wet, windy and cold day. But I really did not care as the Blue Penguins were fabulous.

The signage suggested one of the males has left/died.

The Weymouth SLC is made up of a series of separate buildings each housing a different type of habitat but with open doors both ends the wind really whistles through. It was freezing.

I saw the penguins, did a quick walk through and then rushed back to the heat of the car heater.

If you have the get in half price Carex packs from last year. they do honour these but I could not see how to do it online so I booked a slot as someone with a voucher and a nice young man did the inputting when I got to the desk.

pipaluk, ShonenJake13 and Brum like this.
  19. Dianamonkey

Dianamonkey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have just visited the little penguins at Weymouth. In passing I asked a member of staff how many there were but she didn't know for sure. Just wondered if anyone knew if they were increasing in number or decreasing? I know they bred a year ago six chicks which is encouraging. However I remember the Wuppertal group failed a few months after I saw them. Thanks

Last edited: 3 Mar 2022