Join our zoo community

Little Rock Zoo Little Rock Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Cyberscribe, 15 Mar 2011.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Milwaukee Man

4. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. michaelarthur

michaelarthur Active Member 5+ year member

Little Rock Zoo - Meet the newest members of the Zoo... | Facebook

Three Angolan Colobus monkeys have gone on display in the Primate House, I'm not sure from where. They are only temporary guests until a new exhibit gets built across from big cats, I'm assuming they will be a part of 'Africa' however at this point 'across from big cats' is very vague.

I also pulled the following from the Arkansas Zoological Foundation website:

"The next major capital campaign for the Zoo will launch in 2017 and will be the largest undertaking of the Zoo Foundation and the City to date. It will renovate a significant portion of the Zoo and feature charismatic animals that will tell a story of wildlife conservation in an immersive and experiential setting."

So I'm looking forward to seeing some exciting changes coming soon!!

drill and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Any speculation as to what animals it will include? Do you have any idea what the future of elephants at the zoo is?

7. michaelarthur

Honestly I can't even speculate, giraffes with return and they want to add hippos but those are the only ones specifically mentioned coming to the zoo, everything else on the master plan is already at the zoo. As far as what the coming project is I can't say either, they aren't exactly following the master plan in any order lol.

Elephants I've touched on in my introduction topic:
    "As you may know they will be extending the elephant area eventually, according to the master plan they are going to extend the current area closer to the cafe as well as further expansion of the barn and then add a new yard across the path where there is currently a flamingo and other water fowl pond. Altogether it should increase the total space the elephants can use to almost double the current amount of yard and barn space."

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you know why the zoo has not already brought giraffes back? Do they feel that the former exhibit is no longer suitable for giraffes?

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am glad with have an Arkansan local now to check and enjoy changes at the state's premier zoo experience! Along with some of the older and iconic residents passing away in recent years, it has seen some nice additions over the last few years.

Could you perhaps share a link to the Masterplan or where we can find it?

michaelarthur likes this.
  10. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. michaelarthur

@DavidBrown My understanding is that it's been mostly due to a lack of spare animals in the captive population that the zoo could acquire and I'm speculating it is also convenience as I know they have been wanting for a while to replace the giraffe barn (as I believe the current barn is the one that they opened giraffes with) and I'm sure it would certainly be far easier to move the camels currently in the giraffe enclosure and build a new barn/probably expand their yard than it would be to move giraffes during demo and reconstruction. But again I have no idea what their current next step will be but apparently something big is coming soon.

12. michaelarthur

Update: I would have watched it sooner but I had class lol. The director announced this morning via Facebook Live the renewal of a private sponsorship from Coleman Dairy various events as they have in the past as well as their dairy products for animal and cafe use and this year they are sponsoring a new exhibit that will feature the new Angolan Colobus Monkeys and Servals (which is questionable to me as the Serval pair currently living at the zoo is extremely geriatric, but whatever) I hope they might do a new exhibit for the Caracals in his as well but more details and groundbreaking will come in the following months.

13. michaelarthur

A 10 year old female Eastern Black Rhino, Andazi, will be leaving Zoo Atlanta for Little Rock on March 30th. She will be joining Johari, at 22 year old male who has lived at the zoo since 1995 and I believe was the most recent rhino to have been born at the zoo (I don't know for sure but the math adds up) but hopefully not the last.

Andazi the rhino leaving Zoo Atlanta

14. gabryatfendor

gabryatfendor Well-Known Member

Has Eastern Black Rhino Andazi arrived yet?

15. Milwaukee Man

16. Milwaukee Man

17. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does Little Rock still have talapoin monkeys? Which species and how many, if so?

18. michaelarthur

Very sad to hear about Agave, partially because now her brother has to live alone, which he has never done as far as I know.

I just visited a week ago and to the best of my memory they don't currently have any talapoin monkey in the current collection. A lot of their collection was already geriatric and they are working towards renovating the primate/bird/reptile building in the (hopefully near) future.

jayjds2 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. Milwaukee Man

20. michaelarthur

In addition to the fences being taller according to the Senior Carinvore keeper that I spoke to during Bear Awareness Week there will be a training demonstration area which will be neat for educational chats and such.

Also during that visit I got to see the black rhinos being introduced and I ran into one of the primate keepers that confirmed the zoo will have received a third female Colobus monkey and a new male serval for the exhibit that will be breaking ground in the fall.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.