Join our zoo community

Minnesota Zoo Live Enrichment

Discussion in 'United States' started by zooman, 26 Jul 2008.

1. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was very interested to see that Minnesota Zoo places live fish into the bear enclosure. Personally think it's a great idea.

How have the public responded to this?

Any other zoos offering live food to mammals?

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The Mountain View Conservation Centre (see its own thread if you want more information) feeds live quail to some of its carnivores. There are some zoos in India that have been notorious for feeding live goats and sheep to its lions and tigers.

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Feeding any live vertabrate out is illegal in south australia so we can only use like inverst for enrichment. i think it all depends how often thebears eat them.

THe live quail sound very cruel.

4. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I think heard that Woodland Park Zoo also gives live fish to it's grizzly bears, but I'm not sure if they still do. And when the "Ultimate Zoo" show came out in Animal Planet, they showed Detroit giving live fish to their Polar Bears in the Artic Ring of Life exhibit, but I'm also not sure if they still do.

The Los Angeles zoo gives live gold fish and crayfish to it's otters. This is really fun for the public and of course the otters enjoy following them around the exhibit until they catch them.

I think it's a great idea to an extent. I don't think the public will mind fish, but I think they will mind seeing quail and goats being eaten by the predators. Zoos could do it before the zoo opens or right after they close, so the public won't get to see the other animals die.

5. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are goldfish in the tiger exhibit at melbourne zoo but i haven't ever seen the tigers in the water anyway so i don't know how successful it is.

6. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I think goldfish are way too small to motivate a tiger.