Join our zoo community

Living Coasts (Closed) Living Coasts closed permanently

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jennings, 15 Jun 2020.

1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One of the really nice things about Hamerton for me, is NO PENGUINS! I appreciate all the good things about them, but the money that is spent on their life support systems would fund a lot more species that I happen to find more attractive. And yes, I've been bitten by my fair share of penguins.

TNT likes this.
  2. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not sure how to feel about the anti-penguin sentiment :p

ZooBinh likes this.
  3. FBBird

It wasn't so much of an anti penguin sentiment, as a recognition that penguins take up an awful lot of resources, and are (imho!) no more interesting than a lot of things that require less investment. They are of course fascinating animals although the they don't do much for me (apart from a lot of bitey stuff in the past!).

TNT, Andrew Swales and Fallax like this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

All the talk of penguins is well and good, but it is just taking away from the fact LC has had to close due to the lack of Govt. support, cash in the bank and cash flow to be able to reopen. The reality is that WWCT as a whole (including Newquay and Paignton Zoos) are struggling massively. Keep your eyes on the ball please!

5. FBBird

Where do you get the right to be quite so unpleasant?
    I happen to be heartbroken at the idea of Newquay closing, partly because I used to work there.
    If I want to make the odd light hearted comment about penguins I will do so, and I dare say you will continue to snipe at people.

6. FBBird

Little Pied Cormorants possibly, Guanay Cormorants maybe, Pygmy Cormorants could be, but I'd be surprised if any other Bank Cormorants have left South Africa in recent years.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Jun 2020
  7. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Mmmm.... personally I agree with you, although I've never had any direct experience with them - but I think we are in the minority?
    They are still 'on the list', but so far down it as to be irrelevant into the medium term. We have made some major investments over the past few years, and consolidation was always to be the next 'phase', even before it was forced on us. That's not to say there wont be any more nice arrivals, and the completion and conversion of existing jobs - but anything big is now off the cards, unless a big donor comes forward with ring-fenced funds for a specific project..

I agree that the tone was unpleasant, but the basis does have something behind it. Newquay has a long history, and has been turned around before. It and (it's town) are facing serious challenges now. I have never visited ( I did go to Bird Paradise and Padstow, which gives you a clue to the timing of my last visit to Cornwall), but reports from everyone who has been to Newquay have been glowing.
    In the few days and weeks that zoos have been open we are beginning to see a split - those close enough to population centres for short personal visits made by private car by a public with a pent-up desire to 'get out, somewhere, almost anywhere' - and those dependent on large numbers of in-bound seasonal holidaymakers, because they are situated in a 'tourist' area, or on an island.

Last edited: 21 Jun 2020
  8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Newquay is a really good little zoo nowadays, its come a long way from the earlier Council-run set-up to what they have now.. I really hope they can weather this storm but have to agree about the current apparent split between the locations that are reacheable for large numbers of cooped-up families presently, and those more reliant on a tourist season- whether there is going to be one this year may be the make or break for places like Newquay.

TriUK and TNT like this.
  9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting piece of local news about the future of the Living Coasts site. I did not know that the Wild Planet Trust had a 125 year lease, so they may be in a position to recoup some money eventually. Interest shown in Living Coasts site

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Also interesting that they have received interest that would keep it as an animal attraction and that the Council favours it continuing it its 'current or similar use' over being redeveloped.

11. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

I really hope whomever purchases Living Coasts,and keeps it as a zoo. I love Living Coasts.it’s definitely one of my favourite places. I will definitely try to be at its reopening if and when it happens. Zoo and Aquarium businesses, please take notice of how many tourists come to Devon exspecaly Torbay. In addition too this a lot of people that live in the South-West enjoy visiting Living Coasts!

I will sit back,relax and hope that someone purchases my favourite Aquarium/Sea Mammal attraction!

reading this article has given me hope that Living Coast’s has a chance of survival after all.

TriUK likes this.
  12. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Because the costs involved in redeveloping it into anything else would be astronomical I’d imagine!

Good news though. Sealife will probably be sniffing around the site no doubt but (crazy idea) could the site work for Longleat as an aquarium? It’s not unreasonable!

Last edited: 26 Jun 2020
  13. Maguari

Indeed. And, no doubt, the disruption in the local area would be as well, plus the planning challenge of a new construction right on the waterfront. Councils often would just prefer a quiet life, I suspect - someone like (say) SeaLife buying it would be by far the simplest from their side as so little would (externally) change.

14. The Hedgehog

If Sealife or any other chain of Aquarium do purchase Living Coast’s, which I hope they do,could some family rides or an Arcade be added? Additionally could some of the current resident animals be kept at Living Coast’s and reside within the new Living Coast’s be it owned by Sealife or any other Aquarium chain!

15. Maguari

Almost anything's possible at this stage, I'd say - it's a wait and see for now. If it were to change hands as a zoo I expect the animals would already be rehomed by the time it went through and the new owners would need to re-stock (sadly, probably not with quite such nerdy creatures!).

16. Jennings

Jennings Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think Merlin (Sealife's parent company) have got enough problems at the moment without buying another site. As well as the huge financial impact of having to close pretty much all there attractions (Worldwide) for the last few months, the group that owns Trafford Centre (Merlin lease a building within the shopping centre for Sealife Manchester and a Lego attraction) has just collapsed into administration today. If the shopping centre can't be sold as a going concern then Sealife Manchester will potentially have to close or be relocated.

I like the idea of Longleat taking it on but I can't imagine they'll be able to afford to do so at the moment. Plus they didn't have the best of luck with Penguins when they kept them in Wiltshire

18. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Glad to know my idea wasn’t so crazy!

In light of this, I propose the following ownership options, again I don’t know whether any are truly feasible:

Sealife
    Longleat
    WWT
    Nausicaa

19. The Hedgehog

Could one of us Zoochatters email or message the Wild Planet Trust? I'm thinking that that we could ask what Aquarium they are referring to when they say that they have received interest that would keep it as an animal attraction? In my opinion there is no harm in politely asking the question.

20. Maguari

They would tell you they can't give out any information - until a deal is done they're very unlikely to give any details publicly about exactly who is interested (as any company wouldn't).