Join our zoo community

Living Coasts (Closed) Living Coasts closed permanently

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jennings, 15 Jun 2020.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Trust couldn't answer because, as the article plainly states, this statement came from the Council.

ShonenJake13, Andrew Swales and Brum like this.
  2. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

I’ll slightly change my post. Could I contact Torbay City Council and ask them who is interested in purchasing Living Coast’s?

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No.

~Thylo

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The refusal to divulge such confidential information would be the same no matter who you contacted.

CGSwans likes this.
  5. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Yes - under the 'Freedom of Information Act' the Council is obliged to had over such information. How quickly they do so and how much of a fight you will have, is quite another matter. From what I can see, this site has had a wide range of very different uses over the years - which presumably means none of them has manged to make a 'go-of-it' long term..?
    If the Whitley Trust still owns 108 years of lease, that must be quite a valuable asset, subject to planning permission for any change of use.

TNT, Shirokuma and Cat-Man like this.
  6. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Clearly, they could do it. There is no guarantee that this will result in the information being provided, mind.

SHAVINGTONZOO, TNT and Shirokuma like this.
  7. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I very much regret I never visited Padstow -- silly of me, as I get the impression it was lovely. I know Paradise Park fairly well -- they do some wonderful stuff. Newquay has a seriously good bird section with an excellent breeding record, the only Hoffmann's Sloths in the UK (one of them home bred), long term breeding succes with Owston's Civets, breeding Grey Slender Loris, Black Wildebeest, and a little gem of a tropical house with lovely habitat displays and some great breeding successes including Black Tree Monitor.

gentle lemur and TriUK like this.
  8. Andrew Swales

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited once. I remember a wall fronting the road, I thought it was the main road out of Padstow, but nothing much else. I was in Padstow again recently and meant to go and try to find the site again but didn't get the chance.

10. Andrew Swales

Yes - it's address was certainly 'Fentonluna Lane' which fits with the sign on the listed wall as above, and I remember it being set in a walled garden, even if I don't recall anything else! This little road shows clearly on Google Maps panoramic/cursor system and there appears to be some amount of new housing behind the wall, presumably on its site. The sign shows its logo as a Scarlet Ibis, which I do recall, now my memory is jogged..

(maybe these last few posts could be moved to a 'Closed Zoos' - Padstow thread?)

11. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Re. Living Coasts - I took my girls along on their bikes today to say farewell to the Penguins, Incas & the Cormorants from the road above. It was sad. One of my girls is 10 & the other 5 years old. All the way home they were busy making plans for what they would do if we won the lottery. I didn’t say anything, I just listened....., “we could put a glass bubble roof on it like Eden Project and then they could make it mangrove jungle up & down daddy” ...”Daddy..., we could keep the net where the puffins are and have flying foxes like we saw in the Seychelles and we could join the seal and penguin pools together”. It went on an on, then later, their Grandad suggested moving the Pavillion (of Agatha Christie fame?) brick by brick and re-building it on Living Coasts site. Then before dinner it was drawings of ‘Penguin World’ and ‘Oz-land’ - with sketches of platypus, echidna, koala etc.... It was quite a day & went from being sad to one of fantasy sketching based on some magical lottery win!

12. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@TriUK what do you think the likelihood of Living Coast's being purchased by someone who will keep it open as an animal attraction is?

13. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Without being rude to @TriUK, I’m sure they know exactly the same as the rest of us do about the future of Living Coasts’ site, which is nothing.

TNT likes this.
  14. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Although as has been previously stated, the council’s preferred way forward is to keep it as an animal attraction. So we don’t know much but we know more than nothing:

“A spokesperson for Torbay Council said: “The partnership which runs Torbay Council is saddened with the demise of Living Coasts. We continue to work closely with the Wild Planet Trust that manages Paignton Zoo to ensure that their core offer of conservation work and local attraction has long term viability. The Trust has a 125 year lease on this site and we are currently in negotiations with them.

“Torbay Council has received a good number of expressions of interest in the Living Coasts site, from continuing its current use as a wildlife centre, using the restaurant as a stand-alone offer, to the complete redevelopment as the site. With the zoo, we plan to test the viability of expressions of interest so that it can continue its current or similar use. This is our preferred way forward and we will not actively be seeking a complete redevelopment of this site unless the preferred proposals are not possible.”

15. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If the UK FOI Act is anything like FOI in comparable countries such as Australia, commercial sensitivity is grounds to refuse the request.

Crowthorne and Brum like this.
  16. Andrew Swales

Technically, yes. But in practice the supply of services surrounding, and the administration of the FoIA has been 'farmed out' from the LAs to private companies, who are presumably on some kind of bonus system. Getting them to define what exactly 'commercial sensitivity' is, and acting on it would ultimately depend the persistence of the the company being 'investigated' and the dept of its pockets. Another area where the theoretical situation is very different from the practical one...

17. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hmm. It only took five minutes googling to find out that Torbay Council *does* have an information governance team, and the manager's name is Jo (surname omitted because it's not really the point). I suspect they probably know *just* enough about FoIA compliance to bat away Zoochat's collective interest in who is trying to buy Living Coasts.

Crowthorne and Jennings like this.
  18. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The African Penguin colony have all moved to Pairi Daiza. There are photos of them on Pairi's Facebook page in their new exhibit

Jungle Man, TNT and ThylacineAlive like this.
  19. ISOE2012

ISOE2012 Well-Known Member

The two male Bank Cormorants have moved to Birdworld in Surrey. They’ve posted on their Facebook page today.

Jungle Man, amur leopard, TNT and 4 others like this.
  20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It says there were 66 of them ! They have joined(?) or are adjacent to, the existing penguin display which is currently one of PD's more underwhelming ones, just a small corner of the lake shore really. But it does say 'for now they make their home' indicating there will be an upgrade in the pipeline. Maybe a move to the new 'Land of the Cold' exhibits ? (even if they are South African...)