Join our zoo community

Living Coasts (Closed) Living Coasts News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Trigger, 10 Mar 2008.

1. Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

Hoping to visit living coast in Torquay at the weekend, is it worth a trip?

2. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

yes its worth the trip if your down there its a good but small collection.
    does anybody know if the mangrove area is done/started yet?

3. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

Living coasts seem to do very well with their Macaroni Penguins. Any thoughts on why they should be so much more successful that twycross with this species?

4. Trigger

5. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

didnt the keeper move with the penguins from paigton? also i bet the fresh sea water helps

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

It was the keeper of the African Penguins that moved from Paignton with them,the Macaroni Penguins arrived a few years after opening not sure where they came from.

7. zoogiraffe

Yep its worth a trip but beware parking is can be a real pain,the main species to see would be the Bank Cormorant,Caspian Tern,Red-legged Kittiwake and the Tufted Puffins.

8. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I went about a year after they opened and I loved the auk aviary, and the waders aviary at the top of the site.

9. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

Went a few years back and it was quite nice really.

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I've been today for the first time and was impressed. From the outside it looks small but they've packed a lot into it. The Waders' Estuary was a real surprise. I'll go back but will wait for the redevelopment to be finished, and for a WARM day!

Last edited: 21 Mar 2008
  11. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

How many Bank cormorants do they have?

12. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. My companions weren't keen on loitering in the cold wind. I saw 3 on nests. Half a dozen?

13. zoogiraffe

They at present have 3 male Bank Cormorants,they are hoping to bring in 3 females in time for the breeding season,but the place in South Africa they were coming from had to deal with the aftermath of on oilslick and had about 500 Penguins to clean and save before they could get round to sorting the paper work on sending the rescued female Cormorants to Livingcoasts so all been well they will arrive sometime this year.The males have been building nests for the last 2 seasoms so they are certainly ready for some females to join them.

14. Trigger

Well I got there. Despite the foul weather it was a good trip. I am not as well up on things as you guys but did see Cormorants and they were nesting. The new section was not yet open but the rest of the place was nice. Staff were friendly and the place was lovely and clean. The only thing I didn't like was the size of the Fur seal enclosure. They had some amazing looking birds. I was quite taken with the Inca Terns and the sea ducks who were the most amazing color. Would visit again.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe the small size of the seal pool is due to the fact it was originally intended for sea otter.

16. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Noticed there weren't many photos of this fantastic little place in the Gallery so I've added some to my user gallery: Maguari Gallery - Photo Gallery

17. bongorob

I went on Saturday for the second time, and for the second time I got absolutely soaking wet. Still the staff are very friendly.

I managed to photograph the female Caspian Tern, which was the reason for my visit.

Living Coasts will get some female cormorants as soon as the rescue centre in Africa has any to spare. They have 2.0 at the moment.

The macaroni penguins are sitting on eggs, and the 6 young from 2007 are living in the walk through penguin area.

Several pairs of avocets have chicks and I think also the redshanks hatched a clutch sometime last week.

All the birds seemed to be in excellent condition, and despite the appaling weather I stayed for around 2 and a half hours.

The mangrove exhibit should open in July and will contain stingrays and dinosaur crabs, (whatever they may be). I'm sure they will have more than these two species though.

The seal pool was designed with sea otters in mind. I only saw 2 seals, surely they have more than just a pair.

Last edited: 19 May 2008
  18. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

bongorob, perhaps dinosaur crabs are horseshoe crabs?

19. bongorob

Yes, I think you are right.

20. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

ive heard that the seal pool is rather dismal and small according to my aunt and really sea otters, are there actually any sea otters in the u.k ?