Join our zoo community

Loveland Living Planet Aquarium Living Planet Aquarium News

Discussion in 'United States' started by Ituri, 18 Oct 2011.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to their website The Living Planet Aquarium in Sandy, UT will be opening a North American river otter exhibit in January, 2012.

The Living Planet Aquarium Home

2. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Where do you think they're going to put this river otter exhibit?

3. Ituri

Plans are moving forward to move the aquarium to a new larger, purpose-built facility.
    Draper OKs plan to help The Living Planet aquarium move | The Salt Lake Tribune
    Plans are to close the current facility in October of this year, and open the new aquarium in spring of next year.

Living Planet aquarium to double in size

4. Ituri

The Living Planet Aquarium opens new River Otter exhibit in the Discover Utah gallery.
    The Living Planet Aquarium Exhibiting Three New Animals and a Unique New Experience to enjoy Zoo and Aquarium Visitor News

5. chrisbarela

chrisbarela Well-Known Member

Our otters are a huge hit!

6. fkalltheway

I just posted some pictures of the graphics which were on display at the aquarium talking about what the new aquarium will look like. Some pretty cool stuff! Hopefully they get it all done in time for the opening in summer 2013.

7. chrisbarela

I'm working on it! If we do everything that is on the docket then our new aquarium should be a pretty impressive place.

8. chrisbarela

I just posted the actual concept art in the gallery. Mind you this is concept art so it is just rough ideas and themes, primarily to generate interest and excitement.

9. fkalltheway

10. chrisbarela

We got in Blacktip Reef as well as Grey Reef (AKA Blacktail Reef) which there is only one other aquarium in the US that has this species. Also we got a whitespot wedgefish and a giant shovelnose ray. We're pretty excited!
    In a few weeks we will be converting the stingray touchpool into a cold water touch pool with cortez rays, bat rays, urchins, seastars, sea cucumbers, etc.

11. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

12. chrisbarela

No, the aquarium will not be bought by Landry's, Sea Life or Ripley's... The aquarium is owned by the city of Draper and is nearly complete. It looks amazing and unique (if I do say so myself). There have been delays for all the reasons listed in the article above, but in my opinion, since I'm on the site every day and have been involved with it from conception, an aquarium ain't an easy thing to build! Each one is unique and the variables involved are enormous. There really are set backs (pipes that burst, tanks poured with imperfect concrete work, delays in materials, weather(!)) that block critical paths for days and sometimes weeks.
    I can tell you that the people working on it are trying to make the best aquarium that we can. It looks amazing and people are going to be blown away.

13. Gulo gulo

Ah, good to know. It looks ok from photos on their facebook. Like, a mix of Ripley's and Denver. The bridge looks fun. Shark tank has a tunnel. Penguin exhibit is small, but the reverse j-shape window is cool. Utah section looks to be the best part. Did they even put in a Orinoco Crocodile exhibit? I know they are interested in holding some according to CAG.

14. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I just uploaded 50 brand-new photos of the Loveland Living Planet Aquarium into the gallery, and I reviewed the facility while on my 20 day/65 zoo summer road trip.

15. chrisbarela

Snowleopard I am looking forward to reading your review. (Did you already post it here?)
    Fantastic photos. I'm especially excited since a lot of these were empty when I left the project in January. If anyone has any questions about how this aquarium was made I will be more than happy to detail the process- which may be of use to those who are designers or find themselves building for their own zoo or aquarium. Feel free to contact me in PM as well. It was a huge project and I was directly involved with nearly every step so I can give you a unique insight into how something like this gets made.

16. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,

is there already a Guidebook of the Aquarium available, or is it planned to publish one ?

17. chrisbarela

No not yet.

18. Gulo gulo

19. Beastking04

Beastking04 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Expedition Asia is now open!

I'm hoping to get some photos soon.

20. fkalltheway

I just posted photos in the gallery of the new Expedition: Asia exhibit.