Join our zoo community

Living with chimpanzees?

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by dawnaforsythe, 28 Apr 2012.

1. dawnaforsythe

dawnaforsythe Active Member

Every so often, kids hear about famous people buying chimpanzees, and decide they want one, too. The Kardashians were photographed with a pet chimp, and that Louis kid in One Direction said he wanted one "just like Michael Jackson had." (Guess he doesn't know that even MJ couldn't keep up with Bubbles, who was retired to Center for Great Apes - without any support from the Jackson family, BTW!)

Anyway, if anyone needs a lesson on what chimpanzee ownership really entails, Roberta Herman is beginning to tell her story on Chimp Trainer's Daughter. Living with chimpanzees

2. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having a chimp for a pet could be one of the worst ideas someone can have. Before we even get into the matter of the danger factor, most chimps in captivity live a long time, and sometimes outlive their owners. When the owner dies, who takes care of the chimp? In addition, just like your article mentioned, it costs tons of money to take care of chimps, and you'll lose part of your social life.
    Plus, chimps are among the most dangerous animals there are. They're smart, powerful, and once they're "pets", they lose their fear of humans. With their teeth, arms, brains, and no fear, they can easily kill you. My own state of Connecticut had one of the most brutal chimp attacks of the twenty-first century, and made the victim Charla Nash lose her eyes, hands, and a good deal of her face. Thankfully after this horrible incident, Nash underwent a face transplant, and this attack let the U.S. House of Reps approve a ban on primates as pets.

3. dawnaforsythe

dawnaforsythe Active Member

I agree with everything - except this statement. In fact, the U.S. House has taken no such action. For the 5th year in a row, the Great Ape Protection Act has been introduced in the Congress, and a vote has never been taken.

This is a good time to remind people to contact their legislators and urge them to support Senate Bill 810 and House Resolution 1513.

4. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry, I thought I read that somewhere. Still, I hope that bill will be passed one day for the good of every primate, from humans to chimps.

5. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

This is not about chimpanzees but the video below shows Koko the gorilla who live with researchers. (I do not agree with this) She is the only gorilla alive that knows sign language. I am posting this to show that some people live with great apes.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017