Join our zoo community

L`Oceanogràfic Valencia L'Oceanografic Valencia News

Discussion in 'Spain' started by vogelcommando, 11 Jul 2020.

1. Randomname0183

Randomname0183 Well-Known Member

Frankly there’s a few possible outcomes:
    Outcome 1: Oceanografic imports new animals (maybe from the US or Canada, with a smaller chance of them sourcing them from Japan)
    Outcome 2: Oceanografic turns to AI and gradually creates a large group
    Outcome 3: Oceanografic haphazardly turns to inbreeding (this could be accidentally as well)
    Outcome 4: Oceanografic decides to phase out belugas

As for the facility holding them, it isn’t the most pretty or large, but it’d be potentially a pain to expand due to the layout of the facility and design of the building, but not impossible either (Oceanografic currently is part of the VanAqua organisation, so perhaps they cou.d figure out something)

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. aramacao

aramacao Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My opinion is that the structure of this exhibit is very poor: there is a lot of space for the visitor, but very limited for the animals. And the situation of belugas not being able to see the sky never seems horrible to me.

3. Randomname0183

It’s a running trend in Valencia’s Zoos and Aquaria from what I’ve heard (multiple reviews say similar things about Bioparc Valencia). An open air exhibit would be great for the Belugas akin to the one at Mystic or Vancouver, I Agree, but it’d be at the cost of a lot of demolitions.

4. aramacao

It's true that in Bioparc a lot of importance is given to aesthetics, but in general the facilities are, at least, acceptable (except, in my opinion, that of the chimpanzees, forced to lie on the ground, with almost no climbing options). . On the other hand, at L'Oceanogràfic the facilities of, at least, the Arctic complex, are horrible: little light (no natural light), small, without options to see the sky... The walruses took them because they didnt fit . And the belugas in my opinion live in very improvable conditions.

5. Randomname0183

I think you’re confused with the gorillas, the chimps definitely have a climbing frame. While I’ve seen the bioparc exhibits and see their problem you are right they could be better.

6. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd imagine they'd turn to import first; animals from the US could be sourced or even from China and Japan, where the species is doing well breeding wise. I doubt they'll source some directly from the wild in Russia. AI would be a secondary option if imports cannot be sourced, although they'd eventually have to consider it down the line.

I highly doubt they'll phase their Belugas out. The enclosures also decently sized, although I agree, an expansion would be obviously better than the current enclosure right now.

7. Jambo

The chimps have access to two or three tree trunk style climbing utilities to climb on; still not enough imo. The gorillas also have decent climbing access to some smaller tree trunk utilities too, and are not a species that prefers to climb a lot too.

8. aramacao

No, I'm not confused. Chimpanzees are animals that climb much more frequently than gorillas and in their installation they only have two or three trunks that are more for decoration than for any other reason. They have no ropes, no vines, no branches... The animals are forced to stay on a grassy esplanade that looks like a golf course.

Anyway, I think we should talk about Bioparc in the Bioparcs' thread.

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  9. Randomname0183

My bad, a quick review of some old photos and a check in the gallery for bioparc here indicate indeed that the chimps have a pretty substandard climbing frame.

Anyhow, steering the thread back on topic, now that Kairo has passed could this be the moment when Oceanografic’s whales in Canada (or possibly from some other facility) could finally be imported?

aramacao likes this.
  10. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If they asked me, I'd either:
    a) Renovate the entire building to make their welfare better than what already is and maybe import other individuals.
    b) Phase out belugas and make a cool-looking penguinarium, Loro Parque style.

11. Jambo

I can see an import happening from overseas, especially as a male is needed. I doubt they'll source wild individuals though, it'll most likely be surplus individuals from the US or Canada.

There's been no plans for renovations as far as i'm aware, so I doubt this will happen anytime soon. Antarctic Penguins could actually suit the enclosure nicely, but Oceanografic does not have plans to phase out Belugas.

12. Randomname0183

A big penguinarium would be an amazing and a sight to behold for me. If they could somehow import Macaroni, Chinstrap, Adelie and maybe even emperor Penguins from overseas or from Spain it’d be a big highlight for me in future trips. If they decided to phase out belugas, maybe find some pinniped species to keep in their place (something like ringed seals or maybe northern fur seals would be another great addition to the aquarium.) I agree on the fact that the Polar dome needs to be renovated, so maybe these could be alternatives in the far future?

13. SivatheriumGuy

I definitely agree with your ideas. I've always felt like a proper penguin house is one of the biggest misses at the Oce yet, and I feel like it would be a vast improvement on the park's side. Getting ringed seals would be amazing too, but I don't know how probable this could be.

14. Randomname0183

Rescues would be the go-to on that front, or captures if they can take the criticism. They could also ask for the US pinniped research centre to maybe loan them some (Seaworld has some ringed seals they got from there).

15. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just a little problem... The facility is "Artic" so, penguins aren't the most indicated animals. ;)

16. SivatheriumGuy

I mean, once you renovate the entire building changing the name of the pavillion is the least of the problems. :p

17. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ok, but... then what are they do with the "Antarctic" exhibit and with the penguins? :D

18. SivatheriumGuy

Birth news:
    A "litter" (how do you call a litter of sharks?) of 15 Sandbar sharks (Carcharhinus plumbeus) has been born at the Oceanografic! This is the biggest amount of offspring given at any European zoological institution when it comes to this species. The mom of the litter is Alice, an animal that had a litter of eight individuals back in 2020, being the only female at the park who has bred more than once. Taking under account that the sandbar shark is an endangered species, these are great news to have.

Nace la camada de tiburones grises más numerosa del Oceanogràfic - Oceanogràfic de València %
    Una-de-las-crias-es-examinada-por-sus-cuidadores-1200x675.jpg

19. Randomname0183

Quick question how many sandbars do they keep?

20. SivatheriumGuy

I couldn't find any info on the topic, sorry :(

Randomname0183 likes this.