Join our zoo community

Locked in at the Safari Park - Story

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by karoocheetah, 19 Oct 2010.

1. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

just a litte story for you all - on Sunday I was locked in the Safari Drive at Knowsley - it was about 5pm and I knew that I was one of the last as I was engrossed watching the baboons destroying cars and hence late finishing the drive around - so when I got to the last gate that they lock I was surprised to find the keeper just locking it and walking off as I pipped my horn and flashed my lights! - to no avail obviously - she drove off leaving a very substantial gate between me and my route home :confused:
    anyway - I drove back around to the entrance only to find that locked too - oh bum (or words to that effect) so I obviously had several options at my disposal:

1) Sleep in the car surrounded by curious hoofed stock and hope that I really didn't need the loo before morning
    2) Lock the car and climb the gate and walk out
    3) Ring the Office and hope that someone was still there

I opted for option 3 - luckily someone WAS answering and they said they'd send a keeper back out to unlock the gates and free me (woo hoo).
    So I drove back to the locked gate (remember I was still by the lions gate at this point) - by way of the keepers road that they use to access the feed bays - how naughty I felt! and waited for only about 5 to 10 mins before being released back into the wilds :D

I'll admit that I was secretly disappointed that I didn't have to spend the night in with the Nilgai, Pere Davids and Eland - but my bed was much warmer than the car would have been!
    So over to you - any other "Locked In Stories" out there??

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010
  2. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Many years ago I was locked in Bristol zoo, together with rather heavy backpack. I tried to climb the gate, but no chance with the backback. Then I tried to ask somebody outside the gate to help, but he just mumbled something unintelligible, pointed something with the hand and walked off.

After some minutes I realized, that there is a small non-descript door in the wall elsewhere, completely unlocked, so I could just went out.

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

We were briefly locked in Bioparco Rome last year - had to bang on the gift shop door to be let out. It was weird - the zoo went very quickly from seeming to be all-systems-go to completely deserted.

4. karoocheetah

yeah that's weird - see I remember the keepers vehicle going past me on it's sweep of the park so I'm assuming that my car has a cloak of invisibility that meant they just didn't see me <wink>

I get so engrossed watching the wildlife and it's behaviour and interaction I do tend to take longer than the advised 1 hour to do the route but even so it was only just gone 5pm and the last safari park tour was 4pm so that's a pretty sharpish 'shut up shop' in my book! Anyway no one was hurt and it did make me giggle when the lady who answered the phone told me not to panic to which I replied "I'm not panicing I just havn't decided exactly where to spend the night...Baboons or Antelopes!" she went a wee bit quiet until she realised I was jesting with her!!

Last edited: 20 Oct 2010
  5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Getting locked inside Zoos and Safari Parks- here's a novel subject for Zoochat!

I guess checking all vehicles have left the reserves is such a routine thing and because it is done everyday, security can slip once in a while, such as Karoocheetah's experience at Knowlsey, probably with red faces as a result...

Some zoos have loudspeakers announcing closing time. London used to have an announcement coupled with a recording of a horrible jangling gong/bell that was played at intervals prior to closing. The noise alone was enough to make you want to leave, perhaps deliberate.. I wonder if they still have it?

6. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

There's defintely an announcement but I haven't noticed the bell. I'm paranoid about getting locked in places so I always leave at the first announcement!

7. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Marwell always have someone who drives round the park telling vistors to head to the entrance for closing, which I guess is an efficient way of getting around the problem of having such a big place to get lost in. As for getting locked in I don't really have any stories, but the closest was getting shut on the other side of the gangway as they moved the giraffes across the visitor path from their paddock to the house at Marwell once. ;)

8. Pertinax

They've probably dropped it then. You would certainly notice it if you heard it. 'The zoo is closing now' GulongGulongGulongGulongGulongGulongGulongGulongGulongGulong.

9. Pertinax

Don't Marwell have one of those oneway turnstile things which you exit through? I think London have (or used to have) that too- so any late stayer could presumably still get out unaided.

10. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Not anymore, but the gate where you just press the button to open is still, so I guess that prevents any prisoners. ;)

11. Panthera Puss

Panthera Puss Well-Known Member

I once got locked out in the morning of where I was supposed to be working at a zoo, but that's another story I guess :eek:.

12. karoocheetah

hell yeah, how hard did you fight to get into work then :p

13. Panthera Puss

Panthera Puss Well-Known Member

Well, I was all for giving up, but bolt cutters were sourced to let me into this particular building. Turned out the key was waiting where it was supposed to be all along. Not my fault, honest guv :p