Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ShonenJake13, 31 Dec 2016.

1. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@pipaluk: the annual spate of useless new threads is irritating, particularly when the "news" that a new thread has been created is posted in the old one as well.

However, I think I've now wasted more time reading the many churlish responses to this innocuous trend than the trend itself. Of course, I've now added to the barrage of unnecessary posts, but I really think you and others are contributing to the problem rather than eradicating it. This is especially true given that many "offenders" weren't around this time last year. Doesn't that suggest next year's culprits won't be around to read the present warnings?

Yes, it's a bit annoying, but only for a few days each year. And the irritation lasts perhaps 5 seconds per thread; 5 minutes total when you realize what to expect. It's notable that the US forums have been much better reading over the past few days, despite numerous useless threads being started. The reason is that only the UK contingent have begun this perpetuating, rather nasty, witch-hunt. As you indicated, though, each to their own.

Zia likes this.
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Yep; that was my problem with this example.

To give a hypothetical example of why I think posting speculation without stating this is the case, and therefore potentially causing the post to be taken as fact, can cause problems; if/when another young elephant in a UK collection dies, many Zoochatters would doubtless suspect that this happened as a result of EEHV, and many might even post speculation to that effect. However, if someone outright stated that this was the case prior to official confirmation, and individuals reading the site but not posting then used this as ammunition against the zoo in question, then this would reflect poorly on Zoochat whether or not the speculation was correct in the first place.

Oh, I have posted suspicions to this effect myself :)

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. simon lloyd

simon lloyd Well-Known Member

not sure if relevant , but some hunting dogs will be moving from london to whipsnade with some lions going the other way

5. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

7. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

New in the Reptile House is the Lake Patzcuaro salamander, the critically endangered cousin of the axolotl. These were formerly housed offshow but have been moved onshow into the former mudskipper enclosure, which has been made fully aquatic.
    In other news, after asking a reptile keeper it appears that the arboreal alligator lizards may well go onshow soon :)

Zia, 14027 and Swampy like this.
  8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

9. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can someone tell me if ALL the bird walkthroughs are no open or still part closed thank you in advance.

10. Evo

Evo Active Member

I don't know how that would work because the lions are (supposedly) african and the london lions are asiastic.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

BTW: the much exhibitted axolotl itself is now - alas .... - a pretty endangered taxon. IUCN has it currently listed as Status: Critically Endangered B2ab(iii,v) ver 3.1. So, there .. stop and act!

Did not recognise the wild dog area really. Has it seen a bit of a horticultural / landscaping update recently. Well, forgive my English ... I have not visited since 2014! Still one wonders! Thanx beforehand!!

12. SuperBen

SuperBen Member

There are 2 Asiatic Lions in who have recently arrived from India who are in quarantine at Whipsnade, they will then be transferred to London once quarantine period is over.

13. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe that two pairs were to be obtained by London from India!

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Only one pair actually arrived.

How long does the statutory quarantine for felids from outside Balai nations last for the UK?

15. 14027

14027 Active Member

16. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

Yes, today all were closed: the Blackburn, the African aviary, the one at the gorilla entrance; the parrots are offshow... I assume the Snowdon too though I didn't go over there today. No birds in the rainforest, or in three-island pond. But the penguins are still swimming about!

17. AdrianW1963

many thanks

18. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Walk through aviaries likely to be closed till the end of Feb as a minimum as that is the current ruling by DEFRA to keep poultry indoors.

With new cases of bird Flu being confirmed weekly it seems, that may get extended again.

19. AdrianW1963

Wonder how long it will be before ALL zoological collections and Bird Parks are asked to close to the public altogether.

20. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Won't happen due to the way its passed on....the current bio security measures for the public are fine, and you can only do so much to protect from wild birds.