Join our zoo community

London Zoo giant tortoises; ZSL Library & Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Tim May, 5 Jun 2020.

1. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The most recent episode of the TV programme Monkman & Seagull's Genius Adventures was broadcast on Monday 1st June on BBC2.

It includes film of the Zoological Society's Library (where the presenters look at the first edition of Darwin's Origin of Species) and film of giant tortoises in London Zoo.

The same episode also features the statues of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals at Crystal Palace.

It can currently be viewed on-line on the BBC iPlayer

Last edited: 5 Jun 2020
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the tip Tim.

Did some of these giant tortoise originate from De Rothschild's efforts to acquire them turn last century?

3. Tim May

I don't think any of Lord Rothschild's giant tortoises are still living at the zoo.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, I am sure on that.

I meant those imported at the time Lord Rothschild had his stock collected. Did any of those end up at London Zoo at all?

5. Tim May

Apologies, I misunderstood your question.
    Given the great age giant tortoises can reach it wouldn't have been impossible (although obviously highly unlikely) that some of Rothschild's specimens were still living at the zoo.

Yes some of Rothschild's giant tortoises did end up at London Zoo and Rothschild donated money towards the construction of London Zoo's Tortoise House of 1897 (which was later converted into the Hummingbird House that many ZooChat members will recall). And the well known photograph of Lord Rothschild riding on a giant tortoise, sold as a postcard at the Tring Zoological Museum, was taken at London Zoo.

Some of Rothschild's giant tortoises went to Belle Vue Zoo (Manchester) too.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2020
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.