Join our zoo community

London Zoo giraffes - 1836 breeding group

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by oflory, 19 Mar 2013.

1. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I am a cataloguer at the British Museum and am currently cataloguing prints by George Cruikshank.

I have come across a print of the breeding group of giraffes that ZSL acquired in 1836 (or possibly 1836). I was wondering if anyone here knew any further details such as where in Africa they came from, the names of their Eastern keepers e.t.c. In the etching, they seem to be housed in a temporary thatched giraffe house, presumably because the Burton house hadn't been finished!

Any help is much appreciated!

P.s.. Here is a copy of the print: Google Image Result for http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/3166932-25th-june-1836-giraffes-granny-dears-and-other-gettyimages.jpg%3Fv%3D1%26c%3DIWSAsset%26k%3D2%26d%3DKonzDt05cS33Eft9rL4KshAuGC93OqGrVInS4eyvZULKOMlxjA0%252FWeQ4rj0n3WBl

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

These giraffes, three males and a female, arrived in London on 24th May 1836; they were brought to the zoo by a M. Thibaut who had obtained them in Kordofan (in Sudan).

These animals were the founding stock of a successful group of giraffes and descendants of these giraffes survived in the zoo until 1881.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

more info here: http://www.transcollectorsclub.org/bulletin_previews/articles/06summer_giraffomania.pdf

selected quote:
    The giraffes names were Zaida, Mabrouk, Selim, and Guib. The names of "their three native attendants" were not noted.

4. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Many thanks to both of you! Just the information I needed! :)