Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Panthera1981, 12 Jan 2018.

1. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have a theory (I have plenty of zoo theories ;) ) that in this age of near-universal car usage people want to travel "out" to an attraction (be it a zoo or other such attraction) rather than "in" ... Hence the success of Chester and (in the past) Twycross and the failure or difficulties of Belle Vue, Dudley and ... Regent's Park.

Appreciate London is something of a special case but they must be mighty grateful for their overseas visitors ...

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. Balalaika

Balalaika New Member

[​IMG] Does anyone know why the Casson is closed? I’m hoping this isn’t permanent, it’s been like this since my visit in August. I went back yesterday and the Mappins looked pretty barren as well, the zoo was in quite a sorry state with closed/empty exhibits everywhere.

3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

As has been discussed frequently, this is a major problem at London: it is possible to visit (and it’s not inexpensive to do so!) and to feel as if you’re visiting a place that time has forgotten. A number of years ago, a manager at Spain’s Fuengirola Zoo told me that they always remembered that on any given day, any visitor could be coming to the zoo for the first time, so it always had to look immaculate. One might quibble about the size of some of the Fuengirola enclosures, but, as a place to visit, it is a delight. London? Not so much. A whole shift in attitude is required, I think. At the moment, there seems to be indifference towards, or contempt for, the visiting public.

SHAVINGTONZOO, monster, TriUK and 3 others like this.
  4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think this photo rather sums up ZSL at present...

TriUK, Balalaika, NigeW and 2 others like this.
  5. Regent

Regent Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sadly, I believe that the Casson House needs extensive building work to ensure that animals and visitors are in a safe environment. London Zoo is facing some difficult issues at the moment but hopefully there is a strategy in place which will restore the zoo as a major attraction

6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was so excited when I went to London Zoo in 09' because I got to see where history happened! I got to see where Jumbo used to be as well as well as Jackson the Sumatran Rhino and all the other famous individuals that called this zoo home.

kiang and Tim May like this.