Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo london zoo visit

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BillyT, 21 Oct 2010.

Tags:
  1. BillyT

BillyT Well-Known Member

hi all
    im off to london zoo next week hopefully, and would be happy to look out off,ask about or take photos of anything.
    let me know if you have any requests :)

2. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to have some photos of the Casson Building please, mainly the indoor area? I realise there are already some on Zoochat, but I am not aware of many photos of the indoor area...

3. BillyT

BillyT Well-Known Member

yes i sure can, after just googling it i just found out they keep birds in there and show conservation projects which i didnt know about! ive always walked past it as the animals have always been outside on display and i just thought it was there indoor enclosures or it has been closed. the report is a few years old, do they still do this does anyone know?

4. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

The interior of the Casson is looking rather sad at the moment. It needs some maintenance but obviously there are more important projects using available funds for the time being. Apart from the camels and bearded pigs, it houses the pygmy hippos' warm winter pool (they're in there now); some of the Animals in Action "stars", including the burrowing owl (I think he's called Bob!), the skunk and the five ferrets that are also exercised by the volunteers... that's about it I think, apart from it being a temporary home for the odd animal while it's being rehoused – things like a couple of baby meerkats who needed to be kept separate while they grew up. There is usually a small educational display but nothing ground-breaking... it's all rather dark and discouraging which is such a shame as it's a fascinating piece of architecture – just difficult to keep up!

Have a fantastic time, BillyT. I think I remember you ran out of time last visit, so I hope you get to see everything next week!

5. BillyT

BillyT Well-Known Member

thanks for the info volvox, very helpfull.
    i was told they have a new big owl that come in about 2 weeks ago, know anything of this??

6. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

Now let me think. I have seen a new owl somewhere. I remember looking into its lovely big eyes and chatting to it last week! I think it's in the enclosure at the very top end of the children's zoo ("Animal Adventure"), on the corner of what I call the farmyard where the (new) chickens and rabbits are. Next to where the donkeys are, opposite the southern end of the camels! Hope you can find it from that! If not, ask a keeper, as I'm sure you know.

7. BillyT

BillyT Well-Known Member

you mean where the african grey falcon use to be, the vicious one that would try to attack me and would of done if the cage wasnt there!!:eek:

8. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

Yes, that's it, they usually keep a big fierce bird in there!

Have a brilliant time, hope the weather is kind to you.

9. BillyT

BillyT Well-Known Member

thanks volvox, ok last chance for requests people, im going tomorrow morning.:)

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any update on the Gorilla situation. e.g. which Gorillas you see and whether they were together, seperate etc. Any sign of a baby..;)

11. procyonlotor

procyonlotor Well-Known Member

I'm at London Zoo this Friday visiting keeper friends. I'll have a sniff around and see what I can find out in regards to Jookie... maybe I'll get a peek the lion cubs, although I've a feeling that no one outside of mammals south get to see.

12. BillyT

BillyT Well-Known Member

mjukuu is about to give birth anyday now:):) infact shes over due

13. BillyT

BillyT Well-Known Member

dont think there is any cubs:(

14. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Hope to be visiting on the 29th November could someone help me out and P/M a list a species actually on show at this time of year.

could someone tell me what would be the best species to see this time of yearand where they are in the zoo many thanks in advance
    Adrian

15. socialjustice

socialjustice Active Member

Inventory List & Tube Strike

Adrian1963, you do realise that the union serving London Underground will be starting a 24 hour STRIKE during the late evening of 28th November and running totally on the 29th November (the day of your planned visit) with normal services not returning until the 30th November.
    The Northern Line was seriously effected with Camden Town Tube Station closed.

Mainline Stations are not effected and I assume that you are travelling from the Midlands. So, it might be best to walk from Euston Station through Regent's Park.
    If you are driving, GOOD LUCK with the traffic.

Tube Strike: Underground is ‘crippled’ by walkout | Metro.co.uk

Here's a list of everything, I shall leave someone else to tick what is there to see.

http://static.zsl.org/files/zsl-london-zoo-animal-inventory-2009-1040.pdf

Closing time changed from last Sunday's 5.30pm to 4pm this week.

I noticed that the lone single male Red Panda is more active during daytime hours than during the summer daytime. Location is outside Clore Rainforest opposite Meerkats and Ringed-Tailed Lemurs.

16. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Yes will be travelling from the Midlands on Chilton Railways and getting off at Marylebone or something like that (getting tired now been up since 2am)
    Many thanks for your information on the underground was planning on using the underground but no longer

17. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

You should get the 274 bus, it's easier than the underground anyway and stops near the zoo. It goes from Gloucester Place, 3 minutes walk from Marylebone Station and stops on Albert Road 3 minutes from the zoo entrance, should take 20-30 minutes I guess depending on traffic.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2010
  18. socialjustice

socialjustice Active Member

Chiltern Railways trains go into Marylebone Station, a beautiful station.

Shirokuma is correct on the Bus Route 274 Advice.

However, on Strike Day buses will be busier than normal. However, if you are not heavily laden with luggage or whatever. I would recommend the 1.2 miles walk (which should take around 16-20 minutes) on any day (apart from high wind and heavy rain).

Marylebone station to Outer Circle - Google Maps

IF YOU HAVE TIME, a longer walk through "Queen Mary's Garden" and up "The Broad Walk" would be my recommendation.

Here's a nice map of Regent's Park

http://www.royalparks.org.uk/docs/park_maps/RegentsPark_English_Map.pdf

If you are a Friend of ZSL then you will be able to use this voucher for a hot drink when purchasing with a cake.

https://static.zsl.org/files/members-winter-warmer-voucher-1259.pdf

19. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you decide to walk from Marylebone, enter the park by the mosque. I missed the park gate the first time and walked all the way around the perimiter of the park, adding about 15 minutes to my journey.

Leaving the station I turned left into Boston Place and followed the road round to Park Road, crossed over and found the gate to the park.

20. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

That's true, it's a nice walk and will take no longer than the time you would need for the bus, probably less actually if you think about waiting time.

I would enter the park at the bottom at Clarence Gate which is marked on the pdf map posted above. There are lots of interesting birds in the park too.