Join our zoo community

United Kingdom Long shot, Rosie rhino london zoo 1988

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by Kat86, 19 Feb 2020.

1. Kat86

Kat86 New Member

This seems like a great place to ask some questions for our home Ed project on black rhino's. We've recently visited Rosie who's now at port lympne and her outgoing character and her keepers tales sparked our next project. We're seeking any information any one has on Rosie to add in.

So far we know she was born 24th November 1988 at London zoo, and her mum was named Stumpy
    She moved to Chester in 2000, then to port lympne in 2011. We know she was hand reared due to her size at birth (17kg) and was the world's first successful hand reared black rhino. And the research that went into saving her using artificial milk goes on saving black rhino's today.

It's a long shot I know but if anyone happens to know anything else about her history we can use that would be great!

Kifaru Bwana and amur leopard like this.
  2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember seeing her @ London Zoo when she was 'little'. Good to know she's still about.

Kat86 likes this.
  3. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

You seeem to have most of the salient information about "Rosie".

As you mention, she was born at London Zoo on 24th November 1988.

Her mother was "Mama Kidogo" (also known as "Stumpy") and her father was "Bwana Mkubwa" (also known as "Fred").

According to the studbook, the exact date of her transfer to Chester was 10th August 2000 and to Port Lympne 13th June 2011.

4. Kat86

Kat86 New Member

Amazing!! Thank you! We hadn't found anything out about dad so this is useful, we have another name to look into a little and can start to place her family tree.

5. Teddyjennifluff

Teddyjennifluff New Member

I visited London zoo very early one morning, just to see Rosie. I was lucky enough to see her out with her keeper for her morning walk around the zoo. She just trotted along beside her keeper like a little dog. Sometimes the keeper would run and she would chase him, he'd then stop and she would too. So adorable. Visitors were told to keep their distance, but we were able to take photos , which I still have. After their walk they went to her house and the keeper and Rosie had a cuddle in the straw. I loved rhinos even more after that day. I had no idea that she was walked outside in this way, it was so exciting to see, and a lovely surprise

Brum and Tim May like this.
  6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe she was their last calf together and the only one born to this pair at London, after several (five?) previous births at Whipsnade.

7. Pertinax

Perhaps stemming from her handraised background, Rosie was highly nervous of other rhinos, would not accept males at Chester and so was never mated there. She was later sent to Port Lympne in the hope the different regime there (larger paddocks/different males) might help but sadly (afaik) she hasn't ever bred there either.

8. Pertinax

Bwana Mkubwa(Big Master) and Mama were originally Whipsnade's black rhino pair. Bwana also fathered calves at London latterly after their male of the own pair (Paul and June) died. He moved between the two zoos several times as a result. I believe both of them moved to Port Lympne eventually.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, they did for the latter years of their lifetime.

Pertinax likes this.