Join our zoo community

Long-term effects of COVID-19 economic downturn on zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Zooplantman, 12 Apr 2020.

Tags:
  1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Luckily it looks like this lockdown shouldn't last too much longer in many US states -maybe another month or so, maybe not even that - I expect a huge boom in zoo visitors after that.

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

There may be a difference between what politicians declare and what zoo staff decide on opening.
    Well here in the USA we'll have our first experiment this weekend in Georgia. Will any zoos really open? (The North Georgia zoo says they are open by reservation only)

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not necessarily saying this is a good choice at all - only that zoos will benefit, which itself is a good thing in many ways.

However, I do think that at least some states can, handle at least a partial reopening in the coming few weeks.

4. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

I dont agree - the public is terrified. Government campaigns and adverts have continually battered people with the message that if they leave their house they will die. It is very likely that recovery, visitor numbers and confidence will be very slow to return.

5. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here's a nice article that focuses on Denver Zoo, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Pueblo Zoo, and the Wild Animal Sanctuary. An interesting tidbit is that just by reading the article, it seems that Pueblo Zoo which is a very small AZA zoo hasn't needed to lay off or furlough any of their staff during the crisis while Denver which is much larger and considered one of the best zoos in the country has furloughed or laid off 25% of their staff. Goes to show how every zoo's situation is a little different.

Denver Zoo faces “unthinkable” reality of no visitors, dwindling cash and 3,000 animals to feed

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

7. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Slovak goverment decided that tourist attractions (including zoos), hotels and restaurants can open tommorow. This came earlier than planned so I think it might take few more days till all zoos in Slovakia really open.

In Czechia, while zoos are open now, visitors are still vary. Prague reported last week figures and they are only on 1/3 of average attendance.

birdsandbats and Zorro like this.
  8. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Thank you for the interesting news, Jana. Here in England for the two weeks prior to lock-down, our numbers were also around one third.

But we still have TV adverts showing people must stay in their houses and only peer out through the windows, plus cumulative fines of up to UK£2000 or more for driving your car on 'unnecessary' journeys.

9. Zooplantman

I believe that the greatest mid- to long-term effect of the pandemic on zoos/aquariums is that there will be an serious look by Boards at finances and funding. Even the briefest lack of visitors has caused existential crises in zoos large and small. Obviously not a sustainable approach to funding.

10. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Museums are now reopening in Italy. Florence Cathedral, in addition to limiting visitor numbers, are using proximity-alert devices to aid in social distancing. Seems like an interesting way to help in reopening visitor attractions, particularly those with extensive enclosed areas.

Museums News - Italy’s museums reopen with vibrating... | Facebook

11. Zooplantman

nczoofan likes this.
  12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Most sectors of the economy are suffering around the world. The problem with zoos and aquariums, to state the obvious, is that they still have live animals to care for even when the gates are closed (unlike a store that can just lock the doors and leave stock on the shelves). So far in USA (and maybe other countries) only a few zoos have closed but I don't know how long they can last without visitor income. And how many zoos that remain open can take in those from closed zoos? Will there come a point when culling is a necessity? I know this is already an accepted practice in some countries but in America it is not.

13. Sneeuwpanter

Sneeuwpanter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Dutch Zoo association is asking the government for a 110 million euro. The expected loss of income throughout the year is a 140 million euro (not countig a second period of closing down). Only 3 out of 67 official zoos are not in immediate financial troubles.

14. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think zoos need to get creative on how to handle this. Here is one example that I just received via email from Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. Small groups can pay to hire a keeper and one of a select group of ambassador animals (or even a cactus) to do a Zoom session with them.

Jungle Man likes this.