Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Gorillas

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by The Hedgehog, 24 Aug 2022.

1. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

{Note from mods - this thread split from here: Longleat Safari Park News 2022 [Longleat Safari & Adventure Park]}

@Keelan I wonder where Evindi has gone. I hope he’s moved to become a Breeding Silverback. None of Harry’s (Evindi’s Dads) children have had offspring.

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Aug 2022
  2. Keelan

Keelan Well-Known Member

That would be good then the gorilla's all seemed settled and happy

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

More likely Evindi is still there but seperated due to fighting perhaps.

Harry was a son of Matz in Frankfurt, one of the most heavily represented males in Europe. So breeding from Harry's sons is not important.

4. Keelan

Keelan Well-Known Member

The tour guides on the cruise said that they only have the 4 gorillas

Rajang-GOAT and Pertinax like this.
  5. Pertinax

In which case a death may be more likely than a move perhaps? Usually it quickly becomes obvious from zoo/gorilla news-related websites if a gorilla changes location and I've heard nothing about Longleat recently.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2022
    Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  6. The Hedgehog

@Keelan which Gorilla was missing? Do you know it was Evindi,or are you assuming due to the problems featured on Animal Park

7. Keelan

Keelan Well-Known Member

I'm not assuming anything here. The tour guide specifically said that the gorilla's that were there were called Kesho, Alfie, Suvedi and Yuba. Evindi was never mentioned. If they hadn't have mentioned names I would vever of assumed that it was Evindi just because of animal park because anything can happen in animal care.

8. Pertinax

It is also possible they say they have 4 gorillas because there are now only the named 4 on show. So Evindi could either be offshow, or he could have died, or been moved, though I think the last is the least likely.

9. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Evindi was highlighted today on Animal Park, most notably that he’d significantly bulked out and was now challenging Kesho. Obviously these episodes were likely filmed a few months ago (April was mentioned in one episode) so anything could have happened between then and now.

10. The Hedgehog

@Pertinax we are singing from the same hym sheet. Because Evindi wasn’t mentioned it doesn’t mean he’s passed away. I think it’s more than likely that he’s being held in the enclosure at the rear. This happened with Boulas a Gorilla that Longleat had when the enclosure first opened. It wouldn’t be a bad situation if Evindi has left. Europe urgently needs new Breeding Silverbacks.A lot of the current ones have been retired from the breeding programe,due to over repression. If Evindi has left I think he’s gone to London Zoo,Prague Zoo or Chessington World Of Adventures. The first mentioned Zoo has needed a Silverback for 6/7 years. The latter two have paused breeding due to being over represented. I listed London Zoo as he has very similar genetics to Kesho. As you know Kesho was London’s Silverback for a while before his infertility was discovered. The next best option would be for Alf or Evindi to move to London. Not only are they full Brother’s too Kesho but they have experience of Baby Gorillas. My only concern is that having very similar genetics to Kesho could mean they are also infertile.

Finally Alf and Evindi would have witnessed their Dad copulating and have learned how the deed is done. @Pertinax what are you thoughts on the points I’ve raised?

11. zoosafari123

zoosafari123 Well-Known Member

I was waiting for the park to confirm, but Evindi passed away around 2 weeks ago because of a hereditary disease. I didn’t ask the keeper anything else because he was clearly very upset. A magnificent animal.

12. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's tragic news. He was only 16 years of age. It'll be interesting to see what his cause of death was, and what side of his family he got his hereditary disease from. His grandmother died from breastcancer (via his maternal side) whereas his father also died from a stroke.

13. Kates89

Kates89 Well-Known Member

Was he the one who had the chromosome thing?

14. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You’re thinking of Kesho (born 16/02/1999). He has Klinefelter syndrome, which means he has an extra X chromosome and is unable to sire offspring.

Kesho was the male who fatally injured London Zoo’s gorilla infant (Tiny) upon his introduction to their troop in 2011. It was even more devastating when it was revealed he was infertile.

Rajang-GOAT, Pertinax and Haliaeetus like this.
  15. Kates89

Kates89 Well-Known Member

Ah yes sorry, it was Kesho I was thinking of. Im only just learning all the animals and rheir names

16. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

I didn't know that Klinefelter syndrome existed among non-human species.

17. Pertinax

Evindi was one of Kesho's younger full-brothers living with him at Longleat.

18. Pertinax

Sad news indeed. I was sure he was either seperated or had died, as there was no news of a transfer to anywhere else.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2022
  19. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It’s also been identified in cats, dogs, pigs, horses and mice among other species.

When it was announced Kesho had Klinefelter syndrome, it was mentioned it had occurred in one gorilla previously. Considering it’s becoming increasingly common for captive born male gorillas to live their lives in bachelor troops, it’s possible a number of future cases will go undetected.

Haliaeetus and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  20. The Hedgehog

@zoosafari123 did Evindi have Klinefelter Syndrome? Apparently this syndrome has a shorter life expectancy.