Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Safari Park News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 1 Jan 2018.

1. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I normally watch with the sound off to avoid the banal commentary but put it back on to see where the Eland had come from. Of course they did not say. Thank you Nisha for filling in the blanks.

If anyone else spots a delivery and can say where they came from I would find that both helpful and interesting.

Penguins anyone?

Pertinax likes this.
  2. cliffxdavis

I can only stand so much Humble and Fogle so I will not be binge watching. I record so I can fast forward.

Crowthorne and Pertinax like this.
  3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

If you watch it on the web, you can scroll through each episode as you like to look for anything of interest. I'll probably binge, but wont post any spoilers. I don't think they mentioned the origin of the penguins.

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the case of the Eland - Dvur Kralove was written on the door of the stable. Plus he arrived in Dvur Kralove's lorry.. :rolleyes: no idea about the Penguin's origin.

*SPOILERS*

Today's episode (I'll just post about them as they're aired to avoid spoilers for those who don't have access to Iplayer) mentioned the birth of 5 Rothschild Giraffes since Summer 2017. All 5 calves are male. Named Reggie, Ronnie, Trimpy, Rudy and Sheldon.

Rudy was born to a female called Nora. Sheldon is the youngest and Reggie the oldest

The birth of the two Cheetah cubs (Spring 2018) was also mentioned. Unfortunately the male cub was injured, rejected and then taken away for handrearing whilst his sister was left with mum (Wilma) initially. Sadly he was too badly injured and had to be PTS. The story of his sister will continue later in the series

5. cliffxdavis

Saw the lorry but did not like to assume they had not lent it to another collection. Did see the stable writing though but your confirmation was helpful.

6. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I have to record anything that might be interesting but that also contains Kate Not-So-Humble so that I can avoid her being patronising and Head Girlish. I've never forgiven her for not letting geology expert Prof Iain Stewart speak during a live TV series about volcanoes in Hawaii.

Crowthorne and Brum like this.
  7. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any idea when Nora (Rothschild giraffe) was born & to who ? What is their herd size now ? Guessing Becky is still going strong ? Would be grateful if anyone has any answers thanks in advance

8. littleRedPanda

9. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How many lions does the park have now ?

10. Embu

28 lions as of July 2016 unless there have been any moves out or deaths since. Prior to this, six lions were moved to Folly Farm & 3 siblings were moved to Newquay.

11. JoeDK14

28 lions seems a lot, how are they split over certain prides

12. Embu

I believe the two oldest sisters Lunar & Yendi (born 2001) (hopefully are both still alive) are in one pride with their offspring. 2 sisters born at Blackpool with their litter of 4 are in the other. There was a male called Nibalo in with Lunar & Yendi don't know if he's still there though

13. Embu

0:3 from Blackpool called Kimya,Nikita,Lunar. Believe both Lunar & possibly Nikita both had a litter of 4 cubs each. Lunar & her 4 cubs moved to Folly Farm with Hugo where I think they are all still.

14. Nisha

Lions - Kimya and Nikita (from Blackpool's 2009 litter) are mixed with a 6 year old male called Harry. Two males called Simba and Klaus are with a group of 7 females

Two male Spotted Hyena are now on display. They were imported from France and The Netherlands. Two more males will join them later in the year

15. Embu

Since they have stopped breeding there hasn't been any mention of Niblao, is he still there or has he moved ? If anyone can confirm whether there have been any deaths in the prides since Henry & Louisa ?
    I think there was 3 litters born in 2011 to Lunar,Yendi and Malaika. Jazeera never seemed to have bred. It's great news that hyenas are replacing the timber wolves

16. JoeDK14

The hyenas arnt replacing the timber wolves a pack of European Wolves will be replacing them

17. littleRedPanda

further to my earlier post

Although ztl does not list them as current or former, I have just found this clip on youtube which shows them present in 2015, so I'm guessing the beeb clip is from a previous recording.

18. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Whereabouts are the hyenas located in the park? In the safari area I assume.

19. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Louisa didn’t 'die' !!

20. Nisha

If you skip several Animal Park episodes into the future. The Lemur question is answered in episode 10. Due to be aired a week on Friday.

There's more interesting bits in this particular episode but I'll reveal them once it's aired..

*Lemur Spoiler below*

They had a pair. The male died in 2017. They still have an elderly female left in the Lemur Walkthrough.. But "she's too old to be paired up with another male"

littleRedPanda likes this.