Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Safari Park 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 4 Jan 2020.

1. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. zoosafari123

zoosafari123 Well-Known Member

Nice visit today. Couple of things to note, the deer park is still closed and is no longer advertised on the map. There were no monkey's at monkey temple and no signage for them there either, were they not out as the weather wasn't great? Iggy the famous iguana (from Animal Park) has sadly passed away. Also, no sign of the warthog's but I spoke to a keeper and she told me that the female they got, had sadly passed so they only have one male now

3. Mugglewump83

Mugglewump83 Member

The deer area used to be closed during rutting season however in times of bad weather it was often closed. The weather recently has been terrible and subsequently there has been lots of flooding in that area- also over the past couple of weekends the wind/storms that we have had had destroyed the keeper hut that was there so wonder if that has played a part in the extended closure? That said, we were talking to a keeper in the safari area towards the end of last year and apparently there is an ongoing system of updating of enclosure fencing/areas throughout the safari so wonder if they are using the current opportunity to improve the fencing and section security in that area? They are right alongside the lions, so presumably not as simple as knocking down one fence and adding another!

We asked about the monkey temple a while ago and were told they were relocating them as the environment just wasn’t suitable for them anymore. The keeper wasn’t sure exactly what was going to happen in that area though

4. zoosafari123

Interesting. Do you (or anyone) happen to know if the monkeys will be moved on to other collections or moved elsewhere at Longleat?

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is the 'monkey temple' the same as the drive-through area with rhesus macaques & (perhaps still) blackbuck?

6. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No, it's part of the zoo you visit on foot, with free roaming tamarins and marmosets.

Brum and Pertinax like this.
  7. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If I remember rightly, different Callitrichid species are allowed out in a rota system. The idea of small (rather than fairly large) monkeys in a ruined (Mayan?) temple doesn't entirely work for me, possibly because I grew up seeing Bristol's Macaque exhibit.

8. zoosafari123

Sorry I should have mentioned that I found this out yesterday. Ruffina has passed so Maya is in with Ajendra in the enclosure by monkey temple. The two brothers remain by half mile lake.

9. Jedd Cullinan

10. Jedd Cullinan

The Pancake Tortoise has now got a name and it's been called Syrup

11. migdog

Maya came from a zoo in Rome apparently.

12. Jedd Cullinan

13. migdog

We visited on Sunday to do our Koala experience. It was pretty quiet, though I expect the heavy rain didn't help. It really is worrying times for all collections.

Jedd Cullinan likes this.
  14. Jedd Cullinan

If I'm honest it is terrifying

15. zoosafari123

How was the koala experience though? Was it worth the money? I'm interested in doing it hence why I'm asking :)

16. migdog

It was pretty good. We got to feed the koalas eucalyptus (Dennis the male was the most keen), and got to touch one of the females to see what their fur feels like. We were lucky enough to see Dennis get weighed as well. We didn't get to feed the potoroos as they stayed in bed, and the wombat stayed asleep, so I would say it will be more worth it in the warmer months. A high cost but as they're the only koalas in England it's well worth doing :)

17. zoosafari123

Thanks, I'll definitely look into it then! Did they mention getting a second wombat?

18. migdog

Yes, the keeper said they were hoping to get a mate for Ellie the wombat but nothing confirmed as yet. Burke the new male koloa is not on show.

19. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Actually, he is!!!
    Though I can understand why you may not have seen him. When I visited Friday he was visible in his outdoor pen. This is situated immediately to the right as you enter the courtyard outside the koala indoors. His indoor area is offshow, but he was sat in his tree eating eucalyptus when I saw him.

20. migdog

You're right, I did see his outdoor enclosure, but he wasn't out in the torrential rain on Sunday.

ShonenJake13 likes this.