Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Safari Park 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 4 Jan 2020.

1. GaryA

GaryA Well-Known Member

Having watched some of the seriously out of order Animal Park repeats on BBC2, I noticed a Moose appear in one episode.

I went last year and didn't see it, and I noticed someone did query this before but had no reply.

What DID happen to the moose? I've yet to see one to tick off my bucket list.

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I saw Moose there at my last visit in November - in the paddock at the top of the giraffe reserve (adjoining the lemur walkthrough) - best viewing was from within the lemur enclosure itself. :)

EDIT: Just remembered I uploaded a photo: European Moose (from Lemur Walkthrough) at Longleat, 03/11/19 - ZooChat

:)

GaryA likes this.
  3. GaryA

GaryA Well-Known Member

Damn! I missed it. We were late going round the park as the people I was with wanted to explore the house and I didn't get the chance to do a proper tour of the African Village area. One of the problems relying on a driver as I can't any more!

4. Maguari

Yes, being beholden to someone else's priorities is always a pain when there's new species to hunt down!

Cat-Man and GaryA like this.
  5. zoosafari123

zoosafari123 Well-Known Member

I should be going this afternoon so I'll update you! I've only ever seen 1 (and every time I see her she seems to be sat down) but people have said there were 2 at some point.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2020
    GaryA likes this.
  6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you know where it/they(?) came from - Knowlsey, or Whipsnade, or elsewhere?

7. Maguari

I don't, I'm afraid.

Pertinax likes this.
  8. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I believe the last Whipsnade moose was sent to Longleat.

Pertinax likes this.
  9. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One of Longleat's moose came from a deer park in Scotland I believe

Pertinax likes this.
  10. zoosafari123

Went today, had a very enjoyable visit! We went round the safari just after 3 and basically had it all to ourselves. I didn't see any of the moose but, I have to admit I didn't look very hard because Kate Humble and a film crew were the other side of the African Reserve (presumably filming for Animal Park), so I was more interested in seeing that as in all my visits (and trust me there's a lot) I've never seen them filming. Didn't see the 2 black wildebeest that are normally in this section either and I'm still yet to see the new warthog.

Also, down at Animal Adventure a keeper told me that they are getting a male tree porcupine next month to live with their female. I was also told that they currently only have 1 female Binturong who is basically now fully nocturnal so she is kept inside all day and only allowed out at night so she is no longer mixed with the otters as a result.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2020
    Antoine, TNT, JamesB and 2 others like this.
  11. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Went to Longleat yesterday, happy to report the social distancing measures put in place are very good and observed for the most part. The park was busy but never really felt crowded. This was my first visit in 5 years, it was great to see the new koalas and giant otters. The number of areas closed was a bit frustrating, especially the new crocodiles. I felt like they could have made this into a one way area. We didn't manage to get on the boat as the queue was at least an hour most the day.

Quite a few no shows today: wildebeest (have they gone?) moose, bongos, potoroo, aardvark, colobus monkeys, warthog, Anne the elephant, all the Marmosets as Monkey Temple has been taken down.

12. zoosafari123

I didn't see the moose, wildebeest or warthog on my last visit either, shame if they've gone. I find that seeing the bongo always seems to require a bit of luck as the area their in is quite large so it's easy to miss them. Whilst speaking about the bongo, there's only 2 individuals left which is sad because they used to have a group of about 6 at one point I think? Not sure if they ever managed to breed.

Also, you probably didn't see the colobus monkeys as you didn't go on the boat. They're on the island in the middle of the lake :)

13. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The enclosure which someone said the Moose were in (behind the Lemurs) had a few Zebras in yesterday. I assume they have split the herd up as some were in the main African area too.

We did the train instead but the island was empty, they were probably all indoors!
    Does anyone know how many Gorillas there are now? We saw 2 outside.

14. zoosafari123

5; Kesho, Alf, Evindi, Yuba and Suwedi :)

Kifaru Bwana and JamesB like this.
  15. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited Monday and Tuesday and can confirm that the bongo, colobus and Anne the elephant we’re all there. Also spoke to a keeper about the crocodiles and the reason it isn’t open is the heat inside the enclosure has to be kept in by rubber flaps much like the ones at Chester in monsoon forest and they would have to be cleaned every time someone touched them so there for it was to much work.

16. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good set of news aswell in fact Jungle Cruise has reopened with social distancing measures already in place

17. zoosafari123

Went this week, still no sign of the elk, warthog or black wildebeest. Two Zebra were in the elk enclosure. The secretary birds have moved from the aviaries near the long house to the vulture aviary on the safari drive through.
    At Family Farmyard, a second fence has been added in between you and the animals. I spoke to a keeper about this and they said it's so they don't have to have a member of staff supervising.

I was very annoyed that NOBODY seemed to stick to social distancing and it was a bit of a free for all despite Longleat putting a very good system in place. I didn't bother going to see the koalas as there was a very, very long queue to see them (possibly longer than the boat queue).

JamesB likes this.
  18. Jedd Cullinan

In the Guess the Animal this week is of course the Six-banded Armadillo on social media

19. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Login • Instagram

A series of photographs of Lord Bath and his wife Tania Duckworth of Longleat in the 1960s.

20. Jedd Cullinan