Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Safari Park News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 1 Jan 2018.

1. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No not until next year

Ned likes this.
  2. Jedd Cullinan

Is anyone going to the Festival of Lights this year ?

3. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I won't be going but from what I've seen of it on tv it looks very good.

4. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I just looked up the price of the festival of lights tickets - at a weekend, the only time I can go because I work full time, it would cost me over £31!! Ouch!! And they state on the website it is a "busy time". So I am paying more for being surrounded by crowds?

I think I'll drive up to Chester for their lanterns, where it would cost me the grand total of £20 when my membership expires.

*Weeps* and if you have children and want to go on the Santa Express, it costs you extra. That would be an extra £14.95 for a child.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Nov 2018
    pipaluk likes this.
  5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've probably said enough about this place, but this just confirms it is the biggest rip off 'zoo' in the UK, apart from theme park zoos( which maybe Longleat should be considered as!) it is £5 more than anywhere else and even when a couple of Australian rarities go on show next year that still won't make it good value .. Other opinions are obviously welcome

6. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Doesn't the evening access come with your daily tickets ?

7. BeakerUK

The cost of a day ticket for the Festival of Light on Sunday 9th December is £34.15 for one adult. For a child on the same day it is £25.60.

If you also want to go on the Santa Express (which you can't on that date as it's sold out, but in theory) that is an additional £5 for an adult and £14.95 for a child.

So for a family of 2 adults and 2 children, including going on the Santa Express, the day will cost you (without food) £159.40.

The equivalent day at Chester will cost £20 per adult, and £16.36 per child - total of £72.72 (plus the cost of the monorail if you want to go on that - unlimited rides for £4 per adult and £3 per child).

Not that people who go to Longleat are going to go to Chester instead. I thought it would be an interesting comparison considering Chester isn't particularly cheap itself, but is for me a greatly superior zoo and day out. Some people disagree, which is fine.

pipaluk likes this.
  8. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Except that you have to pay extra for the lanterns at Chester zoo it is not included in the zoo price. So that would be an extra £15 an adult and £12.50 a child ticket. Making it dearer than longleat if you don’t include the Santa express?

9. Ned

The fact the the Santa express is fully booked suggested there are many families who don't consider the price too excessive.

And here's a song they won't be playing on the Santa express

Incidentally, this video was filmed in Hammersmith, I'm somewhere in that crowd

Brum likes this.
  10. BeakerUK

As I said, no one is going to go to Chester instead of Longleat and plenty of people are entirely happy with that price. My point wasn't that Chester was cheaper (or not), but that I would more happily pay that amount of money for a zoo I enjoy more.

11. Zooreviewsuk

Personally I don't have an issue with £32 for Longleat including the festival of lights.

I booked an experience for next Sunday, which included entry to the park, so it works out I paid £33 extra for a VIP experience. To me this is when a park become excellent value.

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At £35 summer entrance, I would suggest Longleat is the worst value in the UK by some distance! It isn't better than Chester or Whipsnade, but £10 more!

13. Ned

Certainly doesn't offer as much value for money as other zoos but they do have an Elizabethan pile to upkeep.

14. Jedd Cullinan

Here's a video on how the Colobus Monkeys are settling in to their new home on the Island

Benosaurus, Zorro and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. Zooreviewsuk

Had a VIP day at Longleat today and all I can say is well. Superb value for money, they get you close to all the animals on the safari, to get great photo's, you get to learn so much. Get to handle certain animals and get to meet a couple of animals face to face.

The four Cheetah kittens are really playful and great, and look to be doing well.

They are trying AI with one of the White Rhino's, to try and breed a Northern White Rhino hybrid.

Tour guide I was with said the Koala's are doing well and all being well they will open in time for Easter. (They are situated behind the Lorikeets).

Festival of light is amazing, the lanterns are seriously impressive and the Christmas Tree which lights up with music is cool, whilst the Xmas Bird Show is really good too.

Red Panda's have two exhibits now, and in one of them, there is two babies, who were not peering out yet sadly.

Got to see the Wolves who are currently offshow whilst their exhibit is built.

Two new Tigers at the collection who they hope will breed.

All in all a great day and excellent value for money, and from 9am all the way to 5.30pm I didn't stop, so that makes a change with a lot of parks.

Would recommend anyone going to see the lights, streets better than Chester's, and the shows only increase that.

Pictures will follow when I get chance.

StoppableSan and Brum like this.
  16. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Announced on Facebook today that Penguin Island will be closed throughout 2019 to help prevent the spread of Avian Malaria.

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Slight correction - Unfortunately Avian Malaria struck the park again this year. The second time in two years. They were hit badly and have been left with only a small number of Penguins. In January these remaining birds will be transferred to another collection. Longleat will no longer hold Penguins. The exhibit will be used for another species (yet to be revealed)

18. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My bad. I saw it on FB as I was scrolling through. It's huge shame as their exhibit looks(albeit on tv) great but understandably I can see why they are moving.

19. Jedd Cullinan

20. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do we have any ideas what the new species could be