Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Safari Park News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 9 Jan 2019.

1. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The sheep weren't in with the lemurs today. Did see a very young giraffe though :)

2. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi everyone. As you all know that this week I was supposed to be returning to Longleat but unfortunately things have not gone as planned and that was because The Premier Inn in Frome where I stay for 3 nights has the dates been sold out so it means on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th October which is still Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I am set to return

3. Jedd Cullinan

Sky Safari is going really well although I was not there until Early October

4. Jedd Cullinan

5. Jedd Cullinan

Not long now til it's time for me to be on my way back to Longleat

6. Jedd Cullinan

7. Jedd Cullinan

8. Jedd Cullinan

9. zoosafari123

zoosafari123 Well-Known Member

Next week I'm off to longleat. I haven't been since the koalas arrived so haven't seen them or the giant otters and cuban crocodiles so I'm looking forward to that! Also, looking forward to seeing the sheep and goats in with the lemurs as I haven't seen that mix before. Anyone know what happened to the old pygmy goat paddock and also wallaby wood? Additionally, I look forward to seeing the European Elk, the Hyena and the new ostrich group and hopefully I'll be able to spot the tiger cubs in their temporary paddock as they're not in the drive-through yet.

10. Zonkey18

Zonkey18 Member

I went to longleat for the first time in about 7 years the other week for the sky safari event. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see the Hyena or tiger cubs but the koalas were awesome. The goats, sheep and lemurs seemed to get on well which was nice.

11. zoosafari123

zoosafari123 Well-Known Member

Longleat have a new koala:

Zonkey18, Kifaru Bwana, TNT and 2 others like this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On B/L ex Osaka Tennoji Zoo: M Ark (11), only southern koala there. Had big fanclub overseas in Japan!!!

PossumRoach likes this.
  13. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Visited yesterday and glad to have it out of my system. Even if I'd booked ahead, paying the discounted entry fee would not have made it good value for me. personally. The first pride of lions and the pack of wolves were very engaging, but nothing else of the drive through really stood out. The tiger cubs were very active with mum, but not very visible as they are set back behind fencing. I didn't find the boat cruise very fulfilling, considering it took about an hour out of the day what with the queuing, although the red pandas were active during that time. The highlight of the boat cruise was seeing a kingfisher fly up and down the bank a couple of times. The small walk through area is pleasant. Basically, it was a pleasant day that let me rest my legs a bit while observing some animals, but not really worth the fee or 6 hour round trip. If I lived closer, I would probably buy an annual pass and be less miserable about it :D

14. taun

taun Well-Known Member

It is expensive, and probably worth it if your staying locally and can pop in for a couple of visits otherwise it is all a bit rushed esp if you want to do the drive through more than once.

I wonder if it is more worth it with the recent arrivals, wombats and koalas etc....

15. littleRedPanda

I do really like koalas, even if they do sleep a lot, however the wombat did not venture out in the couple of hours I spent on foot (or water). I prefer Chester and YWP's Giant otter exhibits.
    I'm generally not a drive through safari fan, because of the time you can be stuck in a line of traffic with nothing to view for no obvious reason.

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I will only visit a safari park nowadays on a quiet weekday, out of season and during school termtime when you can usually drive around almost free of any traffic- but I do appreciate many people don't have that option.

Your comment about the boat trip and the kingfisher strikes home rather. Did you see the gorillas a. well b. unsatisfactorily c. not at all?

17. littleRedPanda

Apparently we were honoured to see them all out looking for food. However, as you only get a few minutes to take them in and mainly rear end views of them, it wasn't a particularly memorable experience. Before going on the boat, I had considered taking a second trip depending on the gorilla viewing, but I thought it was too brief.

Pertinax likes this.
  18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've never bothered to do the boat trip to see Longleat gorillas for that 'hit or miss' reason. I remember doing it years ago when the old silverback Nico still lived on his island- he was a no-show and they just glossed over it as if that wasn't what you were on the boat for in the first place. Its a ridiculous way of exhibiting them I feel, with no chance to stop, look or observe them properly. It gets a thumbs down from me.

19. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I also visited the other weekend, first time I along time for me also it’s about a three and a half hour drive each way so took the option of a stop over night in Bristol, we travel down Saturday morning not particularly early around nine got to Bristol zoo for twelve, another I haven’t been to in a while but thoroughly worth a visit for the afternoon. Then stoped over in Bristol for the night and arrived at Longleat for ten, opening time and stayed for the whole day before traveling home at night missing any traffic. I would say anybody traveling any distance Longleat it’s worth stoping over and getting another collection in the day you travel down on the way as I found the collection not underwhelming by any means but for me personal a long way to travel for an expensive experience which I would not repeat every year as I often do to other collection. The koalas are awesome though. And don’t be fooled be the second day ticket to be able to fit it all in we where there on a weekend and managed to do two safaris, boat, train and walkthrough section with time to have dinner and shop with my farther whom is on a walking stick so no rushing around

20. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I also visited the other weekend, first time I along time for me also it’s about a three and a half hour drive each way so took the option of a stop over night in Bristol, we travel down Saturday morning not particularly early around nine got to Bristol zoo for twelve, another I haven’t been to in a while but thoroughly worth a visit for the afternoon. Then stoped over in Bristol for the night and arrived at Longleat for ten, opening time and stayed for the whole day before traveling home at night missing any traffic. I would say anybody traveling any distance Longleat it’s worth stoping over and getting another collection in the day you travel down on the way as I found the collection not underwhelming by any means but for me personal a long way to travel for an expensive experience which I would not repeat every year as I often do to other collection. The koalas are awesome though. And don’t be fooled be the second day ticket to be able to fit it all in we where there on a weekend and managed to do two safaris, boat, train and walkthrough section with time to have dinner and shop with my farther whom is on a walking stick so no rushing around