Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Safari Park News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 9 Jan 2019.

1. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Azubaa

Azubaa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jambo likes this.
  3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

These things are going to happen sometimes, and have to be viewed in the wider context of how much zoos do to educate the public and maintain stocks of rare animals. The death rate in zoos is far less than in the wild.

4. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Nothing similar between the two...

one was introducing animals for breeding, the other was moving animals around and got released into an enclosure it should not have done.

Which begs many questions, which even if raised answers will not be given.

Jambo, Sand Cat, pipaluk and 2 others like this.
  6. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if longleat use two keepers to move the big cats around?

I know some zoos have two keeper protocols to check locks/ slides to ensure the cats are where they are supposed to be. Maybe this is something that will be looked into by some other collections.

7. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kate Humble might...if she turns on the waterworks hard enough when Animal Park returns.

8. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think I worded my statement wrong. What I meant was that both deaths were the result of injuries inflicted by another tiger. ;)

Azubaa likes this.
  9. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To be fair, I think there are a lot of similarities:

Both incidents are tragedies involving the death of a tigress by another tiger/tigers; both have occurred in UK zoological institutions within a few days of each other; both have been high profile news stories globally (though ZSL has received significantly more coverage); both incidents have generated a high level of discussion both on ZooChat, and outside of the zoo world (the general public); both have attracted the attention and outrage of the animal rights movement for similar reasons; and finally - the death of Shouri was due to staff error; London Zoo will no doubt be conducting an extensive review of the events leading up to the tragedy to determine if an error was made (possibilities being the selection of the tigers paired and their personalities and social background; and how the introduction was handled i.e. timing, methods of dealing with agonistic behaviour).

Jambo likes this.
  10. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Other than a tiger died, the two incidents are as different as night and day.

London Zoo where iintroducing two tigers after watching their behavour and seeing positive signs, they were also prepared to separate them asap if necessary. Separating the animals was not possible on this occasion but one could assume they have done this a few times (with different animals) and therefore have been able to separate animals in the past (maybe in a less heated situation). This can happen it risk one takes to help conserve the species.

Longleat made an huge error in letting a tiger into an enclosure with tigers it was never meant to meet. Therefore they were unprepared to try to separate the tigers Firstly its a mistake but one that should not happen, it is an easily preventable and they will need to review their proceedures for moving animals and also the layout of their enclosures. This should not have happened.

Unfortunitely more pressure will be put on London Zoo to explain itself than Longleat, when the serious questions should be asked of Longleat.

Nothing is ever certain with wild animals but to me its as simple as one incident should never have happened and the other was the worse case scenerio and also a reminder when zoo keepers say on documentries "the worse that could happen is one of them dies". Well it does happen.

Mistakes happen and its how we respond to mistakes that makes us better.

11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I said I wouldn't go on about the wlaes ape sanctuary, but they have referred to this death as "another failed integration"

Pertinax likes this.
  12. Zoofan15

Nobody's debating there are differenes, but as I listed in the part of my post you didn't quote, there are similarities - the biggest being they both involved the death of a tiger by another tiger at UK zoos.

The investigation into the incident at ZSL will involve a discussion of many complex factors (including some outside the keeper's control) in all liklihood; the incident at Longleat is far simpler. The wrong door was opened. The most important questions are why did it happen (most likely human error) and how can they prevent it from happening again.

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I noticed that too. They need to get their facts straight.

pipaluk likes this.
  14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry, I'm struggling to understand what you are actually arguing here? The Longleat death is clearly (as you've accepted) down to a keeper mistake! London's tiger death was at worst down to a misjudgement of a situation,, not incompetence !

15. Zoofan15

I'm not explaining it a third time. I never said the situation at ZSL was caused by incompetence; nor the incident at Longleat. We don't know all the facts, though it appears human error was the cause.

16. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Were the European Grey wolves kept off show until now then? I was under the impression they had already swapped with the Timbers. Amazing for visitors to see this year, very exciting.

18. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I done a VIP day in December and at that stage they were still putting in the new fencing for the Grey Wolves, so they were off show, but the plan was to be ready for the new season.
    They are in the Timber Wolves exhibit, and the Timber Wolves are effectively in housing in the same section but their paddock is all boarded up so you can't see them.

19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A male aardvark has arrived from Germany

Longleat

20. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Interesting as Colchester told us last Friday that Ottis their Aardvark had gone to Longleat to join the 2 females there. Hmmmm