Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Safari Park News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 9 Jan 2019.

1. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not sure about this but on a VIP tour in September 2018 I was told by the guide that they were planning on putting all four tigers (the breeding pair and the two females) together in the drive through area. This was however a long way off as they were in the process of building a new house (i think, they were definitely building something)? The two girls are/were non breeding females as they were hybrids as a result of a time before proper records were kept.

2. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Jedd Cullinan

Inny the Giant Otter is settling in so well into her new home since arriving and she's doing really good

4. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone have any pictures of the new exhibits.

5. Jedd Cullinan

Anyone going to Longleat this weekend. Unfortunately due to Strong Wind the Carousel and Tea Cups ride have had to close and will not re-open today. The wind speeds are expected to drop in the afternoon

6. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

0:2 lions Kimya & Nikita born at Blackpool zoo 2009 have left Longleat and moved to Dartmoor zoo to join their male Jabari. This leaves 26 individuals.

TNT likes this.
  7. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Embu sorry to point this out but Dartmoor zoos male Lion is called Jasiri however there is an animal in a zoo called Jabari but it's a male White Rhino who was born at Dublin zoo but now resides in Marwell zoo.

Also what are the Names of the individuals left at Longleat?

Many thanks and kind regards
    The Hedgehog

8. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Koala Creek opens today. BBC weather girl opening it and will be featured on morning news on bbc.

9. Embu

Apologies really should have read it

Pride A has been disbanded I think? After the documented deaths in 2014, remaining male Hugo(dob 2008 Knowsley) Lunar (dob 2009 Blackpool) and 4 x cubs moved to Folly Farm. Now Lunar's sisters Kimya & Nikita have moved to Dartmoor this week.

Pride B used to consist of
    1:0 Niblao
    0:1 Lunar dob 2001
    0:1 Yendi dob 2001
    0:1 Malika dob 2005
    0:1 Jazira dob 2005
    2:2 born 2006
    3:1 born 2007

Most if not all of the males have moved out to other collections I would have thought. Wallace at Blackpool was one of them. I would have thought remaining females are still alive with a total of 26 left

10. Embu

11. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Sorry Embu you haven't listed 26 names of the lions that currently reside at Longleat

12. Embu

That's because I don't know all the names.....there were 3 called Sweet Pea,Mildred& Little Jazz, that's as much as I know. The others may have pet names from the keepers but as I'm not a keeper I wouldn't know.

13. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

When I went to Longleat in November on a tour, they had about 12/13 Lions which consisted of 2 males out on the main safari. In another section there was around 10/12 Lions of which there were some castrated males with lionesses, who had lost their manes so you could easily think they were females when not looking at close glance.

There was another group of 3 in a separate section opposite the Hippo paddock.

I would have said in November, there was about 25-28 Lions at Longleat in three groups.

14. Embu

By process of guesswork the trio kept together I think were Harry, Kimya & Nikita. As I've stated earlier in thread Nikita & Kimya have moved to Dartmoor zoo this last week.

15. katinakalinakaterina

One of the two males on the main safari is Simba (unsure of DOB or origin).

16. Embu

Come to think of it, didn't Simba have a brother called Klaus? Pride B possibly not 100% though

17. katinakalinakaterina

Not sure if this is still accurate ( if any have died/moved on):
    Simba, Nala, Enzi and Nyota were born to Malaika in 2011. They were the second litter born in 2011 (the last litter before them was born in 2007). When they were old enough they joined the pride in the second lion reserve led by Nibalo (arrived in 2010) which consisted of 12 lions already.
    Yendi and Nibalo produced a litter of 4 cubs in March 2011 (3 females: Tanya, Kianya, Eve and 1 male: Klaus). Nibalo also mated with Luna in 2011 and produced 2 cubs: Sylvester (M) and Kink (F). (Luna mated with Hugo in 2013 and produced four cubs: Sola, Zahra, Alika, and Ebele, all six were moved to Folly Farm in 2014).

So, at a guess:
    Pride 'B'
    * Nibalo (assuming he is still living, I have not seen any posts suggesting otherwise).
    * Yendi (again, no evidence of death)
    * Malaika (no evidence of death)
    * Simba, Nala, Enzi, Nyota (possibly moved around to prevent inbreeding)
    * Tanya, Kianya, Eve and Klaus (again possibly moved)
    * Sylvester and Kink (possibly moved)
    That makes 13 although I am unsure of the fates of Jasira, Mildred, Sweet Pea and Little Jas so potentially 17.

As for Pride 'A', that is trickier. After the unfortunate events of 2014:
    Longleat announced that the five aggressive lions (Louisa and her four cubs) were potentially putting the other 21 lions at risk so they were PTS. Henry was also PTS as a result of an attack by said animals. Longleat announced it would send off five lions from the same enclosure to other zoos (these would have been Hugo, Lunya?, Nikita, Kimya and an Unknown? fifth lion)

Pride 'A' (nonexistant)
    * Henry (PTS)
    * Hugo (now at Folly Farm)
    * Louisa (PTS along with four cubs (I do not know if they were ever named)
    * Lunya (not sure if this is the same animal as Luna (now at Folly Farm or another individual)
    * Nikita (Now at Dartmoor)
    * Kimya (Now at Dartmoor)

To my knowledge Longleat has had no births since 2014? (Please correct me if I am wrong)

18. Embu

Luna who is now at Folly Farm is a separate animal. Luna(Folly Farm) was born at Blackpool with her sisters who have just moved to Dartmoor zoo.
    The other Luna was born in 2001 at Longleat and was a regular breeder along with her sister Yendi. Apparently Jazeera had a litter in 2009 but they have died( I think she killed them) according to newspaper article(don't know how true this though)

19. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Animal Park 2018 - filmed last Spring/early Summer

Jasira was living with Enzi, Nyota and Nala. I can't remember if there were others in that group (they were not named on the programme if so)

"3rd section" consisted of Neo, Betty, Beryl, Little E and Little A

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The males born in 2006 to Yendi and Kabir were Wallace (now at Blackpool) and Dudley. Dudley was eventually placed at Blair Drummond and is now at Emmen