Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Safari Park News 2022

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 17 Jan 2022.

1. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So Vic was the first of the wolf brothers to die, I believe around 2017/2018. Dave & Alf died last year (2021)

Ringo & Tallulah I think died end of 2020/start of 2021

I can't help with the emus or binturongs unfortunately sorry

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  2. Rajang-GOAT

Rajang-GOAT Well-Known Member

Although I do watch animal park I do not know the most about Longleat compared to others on zoochat but I believe that the last of the group of Timber wolves passed away in late 2021 and another passed away in the summer 2021 Animal Park series.
    Edit: Oops, I just realised that Embu replied before I got a chance to post my own.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Embu

@Rajang-GOAT don't worry (crossover posts) I've done it multiple times myself haha

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  4. Everyonelovesatapir

Everyonelovesatapir Active Member

Great to see the BBC News about the baby Koala. When do you think it will be viewable for the public? Longleat is somewhere I'm looking forward to visiting again in the spring, but wanted to go when the Koala is likely to be viewable. Anyone know how long it will be until it starts emerging from the mothers pouch and likely to be able to be seen in the exhibit. Thanks.

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  5. zoosafari123

zoosafari123 Well-Known Member

It is viewable to the public! I've seen the joey myself. Violet (mum) and the joey are in the smallest koala enclosure on the right as you enter koala creek however their indoor quarters is off-show (it's in the giant otter/crocodile building) but there is a live video stream outside so you can see. Luckily, both times I've visited in the last two weeks they've been outside. It's remarkable to see how much bigger the Joey had gotten in just a week!

Not sure what happened to Tylo the binturong but I know Arabella was moved on to a different collection, there are two new binturong called; Edana and Balloo.

Buttons sadly passed away (not sure on date but think early 2020). Longleat had an emu chick last year called Bueno bringing the total back up to 4.

There are two Dik Dik (arrived late 2020) in the old coati enclosure.

The kinkajou were briefly moved to an enclosure in Jungle Kingdom but have been moved off show again, a keeper told me they will be back on show in the not too distant future. I don't know where though but I would imagine somwhere in Animal Adventure as there is a lot of empty enclosures there at the moment....

I should be going again this weekend so will do an update!

Last edited: 15 Feb 2022
    Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  6. Everyonelovesatapir

Everyonelovesatapir Active Member

Thank you for the reply. I'm glad that the joey is viewable, even if only in its outside section. I think I will wait until the weather picks up before paying a visit.

zoosafari123 likes this.
  7. Embu

Friends of mine are planning on visiting Longleat this year and their little lad loves pigs, do they still have warthogs on show? Are they visible from the drive through or on foot?

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  8. zoosafari123

There is a male warthog in the old tapir enclosure at the bottom of the African village car park. You can walk down to the enclosure if you wish but you also pass it as you exit the East Africa Reserve. However, I've only seen him once he is very elusive. There's two kune kune pigs by the Jungle Cruise though ;)

Animallover1998 and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  9. Embu

Thanks @zoosafari123, Im sure hell be delighted if he's sees it. He used to watch Peppa Pig so I'm guessing that's where the obsession has come from

zoosafari123, pipaluk and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  10. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For anyone who is hoping to be visiting Longleat tomorrow well sadly not tomorrow cause look

"
    Due to the expected high winds forecast for tomorrow (Friday 18th February), regrettably we have taken the difficult decision to close the park to all guests. Anyone booked for this date will automatically receive a full refund within two weeks.
    Wind conditions are set to improve from Saturday 19th February and we expect to re-open as normal, but we will provide any updates via the Longleat website: longleat.co.uk
    We appreciate your understanding at this time."

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  11. Jedd Cullinan

an update for those who wanted to visit Longleat

" Due to damage caused by Storm Eunice across the Longleat Estate, we will continue to be closed tomorrow (Sun 20th Feb). Our teams are working tirelessy to ensure our guests can return as soon as safely possible.
    Anyone who has already booked Day Tickets will receive an automatic full refund within two weeks.
    Guests who have a VIP experience or staying in our cottages will be contacted directly to rearrange.
    Please check our website for further updates."

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  12. Jedd Cullinan

Some guarded good news. "After a few windy days on the estate we're delighted to say that the park will be back open from tomorrow (Tues 22nd)."

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  13. hari Jones

hari Jones Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if rusty and yuki are still at the park or have they moved to other collections because when I last went yana and red were in the back enclosure together and the cubs well not cubs anymore were in the drive thru but that was in early November I haven't been since so it would be great of someone would reply

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  14. zoosafari123

When I went last weekend, all four tigers were present however they were all in separate enclosures from one another.

Pantherinae and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  15. Jedd Cullinan

16. hari Jones

Great to hear she's still going strong however my heart dropped for a second when Kevin said her health had declined slightly but luckily he said it was nothing serious and also the project sounds very good for the future of Asian elephants in the wild

17. hari Jones

Does anyone know how the koala breeding season this year is gonna go this year because violet obviously isn't ready to breed again because she has a baby so maisie is the only female without a baby so do you think she'll be partnered with Dennis or burke because if think they partner her with Dennis again

18. Harrison

Harrison Member

19. Rajang-GOAT

Rajang-GOAT Well-Known Member

I believe that the koalas are separated into 2 male and female pairs, so I guess it is Violet and Burke, and Maisie and Dennis. I think they will probably keep the pairs as they are unless they deem it necessary to introduce Maisie to Burke to increase the chances of offspring from her.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. hari Jones

I mean in animal park summer 2020 when the keepers introduced burke to the girls he tried to mate maisie and she was having absolutely none of it