Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Safari Park News 2022

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 17 Jan 2022.

1. zoosafari123

zoosafari123 Well-Known Member

Hi all, went today and had an amazing visit. For once, all the carnivores were active.

Some notes from my last few visits:
    - Lemur walk through still closed
    - Think Red and Yana the tigers may be back together as 2x tiger in the main drive through, then two in two separate drive pasts
    - Crowned cranes are back in the vulture aviary on the safari drive with the secretary birds moving back to their old enclosure on foot near the longhouse
    - Brush-tailed bettong are now at koala creek
    - Only 1 mara left, living in the right hand side anteater enclosure with the adult anteater back together on the left
    - Hamish the short clawed otter has passed away so the remaining female has been mixed back with the Binturong
    - Second binturong indoor enclosure still under maintenance
    - Red panda male Koda has moved from the boat enclosure to be paired up with Maya in Monkey Temple, Koda's brother Lionel still at boat enclosure may be with a new female not 100% sure
    - There's only 1 Tree porcupine as the female sadly died last year (not sure when)
    - As reported previously the six banded armadillo have moved to Jimmy's Farm
    - The former right hand side armadillo enclosure is now an aviary, not sure what will be moving here Kinkajou maybe? Prehensile tailed porcupine perhaps?
    - Old Butterfly/Mammal House is missing half it's roof not sure if that was storm damage or not as it was getting redeveloped anyway with a keeper telling me the prehensile tailed porcupines won't be going back there
    - 1x Hyrax back living with the Fennec Fox. If you watched Animal Park, it's the uncle of the babies
    - Only 10 wallabies at Family Farmyard left, apparently many were elderly so have died. There were around 20 18months ago...
    - Also I haven't seen the great white pelicans in around a year or so (they were the far end of the lake) and they aren't in the guide book. Maybe they have been moved on?
    - Koala joey is looking well and growing fast!

Last edited: 5 Mar 2022
    hari Jones, JamesB, Jambo and 5 others like this.
  2. hari Jones

hari Jones Well-Known Member

Sad news about Hamish hopefully sumalee is doing OK on her own what happened to aj the original male red panda are the bettongs mixed with koalas or are they in a separate enclosure also did you see xena the cheetah is she still at the park or has she moved to another collection

3. zoosafari123

I'm awful at identifying specific animals so can't help you with Xena. I saw 4 cheetah today in total and 7 a couple of weeks ago. That doesn't mean anything though. AJ sadly passed away around a year or so ago. The bettongs are mixed with the koala.

4. hari Jones

Perhaps the pelicans at the bottom of the lake are hidden away because of bird flu because I saw them last time i went

zoosafari123 likes this.
  5. hari Jones

Also according to ztl the park should still have them

zoosafari123 likes this.
  6. hari Jones

I thought the vulture aviary was going to be the secretary birds permanent home because the segment on animal park summer 2020 when it showed their move to the vulture aviary they said that Kevin and janine had outgrown their home on the foot safari

7. zoosafari123

I also thought the same, I was surprised to see them back in their old enclosure.

hari Jones likes this.
  8. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There only one White Pelican left, it’s with the Pink-backed Flock

9. hari Jones

What happened to the rest of the flock

10. Boxy

Boxy Member

Tiger update -
    Yana and Yuki are together, however sometimes Yana doesnt want to go into the drive through, so occasionally they will be separate. Red and Rusty are kept separate. I believe there are no current plans to breed Red and Yana.
    Xena is still currently at the park, she is mixed with mum (Wilma) and dad (Carl, castrated).
    Lion update -
    The park still has 25 lions in different groups. I believe ages range around 17 to 9 years old.

11. hari Jones

I'm taking the two 17 year old are malaika and jaseera and also speaking of malaika and jaseera I remember seeing them since they were around 6 months old together in the same pride because malaika is in Harry's pride and jaseera is in simba and klaus's pride is they're reason why their in different prides now

12. Megan Jones

Megan Jones Well-Known Member

the pride had a massive power struggle when yendi died and it was best to separate into two groups.

13. Megan Jones

weren’t there 26 lions, do we know who has passed ?

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  14. hari Jones

Harry's mum and aunt nikita and Kimya moved to dartmoor in early 2019 and nikita passed away last year of renal failure not sure if kimya is still around

And you also had jaseera's mother luna who was yendis sister passed away at the end of 2015 I belive of heart disease
    And yendi passed away in 2014 of stomach cancer

15. Megan Jones

there were 26 at the last public count , four bachelors , 9 in harry’s pride and 13 in the big pride

16. hari Jones

Oh yes of course I forgot about the 4 boys are they the ones who apparently live opposite the hippo field

17. Boxy

Boxy Member

Malaika and Jasira are doing really well. I believe the reason they were split was when Malaika had her last litter of cubs with yendi and sweetpea (who had cubs around the same time), they originally tried to reintroduce all the lions back together. However it didnt work and it was decided they would be split into 2 prides. However since then klaus and simba pride had to be split again due to lioness picking on lower ranking members.
    From what I've been told, one of the 4 boys became ill and his health declined rapidly.

Megan Jones likes this.
  18. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pride A
    Harry's pride: 1:8

Malaika (17yrs),Pepper (16yrs) Sweet Pea (16yrs) all Sisters.
    Betty, Beryl, Neo, Eve(aka Little E possibly?) unsure when these were born. I'm missing one female but don't know who.

Pride B
    Jassera - 0:1 born 2005
    Simba - 1:0 born 2011
    Klaus - 1:0 born 2011
    Nala - 0:1 born 2011
    Nyota - 0:1 born 2011
    Tanya - born 2011
    Zuri - 0:1 born?
    Enzi - 0:1 born 2011
    Kink - 0:1 born 2011
    Sylvester - 1:0 born 2011
    Kianya - 0:1 born 2011

There are 2 more but unsure who they are.

There was an all male pride that contained

Jumba
    Toby
    George
    Dandy
    Ghost
    However on last years Animal Park Jumba had an injury to his tail that had to have surgery and he was released back into the big pride.

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  19. hari Jones

Wasn't there one called Little jazz or was that what the keepers nicknamed jaseera

20. hari Jones

Also you missed Lil A In Harry's pride