Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by orang09, 6 Jan 2008.

Tags:
  1. orang09

orang09 Well-Known Member

How many litters has kabir had i know of two

luna :

1 female malika

Yendi :

1 female jassira

but i heard that the lioness had another litter each , what sex were they , names , how many cubs etc

now kabir has moved zoos i woundered how many cubs he had at longleat

many thanks

2. skoop102

skoop102 Well-Known Member

3. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was amazed when I heard Kabir had moved on to Newquay - it doesn't seem long at all since he first arrived at Longleat.

BTW, if you're interested in Longleat, try and watch the new series of Animal Park that started today on BBC2, weekdays at 6pm. The new tigers were on today, well, they're certainly very wild!!! :D

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I would really like to know Kabirs age as he was an adult when he first arrived at PL, I saw him there in 1987 and hes still going strong, There is a pic of him in the gallerys.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What? Kabir at Newquay? He wasn't at Longleat that long- I wonder why he has been moved after fathering cubs and establishing a pride of his own at Longleat.. Seems a bit cruel to move him again. I guess he'll be put in a non-breeding situation at Newquay- maybe he was just chosen to replace their previous male?

I wonder if Port Lympne okayed this move?

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kabir being a lion of Barbary blood, what the .. is he doing in a mixed hybrid lion pride at all?

I really think that zoos and safari parks should invest more effort in trying to establish pure-bred lion groupings in European zoos. A step in the right direction would be an association with field researchers in situ. Surplus or non-releasable and orphaned lions might be used to set up pure-bred lion groupings.

The species in the wild is now listed as Vulnerable with the best calculated guesstimates coming to 47,000-29,000 lions in all Africa. The Asian ssp persica is Critically Endangered at 300-250 individuals, the West African lion sub-groups are now listed as Endangered (estimates of 1163-850).

So, they are in dire need. :eek:

Same now counts for another large vertebrate - the common hippo (125,000-140,000 with in 50% big population declines in the last decade -! :mad:

7. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

It does a seem a bit stupid that he's breeding with lions that arent the same sup-species as him

8. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Saw Kabir in Newquay on the 26/12/2007 he looked in brilliant health and had settled in great with the female already their.

9. orang09

orang09 Well-Known Member

thats gd to hear perhaps on the series we will find out y he moved perhaps they was a fight ? group spilt ? etc

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Because I don't think they really take Barbary Lion breeding that seriously. Kabir was surplus at Port Lympne- so he needed to be moved. At Longleat he just became a 'Lion' as they have no 'Barbary' breeding project there. I think its odd he's been moved on again, but Newquay's last male I think also came from Longleat as a replacement for the previous/original one. He'll be well looked after but that's not the point...:confused:

11. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

Is the male lion 'Mafui' still at Longleat? I remember one pride was split into two when Kabir arrived. Has this pride been merged again or were the older lions shipped out to other zoos?

Is 'Kadu' the old tiger integrated with the younger 3 tigers or is she kept seperate now due to her old age?

12. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

not sure about the lions, but i dont think kadu is still alive sadly

13. jackyboy

jackyboy Member

i have been face to face with kabir in the lion house at longleat when i went on the vip tour in 06 and he looked in great health

he is stunning#

i wonder wht male will replace him and what happend to mafui sp the old male lion as he was 13 when i visited last

14. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

There is a photo of Kabir in the gallery :)

15. AnimalParkFanXD

AnimalParkFanXD New Member

Kabir

Sadly, in 2008 Kabir had to be put to sleep because of a broken leg.:(:(:(:(