Join our zoo community

Looking for T A Strauser

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mohan, 11 Jun 2016.

1. Mohan

Mohan New Member

Hello folks. Hope someone can tell me about TA...hopefully himself!

I was part of the original Zoo Design team in the mid '70's and enjoyed working with him in the shack on Key Biscayne beach. We were five 'creatives' chosen by TA - and awarded a lower-than-average wage - to join him on this amazing adventure. Alice, Thiel, myself and another chap (can't remember his name just now) shared TA's vision and had a books-worth of adventures in making this zoogeographic wonder happen. I know TA had done some exhibits for the San Diego zoo prior to coming to Miami but do not know where he went from there. I moved to New York and then to London so have lost the trail.

Hope to hear from you, TA!
    And yes, one person on this thread correctly noted that the 'layering' of the paddocks was TA's original plan. We researched how to keep the animals safe and contained by ascertaining the depth and width of each moat according to the animal's capabilities; this would give a most natural view of the critters which might well share the same plain.

The Tiger Temple was another original and TA's pet project; we were all jealous that he kept that idea for himself! I got European Brown Bears (eh) amongst others but came up with the Lemur Island outline plan and got the length and number of 'trees' badly wrong, with excited Lemurs building up momentum and escaping. Wonderful job.

2. Mohan

Mohan New Member

TA was at the Miami Dade Zoo

Managed to forget to point out early on in my post.