Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Lord Howe stick insects return home

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 10 Dec 2008.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Rare 'land lobsters' returned to Lord Howe Island - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    there's a video on the link too

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Good. It's always good to read about practical zoo-assisted conservation work, and not read the spin most zoos put on a single captive breeding.

:)

Hix

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree ... It puts the spotlight on the value zoos have in wild species management and recovery efforts. Zoos can quickly augment the wild populations by breeding up to a level where re-releases are applicable if species negative conditions for their extinction or removal have been met.

I look forward to further news regarding the eradication of their main predator species - the rat - from their island habitat. I suppose that will not happen before another 2 years or so (given that rat eradication has to be thorough and followed up 6 mo. or so other the initial effort).

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Luckily, we have New Zealand as a neighbour, and their Department of Conservation (I think that's what it's called) are the world's experts in pest eradication on islands.

:)

Hix

5. Chlidonias

New facts revealed about rare stick insect - New Zealand news on Stuff.co.nz

6. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

A major issue is that the human residents of Lord Howe Island aren't keen on having the insects back. Some have threatened to kill all the animals if they are released. And a few oppose the eradication of rats on the island as well, citing concerns for the wellbeing of seabirds and woodhens that ma be affected by the poisons.

9. Chlidonias

have you got a link relating to the stick insect part of your post? Why would they be opposing stick insects? I'd like to have a read of that.

10. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Hi Chlidonias. the information came from a great book called phasmid by rothan cleve

Phasmid, Rohan Cleave and Coral Tulloch, 9781486301126
    basically people don't like them. they have stories from previous generations about them getting into houses noisy dirty etc. I think too that because the idea of reintroduction came from mainlanders there was an element of how dare they tell us what to do etc.
    the book is an excellent read and covers it more thoroughly. Get hold of it if you can