Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Los Angeles Elephant Sanctuary

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 21 Oct 2008.

1. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

New home for Los Angeles Elephants may become delayed once again:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_10770872

A city councilman has proposed to halt construction on the new elephant exhibit and build an off-site elephant facility nearby that would be managed by the zoo itself.

mstickmanp, would you be able to elaborate on this new proposal?

2. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Wow, that's weird. I was at the zoo on Saturday and I heard that a meeting took place the week before were they are planning for Billy to finally be move to a portion the new exhibit by the end of the month. I don't know any more info, and this is the first time I hear about it.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2008
  3. mstickmanp

I foudn another article on LA Times with a video:

L.A. councilman wants to ban elephants at zoo - Los Angeles Times

The funny thing is that the councilman says that nothing has been built and all that has happened is grading and leveling, which is not true because the zoo is actually ready to move Billy by the end of the month on to the portion of the exhibit that is finished. The portion of the exhibit that is finished is already a big upgrade for Billy which is 2 times bigger than the current exhibit.

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I don't really know why the Los Angeles Zoo has become so intent on building the $40 million elephant exhibit when it's caused them nothing but bad publicity and grief in all of the local and international papers. Would zoo attendance be affected at all whether there were or were not elephants at the zoo? Zoos have proven in the past that when they stop exhibiting elephants there is zero difference in visitor numbers, but by keeping elephants there is nonstop abuse from animal rights groups, celebrities and politicians. I would personally just cut my losses if I was a zoo director and encourage the decision to stop showcasing animals that always suffer in captivity.

The Los Angeles Zoo's upcoming elephant habitat might be spectacular (and hopefully it is impressive as it's costing a small fortune) but in the next 20 years it will become outdated and then eventually critics will bash it in terms of its size and structure. Rather than have mammals in the collection that will gain foot ulcers and become bored and listless, why not avoid the terrible press that elephants in zoos attract and scrap the plan altogether? The animal rights activists and other organizations would be impressed, attendance would not decrease, and no more elephants would be in empty paddocks rocking from side to side. Instead of a handful of injury-prone pachyderms why not build a small mammal building that houses hundreds of animals? Or the L.A. Zoo should fix up several of their outdated enclosures before embarking on a brand new exhibit. Perhaps they could finally buy some golden monkeys...hahaha.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is a sad thing that a LA councillor is advocating the shutting down of the building work for the new elephant exhibit. It is like saying half way to building your next Sydney Opera House that ... well guys and girls it was nice while it lasted ... but would it not be a better idea to let us develop a childrens play area here instead! Says a lot about some politicians, their level of professionalism and their flagrant consumer-clientelism .... pffft!

I am the last person to say that the new elephant exhibit at LA Zoo was the ultimate priority for the zoo. But since it is now in the advanced stages of building and development, I really think we need to follow through.

Perhaps, you proud US men and women can give us the lowdown on what LA Zoo really needs. Does it have a clear outlook and policy? How do the current exhibits and geographical areas mix and is that reflective of a collection plan and a masterplan (I have just seen some 5-6 new exhibits to be build from the capital funds)? :confused:

6. okapikpr

I believe the councilman is refering to the new elephant barn that has yet to be built yet, I believe. They have really only completed the basic infrastructure and one of the yards, right?

7. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

In 20 years I doubt the elephant exhibit in LA will be outdated and have unhealthy elephants.

Going back to what you said Snowleopard I much rather see a nice elephant exhibit then a large small mammal house. And I also don't get why zoos would want to please animal-rights activists. They are just extreme people who don't know what they're talking about and don't have any evidence to back themselves up. I don't understand why LA would halt construction on such an amazing exhibit and besides the exhibit is half-way done-- why stop there.

8. BlackRhino

I just looked at that article and it really makes me mad. I am so sick of people going back to what has happened in the past saying x amount of elephants failed to reach the age of 20. Yes, that why the LA Zoo is building there large elephant exhibit so that elephants in captivity don't have to suffer from arthritis and so they can have a happy life where they have a longer life-span. If in elephant is given an adequate exhibit it will live much longer than if it is living in a dust-bowl. Thats why so many elephants have suffered at the LA Zoo, but they won't anymore because of the new exhibit which is why it makes no sense to halt construction on this world-class exhibit.

9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

It is rare (but not unheard of) that zoos want to follow the PETA and IDA people. That's why those groups are using politics wherever a City Council has a say in a zoo (San Francisco, Dallas, L.A.). There seems to always be some councilperson ready to stand with them before the cameras. And several "celebrities". So I assume that the only response must be political. If it doesn't serve the politicians to attack zoos, they won't. Celebrities are harder to control.

10. okapikpr

I dont necessarily think zoos are pleasing the animal-rights groups, but more trying to remain on good terms with the politicians that determine policies that will affect the zoo, who are being heavily influenced and lobbied by animal-rights groups.

Because the zoo is owned by the city and the city manages most of the money financing the elephant project. There is a seperate city commission to oversee the zoo's improvements financed by the city. If the city government doesnt want an elephant exhibit built, they wont allow the zoo to build an elephant exhibit.

11. BlackRhino

So the LA Zoo is closing their elephant exhibit for sure or they will continue their construction?

12. okapikpr

Its only one councilman who is proposing the change...he needs to get the proposal passed by the whole Los Angeles City council. Im sure there will be plenty of hearings and public meetings before a vote will be brought...think about the process for the failed San Francisco Zoo Sanctuary proposal.

13. BlackRhino

I really hope the sanctuary does not pass because the Pachyderm Forest will truly be a great elephant exhibit. Obviously the current elephant exhibit is going to cause all kinds of problems like foot ailments and arthritis because it is small and lacks an enriching environment. The new exhibit would be much more enriching then the current elephant exhibit.

14. okapikpr

I think the "sanctuary" will be great, especially if they are allowed to bring in females and breed. Plus the zoo gets more acreage, and the possible chance to develop the large off-site property for other large mammals and the condors. They may be able to use the proposed zoo elephant space for other large mammals or house male elephants.

More space = more holding for animals = increasing numbers of captive population = possible better genetic diversity! To maintain a captive elephant population, there will need to be a significant increase in holding space for the elephants (which is growing every year).

15. BlackRhino

Yes, but it would be really bad if every zoo proposing a new elephant exhibit followed this trend.

16. okapikpr

Why would it be bad?

17. BlackRhino

Because Zoos would not have elephants anymore.

18. okapikpr

Zoos would still have the elephants, they would just be at the zoo's larger facility...like San Diego's Wild Animal Park or London's Whipsnade. The concept would be great for smaller urban zoos that cant commit the space for breeding elephants.

19. BlackRhino

Not all zoos have larger facilities and most of the new elephant exhibits being constructed are going to be amazing.

20. mstickmanp

As of right now, all that i've heard from the news is that LA zoo held a news conference infront of the new exhibit and they said that they will continue with the plan of finishing the portion of the exhibit and to move Billy there by the end of the month. Of course everything could change in a matter of hours. I've also heard that the mayor of LA is not in favor of the sanctuary, so who knows what will happen.