Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Los Angeles Zoo Map

Discussion in 'United States' started by Shirokuma, 12 Nov 2010.

1. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Mountain Tapirs are namely being phase-out because they compete for the same space in zoos as the other tapir species. TAG officials realized that there is not enough space in North American zoos for 4 species of tapir. Therefore they chose to recommend that the lowland tapir (most common in wild) and the mountain tapir (while not common, it had the least possibly chance of future success than the other species in captivity).

The lowland anoa has a very different story. Very few lowland anoa actually exist in North American zoos (maybe 15 ind. max?). The remaining exists in private hands where their numbers are bolstered by the interest on of private facility. For a population originating from a small founder base to become successful. Its important to be able to hold a large amount of individuals.

Unfortunately there really isn't enough space in US zoos for 300 tapirs.

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems sad that some of the larger zoos don't take it upon themselves to become "hubs" for tapir breeding and conservation. It looked like the LA Zoo was going to do this for mountain tapir at one point, but it obviously isn't going to happen now.

3. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

Here is a partial list of animals at the los angeles zoo back in 1992, the year that i was born, Mammals only for now

Saiga
    Elds deer
    Giant eland
    Chamois
    Rocky mountain goat
    Dalls sheep
    Nyala
    Sable antelope
    Leopard
    Caracal
    Gelada baboon
    Tasmanian devil
    Polar bear
    Sloth bear
    Spectacled bear
    Siberian tiger
    Capybara
    Gaur
    Axis deer
    Chinese water deer
    Hartmanns mountain zebra
    American bison
    Wolverine
    Black footed cat

does anybody have any other species in mind ???

4. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

@ Cat-Man regarding mountain tapirs ( tapirus pinchaque) in europe here is a list of 6 european zoos that used to have them

Berlin Zoo
    Frankfurt Zoo
    Leipzig Zoo
    Stuttgart Zoo
    Paris Zoo

I hope this helps

5. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looks like circa 1990 or early 90's. That is when I first started going back to the zoo as an adult and that is what the layout was like. Interesting that 77 is listed as future desert bighorn, which never happened (I believe that is where turkomen markhors are and I believe bighorns are in the enclosure labelled empty on this map).

7. DavidBrown

This looks almost exactly like the zoo was when I moved to LA and started visiting the zoo in 1997. The chimp exhibit says "future expansion", so it looks like it was probably shortly before they started any construction. I think the chimp exhibit was heavily under construction in 1997 so maybe this is from 1995-1996?

Last edited: 17 Feb 2013
  8. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

I would agree with AZ as circa early 1990s. A few giveaways would be an empty exhibit space 82, which has housed American Black Bears for many years, and space 88 still listed as showing Gaur; long gone from being exhibited here and later occupied by our first Sumatran Rhino in the 90s. And with the Opening of Chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains in 1998, that project had land cleared and construction started by the mid 90s, which obviously hadn't begun according to the map in question.

My conclusion, at least 1990, the opening of World of Birds Show thanks to a generous gift from Nestle but probably prior to 93. 1993 saw the remodeling of the tiger exhibit, now know as Tiger Falls but not indicated on the map.

9. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I wish I would have been able to see the zoo before the master plan kicked in.

10. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I found some images for a possible new map for the LA Zoo from the same company that also created the San Diego Zoo's map. These maps have nice aesthetics but do not accurately illustrate most of the Zoos' collections nor the enclosures.
    LA Zoo:LA ZOO
    Full Gallery:Visual Maps's Portfolio

11. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I like the new map. Even if it's emphasis is perhaps too much on visual effects, the old one was dire, IMO

12. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry it took so long haha, but here is that map (front and back)

Attached Files:

13. GFgomez

GFgomez Well-Known Member

That Also use to be a bear exhibit when the zoo first opened . I believe sun bears for a Short time

14. Cat-Man

Looks like the symbols on these maps were African elephants - could anybody confirm?

15. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Regardless of what the symbols look like, the zoo did have both African and Asian at this point in history.

Cat-Man likes this.
  16. Cat-Man

Thanks Ituri

Ituri likes this.
  17. DavidBrown

At the time of this map there were two female African elephants, Billy the Asian male, and an Asian female. By the time the current Asian elephant exhibit opened in 2010, only Billy was still alive.

Cat-Man likes this.
  18. Cat-Man

Thanks David.

I'm glad to see Rhinos return to the zoo. When I visited in 2019 that area of the zoo felt quite empty, and when I returned in 2022 there were no bears and no hippos - even more empty!

Obviously this was tempered by the mountain tapir, but most people probably don't appreciate that!

19. DavidBrown

Yes, there are several parts of the zoo that are starting to feel empty - the old lion exhibit, the old bear exhibit, the old children's zoo. I expect that some of this is in preparation for these areas being torn down and replaced with new projects from the new master plan. The timing for this is unknown though, and so this is a period of some of the zoo being desolate.

Cat-Man likes this.
  20. Cat-Man

It certainly feels like that. The Rhinos will go someway to helping this but I can only assume there will be no new lions until there is a new exhibit for them.