Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Los Angeles Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by Blackduiker, 21 Feb 2015.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Is the rhino likely to go on display at LA, or will this more be a quarantine stop for him?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

where was this publicly confirmed anyway? I have just been looking and can't find anything.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That would be more or less confirm Cincinnati has opted for a more realistic approach to Sumatran rhino breeding and has set its sights on perspectives locally.

Wonder - if found to be true - whether the yard in Cincinnati will be used for the other rhino species in their care? :confused:

Re: the Baja California pronghorn calves. Two sets of twins?
    Any info on the breeding family at all?

4. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not much has been said about the move as of yet, so I do not know. If I were to assume (and you know what they say about those who do so!), I would say that it's just a quarantine stop, but I'd love to be proven otherwise! I'd love for more people to be able to see and appreciate him and his species while they can!

The zoo confirmed it in an answer to a comment on their Facebook page.

In the mean time, at least, this will not be the case. The Sumatran rhinoceros yards will be home to two South American species: capybaras and another, which, as of yet, has not been publicly confirmed.

5. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The last Sumatran rhino at the LA Zoo lived behind the scenes before he went back home to Sumatra. I would assume that the same probably would be true of Harapan.

6. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Actually, Andalas was on exhibit before being sent to Sumatra. Harapan was the last Sumatran rhino at the zoo, and he lived behind the scenes when he came from White Oak before being sent back to Cincinnati.

7. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I meant then that Harapan was never on exhibit at the LA Zoo and likely won't be again. I didn't realize that he was the one who had been behind the scenes in LA earlier.

8. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Harapan was at the zoo for a year or two when he came from White Oak. That is the rhino that was behind the scenes before being sent back to Cincy. Now he is coming back before being sent to Sumatra.

9. Chlidonias

yes, so you said on the Cincinnati thread. But Facebook is a big place. I was really wanting to know where and what it actually said so I could look at it myself.

10. Kudu21

My apologies for not being more specific! The zoo posted a link to the blog entry on their new studies on iron storage disease, and someone commented below the link asking if a date for Harapan's departure to Los Angeles was set yet; the zoo replied saying that date has yet to have been set.

11. Chlidonias

thanks. That is where I had assumed the comment would be, but when I looked at the time I saw your original post on the Cincinnati thread (and now when I looked again) there are only three comments below the link, none of which mention anything like that. I also opened the link itself and the comments below the blog do not include anything either (although they do include a cut and paste of your post from the Cincinnati thread on Zoochat (post #40)).

12. Kudu21

You're right! It appears that neither comment is there anymore... Perhaps it was not meant to be known yet, then...

13. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nice going!:D No I'm joking but let's just say this information was not meant to be released yet, this move had already been announced back in 2013 by Dr. Terri Roth when she discussed his return, so even though this is considered big news, it is predictable news and I hope no one is surprised by this. I only wish that the zoo will keep Harapan until at least May 1 when I come back to Cincinnati from school.

14. Kudu21

Woops! Don't shoot the messenger! It was a slip up on the zoo's PR department's part, not mine ;):D haha!

Well, of course, at that time Suci was still alive and they were working to bring in a male to breed with her, so, of course, Harapan would only be kept at the zoo as a necessary precaution until the male could be sourced. Of course, after Suci's death the plans were shattered, and Harapan's furure was really up in the air at that point. Though, of course, I can't say that it was unpredictable, by any means. Anyone who knew much of the situation could've seen it coming from the time of Suci's death. It is, however, still big news because it is the end of an era.

And I'm with you there! I'm hoping to get down to the zoo and see him a few times before his departure. I'm assuming that it won't be too soon, as I would imagine there are many more people who would also like the chance to say goodbye to him, as he and his entire family really captured the hearts of the entire city.

15. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

16. jpc323

jpc323 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Two bits of exciting news:

There's a new snow leopard on display in the exhibit that's been housing the young jaguar pair for the last two years. A sign was up for it Monday, but the leopard didn't seem to be in the enclosure yet. It was mighty sleepy today and content to stay on its platform, but I've attached a (crappy) pic of the tail.

Also: a volunteer revealed to me today that the giant otters had a second litter of babies a couple of weeks ago. Considering the success the zoo had with the first batch, they must be thrilled.

Attached Files:

17. jpc323

jpc323 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow, I'm surprised - it's mostly a big patch of dirt right now. They either need a lot more plants or time for what's there to grow in.

18. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. Oddernod

Oddernod Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looks like you and I both had the same concern, and the recently posted article seems to have addressed it:

"Completed in March, its opening was delayed to allow its grass to grow."

20. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

The grass is growing, the pool and waterfall are looking splendid, and the habitat has been beautifully landscaped. I visited the zoo today and was awed by the contrast of quite barren, during my last visit, to the beautiful habitat I had the pleasure of viewing today. Fantastic job! I am in the process of uploading numerous photos.