Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Los Angeles Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by SharkFinatic, 9 Jan 2019.

1. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't know. So the extinction of this species, in zoos at least, is simply expected?

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are no Mountain Tapirs anywhere outside of LA, Cheyenne Mountain (I think), and Colombia. The main issue is that Colombia doesn't want to export any of their animals for some reason.

~Thylo

3. AmbikaFan

Perhaps they are waiting to have a sole monopoly, rent them to us for $1 million a year, and keep all offspring.... Sorry, I have little patience with those who don't cooperate for essential causes....

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. African Grey

African Grey Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. ThylacineAlive

Great Argus likes this.
  6. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. ThylacineAlive

I'm going to guess they're phasing out their bird collection.

~Thylo

8. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

I’ve been to the LA Zoo twice this week and wanted to know if anyone knows anything about the jaguar couple at the zoo? I couldn’t find them at all on both trips although there was some dense vegetation compared to my last visit prior which was 1 year ago.

9. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are no currently breeding mountain tapirs left in the US. All but one current tapirs (5 at LA, 2 at CMZ) are related and the only unrelated female, Carlotta at CMZ, is too old to breed. There are no plans to import more animals. So the result is inevitable. Sad as the species was fairly prolific in the 80s and 90s from the records I looked at.

It’s about cost/benefit. With the zoo populations so low, it is better to fund conservation efforts monetarily, and send researchers to the tapir’s natural habitats rather than import a small number of animals that take up a lot of exhibit space better used for a more sustainable species. One issue with mountain tapirs in zoos is that not a lot of zoos participated in breeding programs even in the species hay day. I can only think of LA, CMZ, San Diego, and San Francisco that really did any work with the species. When other zoos started phasing them out, the space for animals became limited and US zoos actually started shipping animals back to South America! It’s unfortunate but we should be looking at US zoos as the culprits for the loss of mountain tapirs, not their native countries for not wanting to support a failing program.

AbileneBoy, Goura and AmbikaFan like this.
  10. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My experience with seeing the jaguars is hit and miss. Sometimes one is walking right past the window, but frequently they manage to hide as you experienced. My best luck seeing them has been in the morning.

ThylacineAlive and StoppableSan like this.
  11. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The LA Zoo attempted to get mountain tapirs imported from Colombia for several years. I remember from reports in zoo newsletters from the late 90s and early aughts that zoo staff made trips to Colombia to try and get a mountain tapir program started. I don't have any insight to why it did not happen, but genuine attempts were made.

StoppableSan and AmbikaFan like this.
  12. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’s cool to hear. I’m sure there were many roadblocks to make a deal to bring in more tapirs. Those roadblocks have probably continued to today which is why there hasn’t been another attempt in years. Really sad. They’re one of my favorite animals to see. I’ll just have to enjoy the time they have left here.

13. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Its sad to see the slow phase-out of mountain tapir, yet given that AZA currently has 2 tapir ssp that are not sustainable it is a wise decision.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I continue arguing for reseeding in country ex situ move to Colombia, Peru and other Andino range states for any remaining US mountain tapir rather than a slow death long drawn out phase out that is only a math's exercise and contravenes any conservation breeding ethic. I do recognise only space availability for 2 tapir species. Just this way is nonsensical cynicism.

Goura and nczoofan like this.
  15. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are there zoos in Colombia, Peru oder other andean states exhibiting mountain tapirs already?

16. African Grey

17. AmbikaFan

It may not be coincidence that Board President Karen Winnick wanted to ensure a quorum for August's meeting and put members on the spot to promise their
    attendance. This month's meeting will fall hot on the heels of the World Elephant Day protests, and she had the sense a month ago to prepare for a united front, perhaps intending to make an ironclad show of where the Board stands on Billy's future at the zoo in a matter of mere days now.

18. African Grey

Remembering Inti – Zooscape

This confirms that the zoo has only Bald Uakari left which is a female named Daisy. The male passed away in July. A saki has moved in with the remaining Uakari.

19. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Oh my god I need to make a correction on one of my photos, I swear I thought I saw another uakari that appeared to hide near the base of the tree centered in their exhibit. Thank you for posting this, I will make the correction on my posted pic on the media page, I feel a bit sad now and like a big dumbass

StoppableSan likes this.
  20. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Don't be too hard on yourself, happens to all of us.

Julio C Castro likes this.