Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Los Angeles Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by SharkFinatic, 9 Jan 2019.

1. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Unfortunately I don’t know since I’ve never been to the Cheyenne Zoo which I’d love to go! I forgot to mention I was referring to the LA Zoo since it’s my local zoo I visit once a week :)

2. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I didn’t even notice the mountain Tapir next to the hippos. I can’t believe that those enclosures used to hold rhino’s. I did rush that area though which may mean I missed it, but that part of the zoo is in a really poor state.

When did the LA zoo last keep Rhino’s?

3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1.1, LA should have 4.1 last I heard.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is correct. The ones at LA aren’t super old but all but one remaining in total are from the same pairing so no breeding unless imports which isn’t going to happen.

5. Echobeast

Their last one died last year I believe.

6. Cat-Man

No plans to replace? Probably the only species of megafauna not represented in the collection. That being said, surely it can’t be long before the black bears, tigers and lions get a revamp or are phased out..

7. Julio C Castro

They have looked and found replacements yet they need to make modifications in order to introduce rhinos back to the zoo. Supposedly next year should the the beginning of a total revamp of the whole zoo excluding the recent master plan that was completed a few years ago. It seems that the focus will be different sections of the world to represent the different sections of the zoo, California and Africa will be their biggest revamps and is due for the makeover in the next 8 to 10 years :) The other sections to be completed in the next 20 years would be Asia, Rainforest, World Aviary, Islands, and the Children’s Play Area.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  8. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Actually, from what I heard based on the Vision Plan and one of the Commissions mentions of bringing back Indian Rhinoceros, they’ll have a enclosure next to the Elephant of Asia and possibly access the yards. While the Lions, Tigers, and Bears will all be getting new enclosures.
    Bonus
    The Vision Plan states of Bringing White Rhinoceros for their African Multi-Species Exhibit, and Grizzly Bears since they’re the state mammal having an exhibit right as your enter the zoo by the entrance.

9. Julio C Castro

I’ve been so excited reading the layout for their vision plan and can’t wait to see what happens, hopefully it can boost up the LA Zoo to being one of the best zoos!

10. Thomas

On Sunday, I’ll be there volunteering And give out any changes or news possibly at the Bird Show or since it’s Boo at the Zoo this month, The Boo Bird Show. It’s like the bird show decorated with Halloween decorations and the highlights of that everyone is scared or afraid of extinction of animals, and the focuses on facts on two misunderstood birds associated with Halloween-owl and Vulture. Birds: Eurasian Eagle Owl, Cape Griffon Vulture Sisters (Thelma and Louise), Mortisa the Black Vulture, Sunshine the Andean Condor, and possibly Hope the California Condor.
    Hope’s appearance in the bird show is rare since she’s new, but she’ll make regular appearances soon and people seeing the bird show attendance at increase because they want to see Hope, a real live California Condor, since there aren’t any California Condors on display only in the off-site breeding and rehabilitation complex until the Master Plan California Region, and the only one in the world to be in a free-flight bird show.
    additional notes
    -Red-billed Blue Magpies in the breeding center have their first two chicks born
    -Bornean Crested Fireback Pheasants have a clutch of five chicks born and they share the enclosure with Red-whiskered Bulbuls, Oriental Magpie-Robins, and a Common Hill Myna.
    -Von Der Decken’s Hornbill have their chicks with the female in the nest box with the male gathering food and water, and another Von-Der Decken’s Hornbill from a private owner and has some training, is being part of the bird show maybe they’ll use a Lion King Reference
    -A Barred Plymouth Rock Chicken Rooster named Earl is now part of the Bird show to illustrate the relationship between birds and Dinsoaurs they even played the T-Rex roar and stomping sound effect and music from Jurassic Park.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Now this is interesting. What's the story on her do you know? I thought all California Condor chicks are supposed to be raised as release candidates. Did she end up imprinted on humans?

You might want to clarify that this pertains to LA zoo only, as there are other zoos that still have them on display.

12. Echobeast

13. Thomas

Thanks for clarifying me for that.

14. Thomas

Other news throughout the zoo
    -We have a pair of Lesser Hedgehog Tenrecs as Animal Ambassadors see them if you’re lucky at the Animals & You at the Children’s Zoo Area.
    -There is a white albino Axololt in the caves area with the other Axololts.
    -A Toco Toucan will be joining the bird show soon.
    -The Great Flamingos are moved to live with the Chilean Flamingos, as the Trumpeter Swans are living in their area in the aviary temporally as the Swan exhibit is being renovated.
    -In the LAIR, there is a now a school of Asian Needlefish and a black Philippine Water Monitor Lizard in the Southeast Asian/Australian River Exhibut with the Banded Archerfish, Australian Lungfish, Rainbowfish, Fly River Turtle, Roti Island Snake Necked Turtle, and Mary River Turtle.
    -Tiger Salamanders and Mexican Horner Lizards now live in the damp forest building.
    -There is now a Merten’s Water Monitor Lizard too.
    -In the Desert Lair, there are now Saharan Horned Vipers.
    -A Laughing Kookaburra Exhibit has been built and has two half sister Kookaburras by the Australian Nocturnal House which houses the Southern Hairy-Nosed Wombat who just welcome the first woman’s Joey born at the zoo.
    -The Yellow-Footed Wallaby mob as moved to the center aviary with a Pair of Male Rhinoceros Hornbills as their other exhibit is being used as a second yard for the Southern Cassowary as they plan to breed them.
    -There is a White-headed Buffalo Weaver with the Black-headed Weaverbird colony, Superb Starlings, and Spotted Thick-knees.
    -The Speckled Mousebirds live in the Spur-winged Lapwings.
    -There is a male Roadrunner with the Yellow-Billed Magpie which is from one male to three magpies with the addition of two females.
    -A pair of Vietnamese Pot-bellied Pigs now live in the Muriel’s Ranch in time for the Year of the Pig named Petunia and Pua after the pig from “Moana”.
    -The North American Roundhouse by the Speke’s Gazelles and Babirusa in the desert side a Greater Roadrunner Breeding pair, a pair of Chukar Partridges, and a convey of Endangered Masked Bobwhite Quails and the wetland side now houses Scarlet Ibis, a Sunbittern, A pair of Bufflehead Ducks, and Black-necked Stilt.
    -The African Crowned Eagle now lives in the former African Fish Eagle Exhibit by the Stellar’s Sea Eagle.
    -The Roundhouse by the hippos and bears have the following animals, A pair of East African Grey Crowned Cranes, Binturongs, A pair of Eurasian Eagle Owls(Western Siberian Subspecies), and the Southeast birds (Bornean Crested Fireback Pheasant, Red-whispered Bulbul, Oriental Magpie Robin, and Hill Myna).
    -The Former Water Deer Exhibit now houses a Reece’s Muntjac Deer and there is now a pair of Sarus Cranes next door.
    -The Great Curassow is now joined by the Southern Pudu who had a Fawn named after a Korean pop singer “Nae-chan”.
    -In the Longhouse of the Rainforest of the Americas there is now a tank with Cardinal Tetras, Freshwater Butterflyfish, and a Caiman Lizard.
    -There is a female White-Faced Saki with Daisy the last Uakari Monkey to keep her company.
    -The Crested Orpendola exhibit now has another Sunbittern and White-tailed Jay.
    -The Vine Snake has moved to the lair and now an exhibit of different species of Poison Dart Frogs.
    -The former Keel-billed Toucan exhibit now has a pair of Green Aracaris.
    -African Spoonbills and Violet Turacos have joined the Lower Aviary.
    -The lone Masked Lapwing now has a mate

15. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

This LAIR building already had Mexican Giant Horned Lizards in the past, so I assume they've made a comeback?

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. Thomas

Yep, there was a move for them to the desert lair and their former exhibit now has European Long-nosed Vipers.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  17. Cat-Man

Anybody got a link to the master plan?!i would be interested in seeing it.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Julio C Castro

LA Zoo Vision Plan EIR Here it is, the draft of the vision plan is at the bottom of the page if looking through mobile!

Cat-Man and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. Cat-Man

Thanks Julio, very interesting. What’s the sort of time scale they’re looking at, and what’s next to be built?

20. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Your misfortune of not seeing the echidnas at Bronx will be due to the highly unfortunate fact that they do not have any :p ;)

~Thylo