Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Los Angeles Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'United States' started by African Grey, 12 Jan 2022.

1. African Grey

African Grey Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

They also finally uploaded the Minutes from their November meeting:

https://s36593.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Zoo-Commission-Minutes-11.2021-FINAL.pdf

I share your feelings on the Animal Transactions.

A female Bornean Orangutan was born and a female died sometime in November or December. It's unclear if it was the newborn who passed away, or one of the older females. Bruno, the Hybrid Orangutan whose passing was noted in the 2021 News thread, is identified as simply an Orangutan.

Cleo the serval, who would've been 19 in December 2021, passed away. I believe she was the last remaining serval at the Zoo.

Burgundy the male red-capped mangabey passed away. For those familiar with the mangabeys, he is the one who had vitiligo. I believe he turned 29 in October. This leaves one remaining red-capped mangabey, Valentina, at the Zoo.

The Animal Transactions indicate a male anoa passed away. I thought they only had a female named Bindi.

3. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

I really hope it wasn't the newborn that died but considering they haven't said anything about the birth, I'm assuming it was the baby. But then again they didn't make an announcement about one of the older females dying either so who knows. Eloise is 52 and is definitely on the older side so her passing away wouldn't be very surprising especially since she suffers from a medical condition, cerebral palsy If I remember correctly.

Breeding male Isim was recommended to breed with both Kalim and Gangsa so I wonder who the mother of the baby is... I hope it was Gangsa as she's currently the most genetically valuable female in the SSP population, and if the baby died I hope they try again and she has a healthy baby soon. Two babies around the same time would also be wonderful!

On a side note, do any of the regular zoo visitors know which orangs are kept together? I believe the zoo currently has 6 orangs (Eloise, Rosie, Kalim, Gangsa, Isim, and Elka) and it would be really cool if they are able to keep all 6 together but I doubt it. Also, it would be great if anyone is able to confirm the death of one of the older females or the birth/death of the newborn :)

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

5. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It wouldn't be surprising if it was the baby orangutan that passed away. Eloise does suffer from cerebral palsy, as @Animals R AMAZING! stated, so she is a potential candidate as well. I feel like if Eloise passed it would've been announced by now. If it was a baby that the public didn't know about, however, I wouldn't be surprised if they brushed it under the table.

Regarding the housing situation, I wouldn't be surprised if they all lived together. Eloise might be kept alone or with another female due to her physical disabilities, depending on how the other individuals treat her.

6. jpc323

jpc323 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The only thing I know for sure is at one point the two adult males were housed apart from each other. Now that Bruno has passed, I have no idea.

7. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wait I’m confused about the orangutan situation. Has anyone reached out to the zoo to know if it was the baby that died or not?

9. RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe

RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe Well-Known Member

According to someone in ZooChat, Mara the hippo will be leaving for the Honolulu Zoo this year.

10. RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe

There won't likely be another hippo at the zoo for several years.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

I listened to the Zoo Commission meeting last week for the first time as I was curious whether this would be addressed. They stated that the baby was stillborn and very close to full term. Per what was stated, this isn't unusual for a first time mother (Gangsa) and showed she was capable of getting pregnant, so they seemed hopeful she could get pregnant again, which is promising as Gangsa and her mate Isim were imported from New Zealand. They didn't provide a specific date when the baby was born/died other than it occurred very close to when Bruno the hybrid orangutan passed away.

Kifaru Bwana and IndianRhino like this.
  12. Westcoastperson

Yes we’ve known about this move for quite some time now. It was announced by the Zoo either through a form or social media post.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ah right, you meant LA Zoo without much in pachyderms? When is the hippo move supposed to happen and what will replace them in their current location (better stlll what are they planning for the site)? What about plans for the pachyderm group at LA Zoo within the new masterplan (when will it go LIVE even ....)?

Honolulu Zoo have the space for pair and breeding then (except for a dysfunctional elephant breeding area)?

Conversely, I would personally - off topic here admittedly - favour that the Honolulu Zoo would also export their male black rhino so he might still go on to breed on the North American main continent. They have been totally ineffectual over the entire time they kept a very valuable black rhino breeding pair. Perhaps they could take on one of the other species (either white or Indian).

Last edited: 25 Jan 2022
  14. Kifaru Bwana

LA Zoo kept both black and greater one-horned rhino in the past.

It would be really nice to see LA Zoo go into rhinos once more!

Last edited: 25 Jan 2022
    Cat-Man likes this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

The orang birth and death are somewhat puzzling. Is it known which individual(s) we are talking about.

Correct, on anoa! They originally held only an older female Bindi. It might have been possible they imported a new male from perhaps Rum Creek - which seems to not have lasted that long - (SPECULATION!).

16. Westcoastperson

It was announced in the 2021 thread. Nothing has replaced it so far. The zoo plans on keeping hippos, Greater One horned Rhinos, and an African Rhino species in the future. For better details check the master plan eir on the website.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Kifaru Bwana

Thanks and right, clear for Asian rhinos, for Africans it is a choice between Southern white or East African black. I think the return of Asian rhinos is earlier than you might expect (and certainly way outside the current planning for Zoo Vision). I have some inside info on that, but not the African species though.

The DEIR document is however less good on the details than was the original Zoo Vision Plan which was great (I do not have it ...). It does not let you see the individual exhibits. As such the EIR is not the best reference work and as far as animal species of choice is concerned very few are actually mentioned in the accompanying texts having its focus on environmental impact assessments rather than actual zoo design plans and animal collection strategic planning. I am left none the wiser with it.

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. Kifaru Bwana

19. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Their female Bindi (assuming she's still alive) was born in 2014. Another possibility/speculation is the deceased was a male they owned but was housed at another zoo and his passing was noted as though he lived in LA.

Regarding the orangutans, Gangsa (female Bornean orangutan) had a stillborn baby. The father of that baby was Isim. Gangsa and Isim were imported from Auckland Zoo in New Zealand in November 2015.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe

Honolulu Zoo has just one female hippo. Therefore, Mara will just be a companion to Louise without breeding unless brings in a new male hippo.