Join our zoo community

Sumatran Rhino news thread

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Moebelle, 31 Mar 2014.

1. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes indeed.....

I need to brush up on my Indonesian geography!!

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Never trust in early reports from disaster areas, they are invariably exaggerated.

It seems like the tsunami was actually quite small and didn't penetrate far inland (about a metre-high wave, and went a few tens of metres inland, probably helped by the narrowness of the strait so the wave didn't get the space to build). The reason there have been so many deaths is because of the area it hit, where everything is built right by the water and there is a large population (especially at the moment with the holiday). Hopefully Ujung Kulon is okay - the whole peninsula is pretty much low-lying swampy forest with rivers criss-crossing it - but I think "decimated" will prove to be a massive over-statement.

The Sumatran Rhino sanctuary is well inland, in the forest, and I'm not sure there would have been much in the way of an impact at Way Kambas anyway because of it's location in relation to the strait.

JVM, birdsandbats and ThylacineAlive like this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Good to hear - the reports I had heard suggested the tsunami was higher than that, hence my giving the early reports credence.

4. Chlidonias

It may be, also, that the wave was higher in some areas than others due to the shape of the coast, but all the photos that I've seen show only a narrow strip of damage along the coast so it doesn't seem to have penetrated far inland at all. It looks almost like just a massive surge rather than a full-on tsunami.

My "metre-high" comes from the article below (from a NZ article, from two hours ago) which has a quote from Gegar Prasetya, who is a co-founder of the Tsunami Research Center Indonesia, so he should be a reliable source: "[Prasetya]... said the waves were likely caused by a flank collapse - when a big section of a volcano's slope gives way. He said it's possible for an eruption to trigger a landslide above ground or beneath the ocean, both capable of producing a tsunami. "Actually, the tsunami was not really big, only one metre," said Prasetya, who has closely studied Krakatau. "The problem is people always tend to build everything close to the shoreline."
    Deadly tsunami hits Indonesia after volcanic eruption

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agree, at least in relation to the wildlife, if not the human population. I'm hoping the (Javan) rhinos have not been too badly affected, if at all, though yet again it highlights the continuing vulnerability of their situation.

ThylacineAlive and Brum like this.
  6. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From what I'm seeing, I think they will be OK initially, will depend on how much damage was done to the vegetation. Looks like most of the human death was right on the beach

7. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Despite the reassurance things are fine and my trust in other zoochatters to be better-informed than I am or ever will be on these matters, it certainly poses a horrifying possibility: a particularly massive natural disaster could cause the extinction of not one but both of these critically endangered rhino species. This is obviously something a lot of zoochatters can understand, but we're talking about two fairly large and distinctive animals from a very well-known family, versus the many island species that go mostly unnoticed. It's really an excellent way of showing just how vulnerable these species have become.

8. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

The last few Sumatran Rhinos are spread across three very separate parks. A natural disaster that wiped out all of them doesn't really bear thinking about; almost by definition it would threaten all Sumatran endemics, whether endangered or not.

Also, Sumatra is really big. Twice the area of GB, for example.

9. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you for the clarification; I was a little confused apparently, but thus my note about trusting other zoochatters to know better than me.

I originally included a note in the previous post that I did not necessarily believe such a doomsday scenario was likely or plausible, just that it was something these events made me think about. Don't recall why I struck it out.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  10. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One of the reasons the Javan rhino still exists IS the eruption of the Krakatau, that of 1883 to be precise. From Wikipedia:

kermodei likes this.
  11. Chlidonias

Yes, but that was when the rhino was still common on the island. If a large eruption happened now and wiped clean the peninsula, there would be no more rhinos. Having the entire population located right next to an active volcano is a recipe for disaster.

kermodei, Pertinax, AWP and 1 other person like this.
  12. Pertinax

Also, Sumatrans are more of a highland species so at least some would presumably be out of reach of Tsunamis etc, plus as pointed out, the remainder today are not in just one place, though in some ways being in such scattered populations as they are now, also seems to have worked against them as far as finding partners etc. The dangers for each species seem very different.

JVM and ThylacineAlive like this.
  13. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

AWP and ThylacineAlive like this.
  14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. Omaha92

Omaha92 Active Member 5+ year member

Has there been any updates on Pahu or any talk of when she will move to Way Kambas?

Also in reading the IVF article previously linked here it mentioned that Malaysia has offered to send Tam, to Way Kambas for attempted breeding but the Indonesian government had not responded to the offer. It would be great if Tam could make it there and mate with Ratu, Rosa or Pahu.

EDIT: After a quick google search it appears Pahu will not be moving to Way Kambas but instead is the first rhino of a new sanctuary in Kutai Barat district in East Kalimantan. Would be great to get Tam or Harapan relocated there as well. Source

Wild wolverine and ZooBinh like this.
  16. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd actually prefer if Harapan stayed at Way Kambas, and have to group of animals on Malaysia and Borneo in the new sanctuary. Do you all think that the wild animals should be herded into closer parameters in new national parks for breeding?

17. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If well protected then absolutely.

~Thylo

Wild wolverine and ZooBinh like this.
  18. Pertinax

I believe Tam may be old or infertile now so there is less chance of successful breeding with him. My choice would be to send Harapan- he is not needed at Way Kambas presently and they need to get Pahu pregnant a.s.a.p. (I read somewhere she was known to have a female calf about five years ago but it hasn't been seen recently.) Harapan seems a better option than yet more delay and the faint hope they will capture another male.

19. Omaha92

I would as well. Unfortunately I dont think its really a feasible project with the isolated populations and how difficult it is to track/find the wild rhinos in the first place. With the reproductive issues we have seen due to isolation I think bringing the population together in a few national parks would be a huge benefit.

20. Omaha92

I thought so too but I was reading something regarding the sanctuary in Way Kambas and one of the vets mentioned that low sperm counts were a common trait in Sumatran Rhinos and may not be because of his old age. I think they mentioned that Andalas and maybe Harapan also have low sperm counts. I'll see if I can find the quote somewhere.

But with the lack of cooperation between Malaysia and Indonesia it may not matter much either way in regards to Tam. I agree that Harapan should be sent there a.s.a.p as well. He is basically just providing insurance at Way Kambas as he shares the same genes as Andalas. It would be great if a wild male is captured soon to bring in some new genes as well.