Join our zoo community

Lowland Gorillas in Europe 2020

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Pertinax, 1 Jan 2020.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

{Note from mods - this thread continues from here: Lowland Gorillas in Europe 2019}

Shock news from Krefeld Zoo- Massa & Boma, the two old gorillas which lived in the old Ape house have died along with all the other primates in the building when it was destroyed by fire last night. The main Gorilla group were unnaffected as they live in a seperate enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Feb 2020
  2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is realy terrible news ! Wish Krefeld Zoo all the strength with this heavy loss !

3. Chatt Wolf

Chatt Wolf Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Female Safiri (Duisburg) died on the 9th of February,she was 23.

4. Pertinax

The zoo report that Safiri died under anaethsetic, while being examined for an epileptic condition.

5. Chatt Wolf

33 y/o Zsa-Zsa (Heidelberg) died on April 3rd,due to an intestinal dislocation.

6. Chatt Wolf

Zola (Rostock) gave birth on April 23rd to a male sired by Kwame.

7. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Names of gorillas.
    There has been a gorilla named Mintha. Named after an european sweet.
    There has been a gorilla named Kriba, which sounds like an african language (if one is uncommon with these african languages. There has been a gorilla named Kibabu, and his brother Kibobo. It all sounds like from the equator.
    And what about M'Bewe, Djala (he never lived there), Jumbo (cause he will be jealous meeting a jumbo)?

8. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kriba was named after one of her keepers - Kris Baris. Her half sister, Frala was similarly named after Frank Lambarch.

marmolady likes this.
  9. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. Pertinax

A move which took place a few months ago and went unnoticed by me; on May 20th female Naomi was moved from La Palmyre to Beauval Zoo. Originally moved from Kolmarden, Sweden, she only spent two years in La Palmyre, with presumably no breeding. (I have suspicions current silverback Nyuki at La Palmyre is actually a non-breeder.)

Last edited: 21 Aug 2020
  11. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jungle Man likes this.
  12. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

According to the GorillaLand websitem Mambi one of the Female Gorillas from Kouillou’s group was transferred to Port Lymes sister Zoo Howeletts a couple of days ago on the 8th of September 2020.
    Do any of my fellow Zoochatter’s know if there are any plans to move any of other the Gorilla’s or bring any in from external European animal facilities?

Why have Joshi,Ikebe,Nkoumo and Jouki from Howeletts not joined the newly formed bachelor group at Port Lyme?

@Pertinax do you think that Evindi the adolescent troublesome Gorilla at Longleat Safari Park could join the new bachelor group? Personally I think that this new bachelor group is the ideal place for Evindi.

I hope you are all well and happy

Kind regards The Hedgehog

13. Pertinax

Regarding the young males still at Howletts, I think its a matter of space. The indoor facility in the 2nd bachelor area at PL may be unable to house more than 3-4 males at any one time. Or they may be planning to send them elsewhere, either to another zoo that wants/will take a male group- or for another re-introduction to the wild.. I do not know why, but those are all possibilities.

Regarding Evindi, I think its highly unlikely Port Lympne would want or take him, they have enough males of their own to house. If he is being troublesome at Longleat he'd probably be the same in Kent.

I doubt they will add any more from Europe in the immediate future but no information on that.

14. The Hedgehog

@Pertinax where or what do you think will happen to Evindi if he continues to be troublesome at Longleat? It was said on Animal Park that Evindi was jeopardising the future of the Cohesiveness of the whole group and threatening to displace his elder brother Kesho as leader. Due to thease factors who do you think would move on if it had to happen Evindi or Kesho?

15. The Hedgehog

@Pertinax are there any plans to move your namesake at Paignton Zoo to a breeding family of gorillas? Alternatively could Evindi be moved to join the boys at Paignton? Paignton currently only have 4 gorillas in residence so definitely have the space to cater for Evindi. My thinking is that Evindi could become the group leader at Paignton as unlike the other fellows he was reared by his mum so would probably be a stronger and more dominant Silverback. Incidentally who is the current leading Silverback the last time I heard and visited Paignton Kiondo was in charge with N’Dowe (Endovay) being the lowest ranking.

16. Pertinax

I'm not party to EEP management decisions, but I doubt Pertinax will ever leave Paignton- he is not from a genetically under-presented background.

Regarding Evindi- it is very hard, almost impossible, to successfully introduce unfamiliar adult male gorillas who have not grown up together and then have them live harmoniously. Most male groups are formed either with young related males who know each other , or several young males from different zoos but with one older silverback who dominates them. I don't think Evindi would fit in either the Paignton or PL groups. More likely they will have to keep either him- or Kesho, seperate at Longleat( as they did with Boulas previously)- unless he was sent to join a breeding group somewhere. That is possible though perhaps unlikely.

I don't know the heirarchy in the Paignton males.

17. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What is the total population of lowlands in Europe?

18. The Hedgehog

@Pertinax does this mean that Paignton won’t have anymore gorillas arrive until the current males pass away?

19. Pertinax

That is what I believe will happen, yes. None of those males are genetically priority for breeding so more likely( I don't say definately though) not to be required for breeding. And you can't add much younger males to a group of adults. Sometimes though a decision to move one to a breeding group is made on other grounds(like a fallout between males) though so you can never rule it out.

20. Pertinax

A new male group is under formation at Thoiry Zoo, France.

The males are;

Ayo aged 8 from Gaia Zoo.
    Yebo aged 8 from Givskud Zoo. These two arrived on 17th June.
    Wazungu.(silverback aged 18) from Paira Daiza. Arrived on 4th September.
    Tambo. aged 7 from Krefeld- but not arrived yet.

Chatt Wolf likes this.