Join our zoo community

Zoo Tampa at Lowry Park Lowry Park Zoo News - 2015-2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 8 Jan 2015.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think people were just posting news in the 2015 thread.

3. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

yeah, there was also a female white rhino and a malayan tiger cub born at the zoo recently

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I merged the two threads. There didn't seem any point in having two threads with so little news in each.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. TZFan

8. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo is beginning to renovate multiple parts of the zoo, I visited yesterday and here is what is going on.

The bull elephant yard (Viewed from the tram ride) is being renovated with more space and large sand mounds. Renovations should be done by next week.

The large aviary in Ituri forest is being demolished for a new exhibit (lions?). The remaining 2 birds are temporarily being held in the cheetah exhibit for the time being.

The discovery center in the Florida exhibit is getting completely redone. New species will be added and most species will remain. Renovations should be done by the end of this year.

The manatee hospital is under renovations, I don't quite know what there doing yet.

Arizona Docent and SwampDonkey like this.
  9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

I hope they do not get rid of the shoebill storks, I like those a lot. Discovery Center needed a redo, it is a nice little complex but was time for a change. Lions would be a nice add for Safari Africa though. I'll be there on Sunday and will see if I can get any more info.

10. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree the Discovery Center needed a change. I visited last month and was impressed with their larger collection of hornbills

11. SwampDonkey

No more info to add other than Ituri forest is inaccessible to foot traffic now, the whole section is closed off. Nurse shark aquarium is still closed; how long has it been closed? I haven't actually made it into that area for a while....

12. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

13. SwampDonkey

TPLZ's cheetah has passed. As far as I know this was the only cheetah. I wonder what is to become of the enclosure as this is part of the "Ituri Forest" area under renovation currently as it is.
    Detail

14. TZFan

15. TheAmurTiger

TheAmurTiger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know what happened to baby Penda? I went back in July and I noticed she was visibly absent, even though Penzima, Pixie, and Asante were still on display. She's missing from Lowry Park Zoo's website, too, I get the feeling she died.

I didn't even know Ruuxa had leg problems, she looked fine when I visited back in July, even a little energetic around Roxy and Rex.

The names of the Malayan tiger cub, white rhino calf, and tapir calf are out. The rhino calf is a female named Kipenzi. Her parents are Kidogo and Ongava, she is the fourth calf to the pair, and the fifth calf of Ongava. The tapir calf has been named Tengahari, he is the third calf to Ubi and Albert, their second, Tembikai, still lives at the zoo with the three, I don't know when they'll relocate him. The tiger cub is a female, her name is Berisi. She was born to Bzui and Mata, there was a sibling but it died in infancy.

I don't understand fully why the clouded leopard cubs, Aiya and Shigu, are still at Lowry Park Zoo. Most clouded leopard cubs are relocated at six months old, Malee and Yim were, and I'm pretty sure Mowgli was, too.

Robyn Noel Graham likes this.
  16. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any updates on renovations in the zoo?

17. TheAmurTiger

TheAmurTiger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not sure, but I do have news on the African penguins.

Rocky moved in from Florida Aquarium as a potential mate for Thumbelina. However, anyone who's followed the zoo since the penguins arrived knows that Thumbelina has had four chicks at the zoo in 2011 and 2014 with Flanigain. Chances are, Flanigain has passed away if they feel the need to bring in a new male from somewhere else. If the couple had broken up, they would've also brought a new female for him, or someone would've announced that they had a new pair being made if Flanigain was sent to another zoo or aquarium. Amber's chick is also presumed dead.

Also, a Hartmann's mountain Zebra, Roxy, gave birth to her second foal - Reko. Ruuxa was her first foal, the sire of Reko and Ruuxa is Rex.

18. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

19. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

20. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member