Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo Lubetkin Penguin Pool

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by oflory, 29 Sep 2013.

Tags:
  1. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I was at the zoo yesterday and thinking just what a great waste of space the Lubetkin pool is. My brother, who doesn't visit very often, asked why the zoo didn't net it over and perhaps use it as an aviary.

I can't really see why they couldn't do this. I know that it has a tendency to fill up with water, but could planting and soil fix that? And as for Grade I, they've already put fountain fixtures in, so presumably *some* leeway is allowed?

Does anyone else have any ideas on what they could use this space for?

zoomaniac likes this.
  2. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Some fifty years ago when Lake Nasser was created the Temples of Abu Simbel were lifted, stone by stone, to a site away from the Nile.

Allowing for technological advances, can't some means be found where the damn thing is relocated to Tate Modern , who would doubtless be thrilled to have it?

Last edited: 29 Sep 2013
    StoppableSan and zoomaniac like this.
  3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think that the listed status of the pool prevents it being moved anywhere, even on the same site. It's been mentioned on another thread quite recently. I agree that it serves no purpose on the current site and adding fountain equipment hasn't helped the situation, just drawing more attention to the lack of space in the current zoo.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Nooooo I visit as much to see this and the other architecture as the animals!! It's beautiful, lots of areas at other zoos are taken up with statues, gardens etc but this is a real asset to the zoo. It not only shows how much animal welfare has moved on with the design of enclosures, with a very good example at London with the penguins! But with this and other examples at London, show the different eras of design beautifully as with London itself mixing modern and old.

5. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

It doesn't have any drainage to speak of (obviously! it's a pool) so if they fill it with soil and plant it, as soon as it rains it just turns into a swamp (they tried it once – put the porcupines in there). I thought it would be nice with Koy carp swimming about... but then I remember the herons...

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Manatees... :rolleyes:

Could they fill it right to the brink with soil and then plant trees with strong roots etc to keep the structure of the soil even if it did rain?

7. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

I really think they should stick with water – so you can see the beautiful blue mosaic tiling – it's meant to be a watery thing, that's half its charm. But I don't know what you could put in there that the herons wouldn't find tasty, and that could live happily without vegetation.

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. IanRRobinson

Realistically, there is nothing that can be put there. Those who read my posts will know that I'm by no means an unqualified supporter of the present management of London Zoo, but I do applaud their decision to give the penguins a more naturalistic environment.

It really boils down to whether you think London Zoo is big enough to have a structure of the size of the Lubetkin pool sitting there, doing nothing but please enthusiasts of 1930s architecture.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. canaryboy

canaryboy Well-Known Member

What about turtles?

10. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are plenty of red-eared terrapins that could be kept there.

11. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

That sounds great. I've just been to New York and there's a lake called Turtle Pond in the middle of Central Park which is full of very active turtles, highly visible and entertaining. I don't think herons would like them? Too crunchy??

12. leiclad20

leiclad20 Well-Known Member

Well there must be some drainage in there, otherwise how did they empty to pool to clean it back in its penguin days?

I really fail to see why the roof could not be covered with clear perspex supported by the existing walls, fixed at the top by removeable brackets therefor enot damaging the tops of the walls. Its no different to nailign signage to the side. Then it would be covered at least. Filled with sand/stones, it could house tortoise.

If left as a pool, could the sides at least be covered with plants/soil/bushes and used for rare ducks, or coypu?

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

Well, of course there's a plug hole or two to empty the water out, but soil needs proper drainage or it just gets water-logged. Even a flower-pot-full will turn into mud at the bottom if it's the wrong shape or the hole isn't big enough.

Yes, I wonder if the edges could be planted or at least heaped with rocks and pebbles? I like the turtle idea.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

It's a neat solution. Two unwanted problems combined into an interesting exhibit.

15. IanRRobinson

I doubt if these are ideas that would get past the heritage zealots. When the pool was refurbished in the late 1980s, unattractive wiring placed over the top to deter gulls had to be removed.

I think that you either tolerate it just sitting there, or you investigate a way of moving it to an art gallery or museum. With the North Gate and the Round House London would still have two Lubetkin structures on site.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The base could be quarter filled with pebbles and then the remainder planted up that would be drainage enough as long as someone opened the drain first of course.

But sadly IRR is right jobsworths can't be overcome. My clients have some very odd fixtures on the outside of the bedroom windows of their listed house, they had to put them up when English Heritage found them either in the loft or cellar when viewing the house as my clients started to restore the house and insisted they be placed above the outside of the window frames.
    It was only when some one who knew the house of old called and asked why they had put the bedroom pelmets on the outside of the house the penny dropped, they are still there, testament i suppose to a jobs worth with all the power but without any knowledge or foresight.:rolleyes:

17. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Tim May likes this.
  18. MichaelS

MichaelS Member

Just re-enforces my long felt theories. The two most dangerous 'species' in any zoo; achitects and the general public!!!

KevinB and StoppableSan like this.
  19. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I didn't realise Gerald Durrell had an account on here....

Jambo, TNT, Brum and 2 others like this.
  20. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Gerald Durrell's comment was that the
    two most dangerous animals are an architect and a vetinerary surgeon.

StoppableSan and FunkyGibbon like this.