Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo Lubetkin Penguin Pool

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by oflory, 29 Sep 2013.

Tags:
  1. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But Durrell also employed both!
    Returning to the subject of the Lubetkin penguin pool it is an iconic design and, while the current penguin facility is superior on almost every level, we should remember that penguins were kept, and bred, in the Lubetkin pool for several decades. Provided it is properly maintained I don't see why retaining this classic structure should be regarded as "a waste of space". Whether you like them or not, London Zoo has structures known the world over, and those that have been Listed ought to be respected, but it is difficult to satisfactorily and sensitively adapt them to meet modern requirements, indeed Vienna is one of the few zoos that seems to have consistently met that challenge.

2. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think I'd have an idea for the space... Back when it was first opened, it was a walkthrough attraction where guests could feed the penguins, if I remember correctly. With that said, why not turn it into something in the same spirit as LA's roundhouses? Listed architecture has been modified before, as evidenced by the Casson's outdoor yards.