Join our zoo community

Lucky find!

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by stubeanz, 10 Sep 2010.

1. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I just thought id share my happiness with you...
    I usualy have a look in the local charity shops mostly for the natural history books, ive found some pretty good books before including some books on zoos and zoo history but today i was rooting around and found ...
    London zoo guide book 1961! i was very chuffed with myself :D

Anyone else found zoo related items in unusual places?

Thanks
    Stu

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I can appreciate your excitement.

My favorite find was at a ephemera and old book show where I found a stereographic picture of Hagenbeck's exhibit at the 1900 St. Louis World's Fair...a typical Hagenbeck "mini-panorama" five years before the Tierpark opened

3. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Best find for me was a rare signed copy of "Zoo Design: The Reality of Wild Design" by Polakowski in a Half Price Books store.

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

On a visit to London in the late 80s I went to a small town walked into a second hand book store walked over to the right back corner on a shelf a little above eye level was the book "Run Rhino Run" which I had read about (and wanted) but never thought I ever see one as they were so out of date, I never looked for anything else just thought buy it and leave (it was just too lucky).

5. stubeanz

Talking of signed books ive also got a signed copy of "Life Through A Lens" by The Natural History Museum and signed by the authors, i found this in a charity shop aswel...

6. stubeanz

I visited the same charity shop today and found a guide book from Chester Zoo (1990) and also from Cotswold Wildlife Park (1987), talk about lucky! Im guessing there's a zoo enthusiast locally!

Anybody know where i can buy guide books online? as this has really sparked some interest in me.
    Thanks
    Stu

7. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I found a London Zoo guide from the 1970's i think, in english, in a second-hand book market in a small town in Holland... figure the odds on that. Was pretty funny, i bought it allthough i don't collect them :rolleyes:

8. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I've bought quite a few on EBay over the years: 19th Century Philadelphia Zoo, early 20th LZS, very early Hagenbeck Tierpark, etc. (I like the old stuff)

9. stubeanz

great :) I'l keep an eye on Ebay then, ive got to admit i also love the old guide books thats realywhat im looking for really :D
    Stu